clunk and knocking noise

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

jd daewoo

clunk and knocking noise

Post by jd daewoo »

For a few years now I have had a knocking noise on the front passenger side when I go over a bump or sudden dip. It also does it if I apply the brake quickly. I have checked the ball joints several times and seems to be tight. Turning the wheel has no affect nor does turning the steering wheel. Also the car must be in motion for the noise to occur (reverse or drive). Could this be a worn strut? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
benzino
Expert

Re: clunk and knocking noise

Post by benzino »

strut tops, engine/gearbox mount, blown strut... it could be a number of things

is there an oil mark on the strut?
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
jd daewoo

Post by jd daewoo »

I am not sure if there is an oil line or not on the stock struts. I know that there is an oil line on the replacement struts available a parts stores. I believe the only way to fill them is by removing them from the car first, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I've tried pressing down on the corners of the car to check the strut response but both sides seem equal although its hard to tell. Also the car sets lower on the affected side by about 2 inches. By the way, I don't think I gave the specs. Its a 1999 Daewoo Lanos, 1.6L, hatchback sx.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

not oil line, an oil mark. if the strut blows it lets out pressure and oil and it can be seen as a stain on the shock.

my front left shock had blown and the car rolled around but there was no clunking
jd daewoo

Post by jd daewoo »

Oh. Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I never noticed any residue or an oil mark, but it didn't dawn on me to check the strut until several months later. I checked the ball joints and brake caliper and pads. Couldn't locate it and it wasn't getting worse so, I figured I'd ignore it until it got worse. Took 2 yrs and its finally getting louder. With that said, would the mark be long gone if the car had been washed and driven for 6 months or so.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

unless you have pressure washed the shock it self, then there might still be a mark.

if you jack up the car and grab the front left wheel, can you wiggle it from side to side?
woo99SE

Post by woo99SE »

why are you getting so technical about a strut. all there is to look is if the strut is soaked with oil . right at the top where the shaft gets in and out. :roll:

how about the strut tops you have not answered that.
1999 Lanos 1.6 DOHC Central Florida
jd daewoo

Post by jd daewoo »

Strut to my knowledge has no signs of oil soak. The tops appear to be fine. No movement in tire when jacked up. The car was hit on the affected side several years ago, but problem didn't start until a few years after.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

sticky brake caliper?
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
jd daewoo

clunk and knocking noise Solved!

Post by jd daewoo »

I took the A-Frame off trying to narrow down the noise. Turns out the factory riveted ball joint was loose. The integrity of the rivets was good, however it was as if the factory didn't get it tight. I bought some Moog ball joints, took both A-Frames off and drilled the stock joints out. I put the Moog's on, put it back together and viola, it drives better than it ever has... noise is completely gone. The factory joints weren't worn out, but they were worn. If the rivets had of been tight, I'd be willing to guess they would have lasted another 20,000 miles before they would have to be replace. Also, it appeared tight while on the vehicle, but only loose when taken off, so if someone has this type of problem and suspect the ball joints, but they check out, take the A-Frame off and check 'em.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
Daniel
Expert

Re: clunk and knocking noise Solved!

Post by Daniel »

jd daewoo wrote:I took the A-Frame off trying to narrow down the noise. Turns out the factory riveted ball joint was loose. The integrity of the rivets was good, however it was as if the factory didn't get it tight. I bought some Moog ball joints, took both A-Frames off and drilled the stock joints out. I put the Moog's on, put it back together and viola, it drives better than it ever has... noise is completely gone. The factory joints weren't worn out, but they were worn. If the rivets had of been tight, I'd be willing to guess they would have lasted another 20,000 miles before they would have to be replace. Also, it appeared tight while on the vehicle, but only loose when taken off, so if someone has this type of problem and suspect the ball joints, but they check out, take the A-Frame off and check 'em.
Thank you for return and advice.