saab/vectra rear beam

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

daewoomofo

saab/vectra rear beam

Post by daewoomofo »

they say the vectra rear beam/brakes can be used on the lanos/lemans. while reading a OLD post in the how to section i read that the saab 900 series is based on the vectra. would a saab rear disk setup work on a lanos? or the rear beam? or have i mixed things up and gotten 2 totaly different cars mixed up.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

theoritically speaking... yes

again i didn't have 100% proof that the vectra and lanos rear brake setup is interchangable as i didn't do it myself but as the guys here confirmed that then it is more like 97% certain... unfortunatly we got no Saabs here so i can't give any comments regarding them but again if someone can confirm that then odds are it is doable.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

all i know is... the saab 9(evrything) is based on the vectra. supposedly exact same chassic, just different shell.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

and based on a discussion with Viper... the rear beam on a vectra/saab/espero is 1.5 cm wider than a lanos but if you are going to swap the axel/brakes assebly only then it doesn't matter... although the vectra beam got an anti sway bar ;)

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Yep, the vectra rear suspension arm/beam [cavalier instead of vectra for the UK boys] is longer, although the disks would fit onto a GTE rear suspension arm, or your lanos with the conversion plate that gse turbo sells

I've got a Vauxhall Astra GTE Rear suspension arm, it has the anti sway bar aswell. The only difference between mine and the Vectra/Cavalier ones is that mine isnt 1.5cm too long. As im sure you all know the mk2 Astras are the exact same as the Nexia[cielo/racer]Lanos and Lemans

Although Garrett [gse turbo] has told me the Lemans didnt come with rear disks at al which is a bit of a bumer

SO, to answer what you originally asked, brakes yes, suspenion arm no. Well, i wouldnt use it. the one in your car is 1.5cm shorter for a reason

[EDIT]: Here's some pics of mine;

Thats my rear suspension arm, from a Vauxhall Astra [mk2] GTE, as you can see im in the middle of painting it after rubbing it all down, you can see the anti sway bar at the underside of the beam itself. I know I painted over the bolts for the sway bar but i never plan on taking it out so, it's all good. I didnt paint where the hubs mount too because i don't want them sitting our/in at different parts etc. Not finished painting it yet, waiting on the first coat to dry... UNDERSEAL TAKES FOREVER TO DRY!

Here's the disks that came on the rear of an Astra GTE over here in the UK.
I know the calipers are green :( they were green when i bought them... either going back to black, or to red. My new Fanblade wheels don't show much of them anyway, but im NOT leaving them snott-green
SAZ
---------------------
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

so then what year Saab's are supposed to be compatible?
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Hmmm, edited to remove the quote, was wrong. :oops:
SAZ
---------------------
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Saab 900S from 96-97[/quote]

:? but that is for the fronts, are the rears the same situation?
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

I would assume so since the premise of the brake conversion in the front is that the chassis were so similar
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i actually got the info from this post http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609. its the general brake upgrade post. we need a thread some where around here that has all of the different versions of cars. ie lanos=lemans=astra mk2 and saab 900 series=vectra. this would help us in getting parts that over seas people are converting for other cars.

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I should get into this discussion because I have Saab EPC and Saab service manuals and I've researched this topic heavily (since I plan to completely redo my suspension... which is the same as the lanos )

Problem is I can't find my Saab research sheets ( I now have about 500 pages of research ).... I allways write them out on scrap paper before I enter them into my research books.... but I'm now concerned that I might have misplaced them or thrown them out.

That's part of the reason why I'm not on here as much as I use to..... I usually do about 10 to 20 hours a month worth of research on various Daewoo related info.

One of these days I will compile the info and post a bunch of it.

Actually I've posted tons of stuff but it allways seems that it gets lost and is hard to find even with the search tool.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

PrecisionBoost wrote:I should get into this discussion because I have Saab EPC and Saab service manuals and I've researched this topic heavily (since I plan to completely redo my suspension... which is the same as the lanos )

Problem is I can't find my Saab research sheets ( I now have about 500 pages of research ).... I allways write them out on scrap paper before I enter them into my research books.... but I'm now concerned that I might have misplaced them or thrown them out.

That's part of the reason why I'm not on here as much as I use to..... I usually do about 10 to 20 hours a month worth of research on various Daewoo related info.

One of these days I will compile the info and post a bunch of it.

Actually I've posted tons of stuff but it allways seems that it gets lost and is hard to find even with the search tool.
what about making a new board (not thread) specifically for research (as with the 'How-to' section) so that evryone knows where to find certain info? i'm sure the mods can do this.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I had that thought since I can create new sections as a co-admin .... but the question is who gets to post in it.... I thought about locking it up for only my info..... but there are plenty of other guys that have good stuff I don't have (like the compression volume)

Getting back to the topic..... there are front suspension and rear suspension components that would be of use in a Lanos.... in fact the Saab front suspension is aluminum instead of stamped steel.

I still have no idea where those pages went..... will dig around this weekend.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

it could be like the "how to section". post a bit of info in the "general off topic" and have a admin move it to the "fun little tid bits of info" section. i like the fact that its aluminum. would the controle arms and such fit a lanos? also is it only the 96-97 saabs that are vactras? i was lookig around online and saw people selling brake rotors for saab 900 series and they were listed from like 92-96 and such. there are always some saabs at the local u pull it yards neare me, but i dont now if they are new enough. if we can use parts from older ones too that would be bad ass!