LeMans Instr Panel Bulb

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

CarSick

LeMans Instr Panel Bulb

Post by CarSick »

I need 4 new bulbs for the instrument gauge cluster on my 88 Pontiac LeMans. The markings on the bulb/integral twist-lock base are "Toshiba V2" "OS 12/12". The base looks like this one: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... 74_t15.htm, except for having a bulb instead of an LED.

This page displays the GM part numbers for the bulbs, but I'm not quite sure if the drawing is correct.
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly ... bly=397509

The bulbs appear to be discontinued by GM.

Can anyone verify that the smallest bulbs are T1.5 as in the first link?
88 LeMans, Full SAAB 900 Suspension/Brakes, 1.6L Engine, Lanos 5 spd MT Conversion from 3 spd Auto, 273k miles
Daniel
Expert

Re: LeMans Instr Panel Bulb

Post by Daniel »

Can't answer your question but separate wedge bulbs are still available as pull&push replacement.
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/Wedge-Bulbs-c-1230/ .
Your ref "OS 12/12" seems standing for 12volt / 1.2watt bulb.

I recommend you to stay on only one type of bulbs (led or incandescent) to avoid uneven luminosity of your dashboard.
CarSick

Post by CarSick »

Thanks for your help! The 286 base from your link was the part that let me find the bulb on the internet. The bulbs are:

Incandescent Miniature
12 volt
1.2 Watt
T1.5 Glass
Width: 5mm
Height: 17.4 mm
W2x4.6d - European sub-miniature wedge (286)

It turns out that they are pinch bulbs that can be separated from the base. It just takes some doing.
88 LeMans, Full SAAB 900 Suspension/Brakes, 1.6L Engine, Lanos 5 spd MT Conversion from 3 spd Auto, 273k miles
CarSick

Post by CarSick »

I got the bulbs and installed them. I switched to red to preserve night vision. Also of interest was that the dimming functions never worked while I've had the car, so I fixed those. The one on the left dims the center console, while the one to the right of the steering wheel dims the instrument panel. While 5 of the panel lights were burnt out, the real reason that none of the other lights were lighting was because the dimmers were corroded. To fix them, I read an internet recipe for fixing the variable resistors on speakers. It called for a glass of white vinegar with as much salt as the solution would take. It turns out that a small glass of vinegar will take practically a whole shaker of salt. That's amazing in itself, but the solution works great and in about 2 minutes, the parts were clean and new. To neutralize the acid, I then set them in baking soda solution. Then I let them dry, blew them out and applied dielectric tune-up clean to prevent further oxidation.

They work like new now and everything lights up.
daz

Post by daz »

Sounds good :)