Sensor wire splicing

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

wessock
Junior

Sensor wire splicing

Post by wessock »

Ok, I don't know that much about electronics, but I can do basic stuff like install a new head unit and things. I replaced my camshaft position sensor twice and still am getting intermittent po342 codes. I think I may see a section of wires that look kinked from the plastic cover between the sensor and the injectors. My question is, can I just cut and splice new wire or will that mess up the sensor's signal somehow?
woodang

Post by woodang »

I am not to familiar with the flow of electricty but when you cut and splice wire you lose the intergrity of the currnet. this is given to me by an electrician. Ultimately you would want to rerun the wire from point A to point B. . keeping the wire whole is the best bet. that and you are less likely to short. if you can't rerun the wires then solder and make sure seal the insulator well so the elements don't get to the work you've done.

hope that helps out
roric
01 Lanos
Looking to make something out of my lanos
Looking for links for bolt on products for my woo any help?
-the garage
1991 honda accord ex sedan stock
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII Completely stock with 27xxx
1991 Yamaha xj600s 600cc
wessock
Junior

Post by wessock »

Thanks. Rerunning the whole thing isn't really an option because I can't even find a wiring diagram for a Lanos that includes the camshaft position sensor. It seems like over kill anyway. I've read that with O2 sensors that you can't really cut and splice new wire in because it messes up the signal. I'm not sure how picky the camshaft sensor signal is and don't want to cut and splice without knowing if it should work. The sensor seems like a pretty basic thing from what little I know of it, on or off as the magnet picks up the signal, so I would think splicing would be ok. I just want to be sure first though. Anybody else have any input?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'm pretty sure that is a shielded cable.... but I could be wrong.

If it is.... then replacement is the easiest route since splicing won't usually work.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
wessock
Junior

Post by wessock »

There are 3 wires, one being a ground, are the 2 others both shielded? How can I tell if they are shielded ahead of time if they are shielded? I need to get this fixed by next Friday because if the light comes on during my state inspection I'll fail. I really don't wanna pay some guy $90/hr to poke around and do most of the same things I've already done and could easily do myself. Thanks everybody
wessock
Junior

Post by wessock »

Well I think I figured out the wiring for it. I'm going to try and find a wiring harness in a junkyard today. Looks like there is a small one that connects the injectors and camshaft sensor to the same plug. Anybody know if the connectors to the injectors just pop out easily? I'm always afraid of breaking the plastic by pulling too hard. If not, I found info on how to splice together shielded wires if the signal wire is shielded.
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

good luck with that Wessock. let us know how it turns out.
wessock
Junior

Post by wessock »

Well found about a dozen Nubrias and 4 or 5 Leganzas, but no Lanoses. I did cut into wiring of a Nubria's and Leganza's cam sensor, and they aren't shielded wires so at least I got that good news. I'll try splicing the small section that I think could be the bad wiring. If that doesn't work, I'm just going to bypass all of the connector plugs and just splice and run wires directly from the sensor to the ECU, the fuse, and a ground. If that doesn't work, then.....anybody wanna buy a Lanos?
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

Hey Wessock.....I was reading and somewhere in one of the topics someone said that they were getting those codes and they bent the sensor so that it was closer to the camshaft and it fixed the problem. they had replaced theirs a few times too. I am not familiar with where it is or how it works but I know I read that on this forum somewhere. you may want to search it out, especially if nothing else works.
wessock
Junior

Post by wessock »

Hey, yeah I had thought of that myself and tried it before I replaced the sensor. Didn't make a difference unfortunately.