install tacho on lanos?

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Efrain A. wrote:He had an 8v 1.5
i don't know man... :roll:

i will try to get the cluster from a friend and try it first... i don't want to spend money on the cluster then fine out it doesn't work because i am not that good with electric stuff... your confirmation is pretty relaxing though.

just one more question... what year was that lanos of Erfinder's??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I think you guys are misunderstanding me....

I didn't replace my cluster.... I installed an aftermarket tachometer on my 2000 Daewoo Lanos 1.5L SOHC by tapping into the wiring that leads into the cluster.

Basicly all of the versions of the Lanos will have the same wiring harness no matter what engine, transmission or model.

Daewoo does this because it's ten times cheaper to make a single harness to fit all types of Lanos than it is to create six or seven totally different wiring harnesses.

Given that some of these models of Lanos came with a tachometer the ECU and wiring harness still support it on the Lanos models that did not come with a tach ( the wire leads to nothing.... just a dead end on the back of the instrument cluster )

I promised that I would give you info on the wiring but unfortunatly my manual doesn't seem to have it listed since it was specificly for a USA model (so it doesn't show the tachometer wiring )

Basicly I removed the instrument cluster and if I remember correctly I think it had writing on the back of the cluster saying "tachometer" in one area.

I just traced the line back to the connector, figured out which wire it was and attached my tachometer to it.... that's it.... simple as pie.

I sold my Lanos to a friend.... so perhaps she will let me pop off the cluster and take a picture of the wire I tapped into.
Markthomasz

Post by Markthomasz »

Erf, I'm afraid that's not right - I *also* thought that all models would have the same wiring harness, but it's not correct. At least not in models that came to Australia. For a start, the ECU is in a completely different location, and on the 1.5 litre tacho-less models, there is no spare wire at the instrument cluster for the tacho signal. Did *any* 1.5's in Oz have a tacho, I wonder? It wasn't an option when I bought mine in late 2002 - I *did* ask (and mine was a special order anyway, so there was no reason for them to mislead me!).

And aside from that, the wire (green-black IIRC?) , that carries that fully-usable tach signal on the 1.6 litre models... well, on the 1.5l model it does not carry a usable signal. Trust me on this! I was delighted to find this thread, because no-one to date has been able to solve this issue for me either!

I'm going down to get those diodes tomorrow!!! Thanks, guys!!!
favul

Post by favul »

so who has tried this with the diodes and made it work cos i tried it and couldnt get it to work
yea17s

Post by yea17s »

also didnt work for me either
car is coming along ever so slowly, gotta stop getting my funds of the government
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Well, some tachometers come with an internal switch that allows you to set it for 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. Usually, when you take the back cap off, there is a small switch. At first I saw it and was like "WTF?", but I noticed that a worn sticker underneath said 4,6,8 cyl. At least thats the way it is with Autometer.

I'm guessing that it might be set to 8 cylinders so you are only getting maybe half an RPM read. Cause initally it was set to 8 and I had a wrong readout.
Donn

No-go for Tacho wiring - 1.5 Lanos SE (RHD)

Post by Donn »

Tried all the options this afternoon, green wire with black stripe method plus the diode method. Still no signal. Anyone else in Australia/NZ who've been successful in wiring their 1.5 Lanos SE? Can't be my tacho as it's brand new from Autobarn (Magnum brand 80mm tachometer)

Any help is much appreciated.

Donn
lex86

Post by lex86 »

Just a popper to point out the how to i wrote for how to intsall an aftermarket Tacho on my car.

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... 4866#34866
-Lex

The future will come!
Told ya, its already here!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

thanks for the effort bro but note that our lanoses got DIS ignition so our signal wiore comes from the ECU... and that is what we are all trying to hunt down.

MMamdouh
joseanevo

Post by joseanevo »

Has anyone try to get the signal direct from the Cam Sensor located in the Engine Bay....???
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i have asked about that before and it turned out that the 1.5 SOHC got no cam position sensor... it only got the crank position sensor.

MMamdouh
joseanevo

Post by joseanevo »

Well mine is a 1.5 SOHC and it does have one it it just located behing the timing cover in the upper part where the TSU is located, at the intake manifold right side, remember your right side of the car not your right..... (Temperature Sending Unit) look carfully you will see it there in case no one founds it let me know i have a pic of it just don't know how to post it......
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

ok i can't figur out the location you mentioned so i will go with the "pic" option".

first you have to upload the pic into the album section of the forum.

next you have to make a new post then copy and paste the URL of the pic you uploaded.

hilight the pic's URL then press the "Img" botton from the tools above the text box then submitt the post.

MMamdouh
joseanevo

Post by joseanevo »

Yeap easy jejejej i'll take the pic and send it to you ok mmamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

ok man... wating for your pic :wink:

MMamdouh