Cracked Dash - Any ideas? Tips?

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

RichieOzzie
Junior

Post by RichieOzzie »

Am not entirely sure, but I think there is a thread/link about removing the Dash somewhere.

There are some pretty concise details on removing the clocks etc on this site, seems we have all done it at some time.

Tip... check all bulbs at the back of clocks are in good condition, it will save you time in the future!!, and black ones...change 'em.

!!!! Make sure you disconnect the battery first !!!!

The Dash has a steel tube running from one side to the other, this is part of the chassis too, this is one thing you need to move. The Dash has pin locators on it, and this is what it "hangs" on.

There are there are bolts at either end. More bolts at the bottom of the centre console, where the support is fixed to, you need to take the gear stick/certre console away too, it makes it all easier.

The Dash has covers held on underneath the Dash as such, all held in place with x-head self tapping screws, this will give you easier access to the switches etc. Take the Glove-box out too, via same method.

When you have done this, you will end up with a shallow "T" piece shaped dash(effectively!!), where it is fixed in the middle, and outside edges, and the few bolts at the top too, there are ones in the corners at the top, and 2 in the centre at the top, all under cover caps. Dont forget the ones behind the radio/pocket area too.

I took the Clocks out(see the threads/links in this forum), and the steering wheel column covers off, followed by the indicator and lighting switches, they all clip/screw in.

Also disconnect the Heater/ air control cables.
The heater does not need to move...., but the levers came off with the dash, and if you dont disconnect them first, they WILL break the end clips, and they are NOT easy to get replaced. This is the BIG one to watch out for here!

Take out the Air-vents, and re-locate the tubing to them for now.

There are a few bolts around the edges of the plastic of the dash, get them out. Take off the "A" pillar caps... they get in the way!!

Basically, the dash sits on a Pole that runs across the dash. It is fixed under the centre of the dash to the floor, and at the top to the firewall.

You may want to rip out the Radio to help access.

Pull out any switches on the dash, and dis-connect them...as the loom is fixed to the Firewall, and switches to the Dash-board capping, you may stress the cables a bit.... And remember which way they go back!!.

The dash is almost a cover for the bits behind it, and if I remember correctly, there are a few bolts at the top of the dash too, get them out. When you open the doors, there are plastic covers on the side of the dash, take these off, there are bolts here. and then go to the bottom of the dash at the side, there are a few here too.

You may want to take the Kick-panels out, it all makes it easier to access them.

The "Bad Boy" is the Heater control area, you need broken fingers to disconnect the control panel from the unit itself!!.

Sorry about the almost imprecise documentation, but there is a lot of "tuggin and looking" involved. BUT, all you need to do is get the dash to come toward you that vital distance to get the metal strip off.

I used the G/F's make-up mirror to see at the back once I had space to get in there... and cursed the Rear-view mirror a few times.... I kept banging my head on it!!!

Am sure you will manage it, just give yourself plenty of space about the car, dont be afraid to take things out, it makes it easier. I had a heap of bolts and screws, but they all went back.

Like I said, it was a real so-and-so to do, but somewhat pleasing when completed.

Any worries, post up here, I'll get back to you.

Happy hunting!
chris2511
Super

Post by chris2511 »

Thanks for the advice ill try it, hope i dont screw anything up lol :D :badgrin:
Two rights do not make a wrong.
When blondes have more fun, do they know it?
headly

Post by headly »

Well I tried the hot glue gun, the glue wouldnt adhere to the dash, so I guess I'll have to buy a dash mat and cover it...........or perve at the other female drivers a little harder so I dont stare at it........or I could just let the dust cover it........I like the perving option more !!
chris2511
Super

Post by chris2511 »

How much would a new dash cost, i got a quote of 650 just to reskin it!!
headly

Post by headly »

Mate I wouldnt have a clue, in fact I didnt even think about it, mainly due to high probability of it costing a bucketload of $$$. I considered going to a wrecker, but none of them here have any 'woo's in stock.
chris2511
Super

Post by chris2511 »

Same here, i want to go to a wrecker coz buying a replacement one new is gonna cost $$$$$ Let me know if you find one.
chris2511
Super

Post by chris2511 »

I cant get the bolts out any tips?
cpd
Super

Post by cpd »

Poke them with a stick. :P
Big Eye Pictures - Best art evar!
chris2511
Super

Post by chris2511 »

Very helpful Cpd :lol:
broken

Post by broken »

I also have a crack in my 1999 lanos and I was told to ring a panel repair shop that does plastic welding. I could get a 2nd hand dash from wreckers but man! have you seen how hard it is to take a dash out? NOT AN OPTION.... untill I can either get it plastic welded or a replace dash installed... Ill use a dash mat.... must be the weather in oz that doesnt like dashes...
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

atually ive recently taken my dash out, not that hard.
total of about 3 hours, note: the passanger airbag doesnt need to be removed to take dash out

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!