Temp Gauge Needle Past Max Lanos

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

c_ochoa88

Temp Gauge Needle Past Max Lanos

Post by c_ochoa88 »

I recently installed a new engine in my Lanos, the car seems fine but the temperature gauge needle is touching the little rest bar in the opposite side!! I dont really know if its the thermostat or the temperature control sensor ( i think its the tcs cuz both hoses from the radiator get hot). There is also liquid coming out of the coolant resevoir cuz of built up pressure. Can any one help me with this????
benzino
Expert

Re: Temp Gauge Needle Past Max Lanos

Post by benzino »

have you checked the radiator for blockages?

do a cooling system flush and really clean out the radiator...

why did you replace the engine?

only drive the car if you have to or the head gasket will go (if it hasn't already)
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
c_ochoa88

Post by c_ochoa88 »

I did flush the radiator before i put it in with the new engine. I blew the old one on the way back from a road trip to northern california, the engine had leaked oil the whole way there and back from the oil pan cuz the little screw was loose apparently. Do you think i should just replace the head gasket along with a flush?? Do the sensors have anything to do with the temp. gauge?
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

if the headgasket hasn't gone then you don't need to replace it... you should get a compression test to check or see if there is water and oil mixing in the radiator resevoir

the sensor does tell the temp gauge what temp it is, but if it's boiling over it has nothing to do with sensors

take the radiator out, check for blockages externally (like bugs or leaves) and then flush it with a hose until the water runs clear
then take the thermostat out and do the same to the block

refill with anti-freeze anti-boil coolant not just corrosion inhibitor
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
c_ochoa88

Post by c_ochoa88 »

So I flushed the radiator, I removed the speedometer cluster and moved the needle to the other side. It works fine now, but... the reservoir is still leaking :( Imma try and seal it with som'n see if that takes care of it.