Wheels

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

lemans93

Wheels

Post by lemans93 »

I dont know if this is the right area or not but here is my problem, I bought a 93 lemans 4 door from a guy it has 98,000 miles i wanted to take wheels off and i cant get them off, they are stock black wheels he said he never could get them off, he always had to take to shop is that normal for this car.Are these cars any good, i would like to fix up for a nice street car. Thanks
MMamdouh

Re: Wheels

Post by MMamdouh »

try spraying WD40 on the center hub and then pulling the wheels off from side to side with force

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

Well if you mean the lugs are hard to loosen? or the rim is extremely hard to remove off the hub?

If your having trouble loosening the lugs (bolts) find yourself a pipe or tube, just slip it over whatever you are using to loosen the lugs and use it as leverage to "crack" loose the lug. Some shops use compressors set at 200+psi and the torque they apply to lug nuts can make it difficult to loosen with manual hand tools.

If you are having trouble removing the rim off the hub. Just use the "BMW method" lol. Make sure the car is well supported remove all the lugs, then position yourself under the vehicle in a way that gives you easy access to kick the rim from behind, or from the inside. Give it a couple of kicks and the rims should come right off. After you remove it, use 80 grit sand paper and clean the area of the hub where the rims mounts, and apply lubricant... Antiseize works miracles. This is what we used to do in my days at bimmer...
Specializing in European & Korean Only
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
Virginia Gardens, FL 33166
(305) 871-1121

BS Mechanical Engineering 12/12 (FINALLY!)

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Engine Performance/Advance
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

you can also kick it from the outside. if you dont feel safe kicking a car that your under. ive had to do that many times

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
lemans93

Post by lemans93 »

The lugs come off easy its the wheels that dont, i got under the car and took a sledge hammer and smacked the rims hard enough to smas all the rims where the beads set, now i need to get them off to straighten the rims or replace them. thank you for responding , is there anybody else that has one of these cars on here or am i on the wrong forrum, thanks
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

lemans isnt the most common car on this forum, but since it is a daewoo your in the right place. the lanos is based on the lemans, so no worries. ive had the same problem.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

Oh they can get stuck, good too. lol. Ive seen instances where we took turns kicking wheels to get them off, safer than a hammer as you can damage wheels with the latter as in your instance. Once you do remove them and clean and lubricate the hub they should remove alot easier in the future. Anti-seize is heat and weather proof. This is a completely common occurance, which Mercedes Benz, and BMW suffer from as well, and most other vehicles which use the same lug type. Dont get discouraged, sometimes it will require great effort to get off...
Specializing in European & Korean Only
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
Virginia Gardens, FL 33166
(305) 871-1121

BS Mechanical Engineering 12/12 (FINALLY!)

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Engine Performance/Advance
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

Trey05Woo wrote:Oh they can get stuck, good too. lol. Ive seen instances where we took turns kicking wheels to get them off, safer than a hammer as you can damage wheels with the latter as in your instance. Once you do remove them and clean and lubricate the hub they should remove alot easier in the future. Anti-seize is heat and weather proof. This is a completely common occurance, which Mercedes Benz, and BMW suffer from as well, and most other vehicles which use the same lug type. Dont get discouraged, sometimes it will require great effort to get off...
I use a large rubber mallet on each side until it's loose enuf to pull off.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
lemans93

Post by lemans93 »

Thanks for the info, all this time i have been trying to get them off and i only got passenger front wheel the rest wont come off. I guess iam going to try heating them. Whenever i get them off is there some factory wheel that i could look for even if its off a different kind of car. I have never seen lug nuts like i have , the lug and stud is one piece
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

yeah... daewoos have bolts instead of nuts.

if you are going to put wheels from another car on, make sure the stud pattern is 4x100 and has an offset of ET35 - ET40. Also, you have to make sure the centre hole is bigger than the hub otherwise you will have the same problem as what you have now.
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~