Lot of Vibration and creaking

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

blumerd

Lot of Vibration and creaking

Post by blumerd »

Hey there,
Looking for some ideas for what is going on with my Daewoo Leganza. When I turn on the car and, the dashboard, steering wheel, and front side of the car vibrate a lot. You can actually see the steering wheel vibrating, and when you hold on to it; it vibrates your body. When I am driving or moving it doesn't vibrate so much, but when I am idling is when it is violently vibrating. You can also hear the vibration. So it is more than normal.

Second problem - when I go over bumps and things - the car creaks (like the sound on old bridge would make as you drive over it).
I took my car in to get new tires a while back, and at that time they said I was due for some shocks and struts. It would make sense to me that this would take car of the creaking sound when i go over bumps. But would it also cure the violent vibrations when I am idling. If anyone has had a similiar experience, or knows what is causing these problems I would appreciate your advice. Thanks for your time.
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

Well, i have a lanos, but mine is seeing simular problems, besides the sterring wheel shaking. that could be the bolt that holds she sterring wheel on could be loose. I have ordered and have in my possession KYB shocks/struts, the Generation 2 type. And, for a total from Advance Autozone in the states, was a total of $174.90 for them, front and back :D they are a really excellent in performance of what i have heard and their reputation for reliability.

-Rachal 8)
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
blumerd

Post by blumerd »

Thanks for the reply.
I will probably do the shocks and struts real soon (tax return as well), and I assume that will get rid of the creaking. But do you think this will solve the vibration problem. I'll check into the bolt for the steering wheel, but even so it is the whole dash that is shaking. Any other thoughts on what the vibration problem could be??
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

maybe a loose motor mount???

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

hmmm, i am not sure about that part, i wouldn't know about the mouting holes and brackets for the dash assembly, Thats the only thing i know of. Check the essentials of the tie rods, and the steering rack, and make sure that it sits correctly on the firewall also check everything from the suspension, even motor mounts. However, make sure that the sterring column is not loose from the bottom of the firewall from the inside, or make sure somethings not knocking against the dash. Thats all that i can think of at this time.
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
blumerd

Post by blumerd »

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into those, and check out the motor mount. Thanks for your time.
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

lanos2001 wrote:maybe a loose motor mount???

nick
When I did my engine swap ? I discovered the right-side (as viewed from drivers seat) mtr. mount was dry-rotted, cracked and very loose.
Got a new one from Auto-Zone for about $25.00 (USD)

Coulden't tell by just looking at it as it's pretty well hiden by the A/C bracket and its own bracket.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
NubiraDellwoo

Re: Lot of Vibration and creaking

Post by NubiraDellwoo »

blumerd wrote:Hey there,
Looking for some ideas for what is going on with my Daewoo Leganza. When I turn on the car and, the dashboard, steering wheel, and front side of the car vibrate a lot. You can actually see the steering wheel vibrating, and when you hold on to it; it vibrates your body. When I am driving or moving it doesn't vibrate so much, but when I am idling is when it is violently vibrating. You can also hear the vibration. So it is more than normal.

Second problem - when I go over bumps and things - the car creaks (like the sound on old bridge would make as you drive over it).
I took my car in to get new tires a while back, and at that time they said I was due for some shocks and struts. It would make sense to me that this would take car of the creaking sound when i go over bumps. But would it also cure the violent vibrations when I am idling. If anyone has had a similiar experience, or knows what is causing these problems I would appreciate your advice. Thanks for your time.
The answer to yer vibration/shaking is the passenger side motor mount... It's a jelly roll type mount... When it cracks all the goo comes out and the vibes began... I had that go out on my Nubira...

Now as far as creaks... Hell I don't know... I've given up on frinding all that little stuff from my junk...
'01 Nubira SE 2.0
jl4n3

Post by jl4n3 »

the creeks on my nubi ceased after replacing my lower control arm. Take your front tires off and look at the 2 bushings furthest in. If you see any rubber fractures or any part of the silver-ish colored ball exposed, then you need to replace the control arms...i just did mine today and you would not believe the difference...fyi, the control arm I got was complete minus the slip sleeves and cost 77 + like 6 USD shipping... http://www.rockauto.com click on the catalogue.

I hope this helps as some research from this awesome site pointed me in the right direction :D [/url]