painting headlights

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Rodd1s
Expert

painting headlights

Post by Rodd1s »

ok, ive searched thru about 25 pages worth for a thread i saw ages ago.

the thread in question is where someone disassembled their Lanos' headlights and painted the inner surrounds black, so it looks like its got headlight masks.

the specific info i'm after is the disassembling part of the job.

has any one got any info on it? or pictures?

or would i be alrite just taking evrything apart until i find success?

and is there anything to be wary of, ie: sealant glue, weak rubber seals, weak plastic parts...?
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

I've a few questions about this. Read through that section there.

How would you stop the paint form flaking due to heat in the headlights? ANy special paint you should use? special primer? Would you need to rub down the existing chrome paint to key it for the new paint?

How do you reseal them? Wouldnt putting them back in an oven make the the newly added paint flake off? Would it risk melting them?

I've heard about using a hair dryer instead. Maybe a bit safer as you can control it a bit more.

Also, one last thing, is it ok to reseal them doing this? just reheating the original glue and letting it melt back into place? Or should i silicone it too?
SAZ
---------------------
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

when you bake them after you paint them you dont bake tha part you painted, that part stays out of the oven and when you take the pieces out of the oven you attach the painted piece to it and put the clear cover back on it. no you dont have to silicone them, the origional glue is good for acouple openings. you should sand the chrome on them (its not chrome paint, its actual nickel chrome plate), of your worried about heat use engine paint, it can take heat alot warmer thant headlights.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
jorge
Expert

Post by jorge »

To open with a hair dryer yo never go back to your house because you could burn it and your wife trash you :lol: you need to buy a heat gun in home depot $15-35 and solve the problem
Con mas mec.s que un taller jajajajaja Mec. Diaz, Mec. Cheo Racing, Mec. eljunito, y ed flash tunning simplemente los mejores!
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

dude just use the oven, its safe. ive done it, just remove the bulbs befor you bake. you can controle the temp perfict and all of that stuff.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

It's the plastic on the back of my headlights i worry about o_o
SAZ
---------------------
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

lanos2001 wrote:here you go bro.

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... angel+eyes

nick
brilliant! exactly what i was looking for... why isnt that in the 'How-to' section? or did i just completely overlook it?
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

jorge wrote:To open with a hair dryer yo never go back to your house because you could burn it and your wife trash you :lol: you need to buy a heat gun in home depot $15-35 and solve the problem
yeah, ive got a heat gun. so will probly do it that way.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Rodd, what paint are you gonna use on yours? And are you gonna primer it too?
SAZ
---------------------
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

I recommend oven over heat gun...much more even heat spread. With the heat gun, you'll only get one side hot and risk cracking the lights...which is bad. You only need a few minutes in the oven, less than 6-7, just enough to make the glue gooey. Unless you fall asleep, you simple cannot damage the light.

I don't think you need any special paints, but if you're going to be doing it, you might as well use a nice high-quality engine paint that can sustain high temps. I didn't even paint mine, I just covered the chrome with some mock carbon fiber vinyl. I did this 2 years ago and I have no cracking, peeling, or bubbling. It looks totally stock.

And no additional glue is needed to seal them. Just heat them up and stick 'em back together. Idiot-proof.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Yeah idiot proof but i can be a full scale retard at times.

I've had bad visions of me reheatng the glue and driving down the road, with my car being rather stiff, hitting a 2 cm stone and the lens falling outta my headlight, thus inducing tears from my tearducts.
SAZ
---------------------
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

Pir0 wrote:Rodd, what paint are you gonna use on yours? And are you gonna primer it too?
gonna use el cheapo halfords own gloss black. at least 3 coats.

no need to primer it seeing as its chrome, just gonna key the surface with 1200 grit wet n dry paper (as i did with my grille) and the painting works a treat.

i put 3 coats on the grille without sanding between coats and it looks as if it were meant to be. bit of a flat colour still tho, so might lacquer it at some point.
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

Pir0 wrote:Rodd, what paint are you gonna use on yours? And are you gonna primer it too?
gonna use el cheapo halfords own gloss black. at least 3 coats.

no need to primer it seeing as its chrome, just gonna key the surface with 1200 grit wet n dry paper (as i did with my grille) and the painting works a treat.

i put 3 coats on the grille without sanding between coats and it looks as if it were meant to be. bit of a flat colour still tho, so might lacquer it at some point.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Reckon gloss would look better than satin or matte? I've some satin in my shed i think. Gonna give this a bash probably at the weekend. Have 4 spare headlights so cant go wrong! :D
SAZ
---------------------