saab/vectra rear beam

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

well it seems as if the 1994-1998 saab 900 was based on the vectra. so it safe to assume that the chasis from a 94-98 car has the lanos interchabgeable parts for a lanos?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_900_% ... 0_.28NG.29
it also seems as if the 2000-2005 saturn l series are vectras also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM2900_platform

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Just because they are based on the Vectra, it doesn't mean it will work.

I still can't find the info.... I even had nice color pictures of the parts printed off.... maybe I took them to work to show Tom.

Anyways.... forget the Saab900.... the one to look at is the Saab 9-3

Here are the EPC pictures... you will be pleasantly surprized to see some similarities to the Lanos

2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

My hope is to convert my Lemans over to a 5 bolt pattern.... and it will ideally use the Saab Viggen brakes (their best sports version)

Found some of the pics...

This is the front suspension (as per the EPC) and the square block is a part that can be thrown away.... I belive it's a bolt on.... but I haven't managed to find a cheap source of parts locally yet to confirm.

Here are the rear hubs.... which bolt on to the rear beam.

My hope was that I could simply unbolt the rear hub from the lanos and bolt this part on giving it an instant rear brake upgrade.

The components on the Lanos can be separated, where at the Lemans is welded together so I might take the rear end out of my Lanos and swap it with the one from my Lemans.

I also considered the idea of getting a whole rear suspension and seeing what the difference is between the two trailing arm suspsension components.

2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

we need some on from a saab forum to give us the total dimensions for the rear hub. that would be GREAT if it was a direct bolt on for a lanos.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

daewoomofo wrote:we need some on from a saab forum to give us the total dimensions for the rear hub. that would be GREAT if it was a direct bolt on for a lanos.
the biggest issue is bolt pattern. if you get the saab hub you will have to get it drilled and tapped for 4x100 or you will have to do a front hub conversion to five bolt. it's been a long time since i read it but Tom wrote a topic on the front hub conversion.

this is the buggest reason i went with the saturn conversion kit, there is no major mods needed.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Pir0 wrote:Yep, the vectra rear suspension arm/beam [cavalier instead of vectra for the UK boys] is longer, although the disks would fit onto a GTE rear suspension arm, or your lanos with the conversion plate that gse turbo sells

can someone confirm the need for conversion plates for a lanos... i want to know if this is going to be a direct swap or not.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
pollito

Re: saab/vectra rear beam

Post by pollito »

Does anybody have any more info on the saab front control arm compatability? Looking at pictures it seems the saab 900 and first gen saab 9-3 front arms will mount up to the factory steering knuckle and the front most lower bushing mount, but the rear does not have the horizontal to the ground rearward facing pin that sits in a bushing. It's vertical on those saabs. I know some folks have done the front conversion using the 900 and first gen 9-3 arms. What am I missing? It looks like the 2003+ 9-3 arms would be a fit except for the larger lower ball joint axle diameter, which I assume could be remedied by using the 2003+ knuckle, but that would also require a different damper mount. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about...
$T2eC16dHJIQE9qUHuFd1BRw,2EwT9!~~_21.jpg
Lanos arm
(24.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
s-l500_old.jpg
1st gen 9-3 arm (also 900)
(25.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
s-l500.jpg
2nd gen 9-3 arm (2003+)
(36.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet

- Kenny
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I own two OG 9.3s and a 9.5 and a lanos among others and I can say for sure the similarities stop at the strut assemblies.

That being said I have the Saab 9.3 5-bolt conversion and its great. No mods. To cut weight I would suggest upgrading to 9.5 Aero (9.3 Viggen) calipers because the are aluminum. Outside of that I doubt other mods are worth the efforts.
pollito

Post by pollito »

I went nuts and bought dampers (kyb) and springs (vogtland) for a 1999 saab 9-3 since the strut assemblies looked strikingly similar. All is good except upper spring mounts. The saab 9-3 upper portion of the spring is quite a bit wider. Need to find saab upper spring mounts or come up with something else creative.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

The setup you needed/need is...
Saab 900/9-3 strut assembly with hubs and brakes. No springs.
Saab 900/9-3 struts (or lanos, the Saab are better though)
Lanos sport springs
Lanos upper strut mounts.

It's the only way without doing serious mods to the strut towers.