Gas Gauge Weirdness

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Bob3825

Gas Gauge Weirdness

Post by Bob3825 »

Guys in the past days i've had this weird problem, i tried searching all over the internet but can't seem to find someone that experienced this

when i fill my gas tank, the needle goes up very very slowly, it takes about 10 minutes and it never comes down when i turn off the car, it only comes down as the gas tank is emptied and also comes down very slowly, actually i was modding my cluster the past days to white color and changing the Leds, i noticed that if i move any needle around it always goes back to the original point,only the gas gauge never goes back and its very heavy to move around

could it be the DC motor of the gauge needs replacing or something?
99 1.6 3dr lanos
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

nope... all Lanos's are like that. nothing you can do about it.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
Bob3825

Post by Bob3825 »

wow no one has ever found a fix for it? has anyone tried replacing the DC motor at least so i wouldn't do it
99 1.6 3dr lanos
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

Are guages are the old float style if I'm not mistaken...that's why they move slowly...anyone I've ever seen mess with that style ends up with a guage that doesn't work...most newer cars got fully electronic gas guages but lanos was a cheap car so it got the old style...I'm not sure of the real name for them I've always called them float style...and if it's float style then it's gonna be slow but at least its accurate.

Jimmy
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

yeah you just kinda have to live with it.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

at least you will know if you have fuel before you start a trip
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

I have never seen a car with a fuel gauge that does drop when you turn the ignition off...

I thought every cars fuel gauge stayed where it was when you turned it off.
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Bob3825

Post by Bob3825 »

No my old car always dropped when ignition was off,
well its not hard to live with as long as its accurate, oh and does any one know if the fuel warning light comes on when the needle drops or when the actual gas in the tank drops?
99 1.6 3dr lanos
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

i have,
my dad's rover does it and so does the peugeot i have
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

benzino wrote:I have never seen a car with a fuel gauge that does drop when you turn the ignition off...

I thought every cars fuel gauge stayed where it was when you turned it off.
most german car's fuel gauge drops when ignition is off, some newer japanese cars do. it's nothing special, it's just a case of whether its got an analogue or digital fuel gauge.
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

My gas light comes on but only after the needle is way past the red line after the Empty line it actually hits the little bump stop before my light comes on...I know cause I drove around one day till it came on to see if it worked...

Jimmy
Bob3825

Post by Bob3825 »

so it probably is wired straight to the tank and not the needle, well i hope it is so if the needle goes crazy, the light will still be accurate
99 1.6 3dr lanos
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

Just see how far you can go on a full tank of gas and write it down...then if the guage ever quits you can just set the tripometer thing or write down the miles each time you fill up and know when to get gas.

Jimmy
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

jidasas wrote:My gas light comes on but only after the needle is way past the red line after the Empty line it actually hits the little bump stop before my light comes on...I know cause I drove around one day till it came on to see if it worked...

Jimmy
ive had to do that before, cos i didnt think my fuel warning light was working, the lanos fuel gauge is very inaccurate when it comes to the last quarter tank. ive only ever seen my fuel light come on once, and the needle was below the red area, but the engine didnt cut out, still had bout half gallon left cos i could hear it splashing around lol.
Bob3825

Post by Bob3825 »

Ok here is a thought, what is the possibility of a honda gauge cluser fiting in the lanos wiring wise because i just can't resist how this gauge looks

99 1.6 3dr lanos