hatch gas shock (aka trunk lid spring)

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

J_Elliott

hatch gas shock (aka trunk lid spring)

Post by J_Elliott »

Hi, My lanos 1.5 hatchback needs a replacement gas shock for the rear hatch, I want to grab one from the local U-pick salvage yard - anyone know if this shock is the same as one on some other vehicle make and model? being able to narrow it down a bit would save me muchos time wandering around the yard with the old one.

cheers,
Jeremy
Last edited by J_Elliott on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemasys
Junior

Post by Nemasys »

Shocks are a pretty important part of your suspension, when one goes bad dont change it for one from a junk yard, always get a new one, you can get both rear shocks for like 40 buks band new. You dont wanna end up in the ditch because you were too cheap to put new shocks then ones from a junk yard that are used.
2004 Aveo Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged
- T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
- HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
- FMIC with 2.5" piping
- Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57
J_Elliott

Post by J_Elliott »

hi, sorry - i mean the gas spring that lifts up the hatch,

part number 15 in the picture

Nemasys
Junior

Post by Nemasys »

Ohhhhhhh ok that shines some light heh, yeah that wouldnt be a problem, im not sure about the part number but im sure you can find one off any lanos hatch i think its all the same thing.
2004 Aveo Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged
- T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
- HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
- FMIC with 2.5" piping
- Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57
J_Elliott

Post by J_Elliott »

i was kinda hoping that maybe some other common vehicle had the same or similar gas spring, not many woos in the yards (which is a good sign) :-)
J_Elliott

AHA!!!

Post by J_Elliott »

Ok - I spent almost 3 hours wandering around a local wrecking yard here in Toronto (Standard Auto on Sewels Road) with my old gas lift spring for the rear hatch door.

THe one from a 1992 Honda Civic hatchback fits perfectly, same length open and closed, exact same bolts, everything.

I bolted mine in right in the parking lot and VOILA! I dont have to hold up the hatch with my snow shovel anymore

Cheers
Jeremy

btw - that same red honda still has one left on it at the wreckers PM me if you want details on where it is