Door panel/Speaker Q

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

axplayer

Door panel/Speaker Q

Post by axplayer »

Hi. I'm new here. I just got a 04 Chevy Aveo Hatchback and since it's actually a Daewoo I thought I'd get a better response here. One of the worst features on the car is the undersized speakers. I would like to remove the door panel in order to change speakers. I have been finding conflicting information regarding the front speaker size. I've read they were 5 In. but Crutchfield lists them as 4. So I'd like to remove the panel in order to see. It seems either way, I'd like to put in 5.25 in the front. I think the cd/mp3 head unit will be ok once I add an amp...but speakers first! I've done a google search (maybe not as in-depth) but haven't found any thing. If anyone knows how to do this or have information leading to the sucessful completion of this small experiment in any way, please share it. I thank you...especially my ears. :lol:

MoFo -- I got power windows and I just read a comment from you in another post that power windows are easier to work with. Please explain.
Last edited by axplayer on Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

do you have power or manual windows?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
maded

Post by maded »

stock speakers are 4.5" front, and 4x6 rear.

I know people who upgrade the fronts to 6.5" - you need a slim speaker design (not too big magnets) and a MDF ring to space it.
chris2511
Super

Post by chris2511 »

I upgraded to 6" ones in the front, they were deep too coz they were sony ones, just make sure you have a good bracket which will hold them, i made one out of mdf and it worked great. Good Luck.
Two rights do not make a wrong.
When blondes have more fun, do they know it?
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Along these same lines, what are the speaker sizes of a Lanos 4Door? Are they the same as the Aveo?

and I'm going to have to remove the interior molding to change the front speakers... aren't I?
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

the lanos has 4 inch speakes in front. you could easly get 6 1/2 in there the way i put my speakers in
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/s ... rpanel.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/s ... peaker.jpg
i cut the stock speaker grill out and put the spaker through it

JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Sounds perfect. I think I'll be doing something very similar when I do mine. :) Thanks for the info.
axplayer

more info

Post by axplayer »

Thanks for the info and I'm sorry if I'm alittle stupid about this but how exactly does the MDF increase the speaker hole size?
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Well... I think what he's saying is that he made a custom bracket to mount his 6" speakers in there. When I did mine with 5.25" speakers in the front, I modified the door panel by removing the original "grill" and mounted my speakers directly to the interior molding. You can read more about it in this thread.

By the way... the stock rear speaker size in a Lanos is 6.5 inches.
chris2511
Super

Post by chris2511 »

The MDF ring basically gives the speaker a bit more space between the door and itself, so the magnet isnt touching the door at all, without the mdf ring you can really mount 6 inch speakers unless u did what Johnny C and Daewoomofo did.
Two rights do not make a wrong.
When blondes have more fun, do they know it?
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

I mounted 6 1/2 inch speakers in the doors of my Lanos with MDF adapter rings that I made.
The only problem I have is the bottom of my door panels do not fit all the way, so there is a small gap between the bottom of the door panel and the door.
The good thing is that since it is at the bottom, no one can see it unless they are looking up from under the car with the door is open! :)
axplayer

cutting panels

Post by axplayer »

Thanks for all the info. So it seems I will have to actually cut through the door panel and mount the speakers from outside (correct me if I am wrong). The speaker holes in the door panels are in something like a tripizode pattern. Don't think this is going to look too nice because the speaker would be nice and round but it will be sourrounded by small holes...besides the panel tappers inward towards where the bottome of the speaker would sit. I hope some understands me...I'm zooted so I don't even understand myself...right now. Anyway ...thanks again.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

ah i see, you have a SX model lanos. johnny c and i have th base line S model, you would probly be better off making the MDF rings like Oz did, the S models have different door panels then the SX so yeah it would look kinda funny the way that i came up with for my doors.

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

daewoomofo wrote:ah i see, you have a SX model lanos.
Really??
axplayer wrote:Hi. I'm new here. I just got a 04 Chevy Aveo Hatchback...
:lol:

Go read the whole thread. :)

--

The doors with power windows have more room under the panels for speakers, so MDF rings used for bigger speakers is the way to go... and you get to keep the door panels uncut so that no one can see you have put better speakers in.
That is nice because the less people can see that is after market upgraded equipment in your car, the less reason they have to break into your car and try to steal things.

Cliff
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i read the thread when it started, i just have a horrable memory, sorry i should have looked before i typed.
my bad :smt021