Sirius radio problem

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

wessock
Junior

Sirius radio problem

Post by wessock »

I doubt many people will have experience with this, but I'm having an issue with my Sirius satellite unit. I have a Kenwood head unit that has a SIR-KEN1 Sirius Connect box connected to it. Both are fairly new from x-mas time. A few days ago I was listening to a Sirius station when the audio stopped and it wouldn't let me change channels. I can change sources on the kenwood, but the satellite source isn't working. It just says "SAT" and doesn't act like it's acquiring a signal or any other message. I reset to defaults, power cycled, disconnected/reconnected all of the cables and antennae, but nothing works. The problem is I can't tell if the issue is with the head unit or the sirius unit. Their tech supports are useless because they must be from overseas because when they hear one key word they start to go on about something that is completely unrelated to what I'm asking them. The sirius unit doesn't have any kind of display or power light to tell even basic functionality, and the dumb kenwood doesn't have any kind of indicator to tell if it's actually seeing that the sirius is connected. Anybody have a clue?
Carr

Re: Sirius radio problem

Post by Carr »

Did you install it yourself or have it done at a shop? If you had a shop do it, then take it back to them and get them to have a look. Have you checked the wiring to the Sirius unit? A plug or wire may have come loose. Also check the fuses incase one has blown.
'02 Daewoo Nubira J150 CDX Limited 2.0L
Deck: Alpine CDA-9887
Front: Kicker KS600.2
Rear: Removed
Speaker Amp: 4 Channel Fusion Powerplant FP1404
Sub: 15" Fusion Comp
Sub Amp: Epsilon EA-5000D
Personal Best SPL: 145.6dB - Street B
wessock
Junior

Re: Sirius radio problem

Post by wessock »

Installed it myself. It's a very basic install, just the antennae cable and the signal/power cable (one cable to power and communicate with the head unit, no fuses) and like I said, had disconnected and reconnected them several times trying to fix it. I fixed it now though after I found a buried post in a stereo forum. Basically you have to start the car, turn the head unit source to a FM radio station, turn the car off, disconnect the sirius unit for 15 seconds and then reconnect while the car is off, start the car, and then turn back to satellite. Fixed it for now and hopefully it will stay that way. Now that I discovered the super secret Harry Potter spell to reset the thing it's not a big deal if it locks up again though. Once every 6 months I can deal with since I just have the sirius box velcro taped to the bottom of the foot vents under the center console.