leak/water in with spare tire (Nubira 02 Wagon)

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MrbLOB9000

leak/water in with spare tire (Nubira 02 Wagon)

Post by MrbLOB9000 »

was doing a little work on my car and flip up the spot I put some tools in the trunk (the little flip up section between the spare tire and the bumper) and found a little water damage and some parts of my tools were a little rusty (like screwdriver bits). flipped up the section where the spare tire is and I have dirty rings in the tub around the spare tire. So I have a leak from somewhere.

Buddy of mine said it's likely a pugged drain somewhere else that is overflowing into there but I haven't looked yet.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to look?

(moderators: please move if this is not the appropriate forum or another forum will get more/better replies)
Daniel
Expert

Re: leak/water in with spare tire (Nubira 02 Wagon)

Post by Daniel »

Have had the same problem. After hours of hunting the infiltration (blue lines on pic) was found at a open joint between two metal sheets behind the trunck rubber seal. There was already rust in the joint. Cleaned rust and filled joint with silicone mastic. Haven't changed rubber seal. So far so good.
You can check infiltration spots with a chalk line (yellow here) all around the tub.

Good luck!
MrbLOB9000

Post by MrbLOB9000 »

I'm not sure I understand where the water was coming in. What two piece of metal needed to be sealed? did you need to take off the plastic around the bottom that the trunk seal is attached to?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Sorry for my poor english.

You need to remove the grey horizontal plastic trim first.
Then remove the black rubber trunk seal. At least bottom and r/l sides.
Then you'll discover the spot welded metal foils, parts of body.

I do not guarantee that your problem is there, but in my case the water flowed along the black rubber seal and entered the normally sealed joint between the two body parts behind the seal.