F40 6 speed Transmission ( UPDATED !!! )

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Nemasys
Junior

Post by Nemasys »

Chris.. you're a god :D

I wonder sometimes how you ever manage to find these things... Awesome work and thanks for everything your doing for the community!
2004 Aveo Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged
- T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
- HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
- FMIC with 2.5" piping
- Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

ok so if the saab tranny has the same bolt pattern is the engine part of the opel based platform like ours?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The Saab 9-3 is based upon the Opel Vectra chassis.... so yes.... it is an Opel based platform.

However...... they don't use the same iron block engines we do.... they use the Euro Ecotec ( aluminum block )

I have someone that works at a Vauxhall dealership working on a part number and price for the F40 bellhousing that fits our block.

Additionally I found a Saab F40 and I'm trying to get the company to email me a picture of the bellhousing to confirm pattern.

I have all the parts lists for the Pontiac G6 F40 ( shifter mechanisms, drive axles... everything required to make it work with our vehicles )

The bad news is that although I can pick up the tranny for about $1650 USD all the additional components really add up.... so a swap won't be cheap.... it might even get up into the $5000 USD range with a Limited Slip Differencial.

Regardless of the price I will have a couple of them so I will keep everyone informed.... and I may even produce a kit for those who require a stronger transmission for their turbo engines.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

chris@PrecisionBoost wrote:
The bad news is that although I can pick up the tranny for about $1650 USD all the additional components really add up.... so a swap won't be cheap.... it might even get up into the $5000 USD range with a Limited Slip Differencial.

Regardless of the price I will have a couple of them so I will keep everyone informed.... and I may even produce a kit for those who require a stronger transmission for their turbo engines.
My lsd that I currently have on my car wouldnt fit on the F40 would it by chance? I know it also fits the F28.

I would jump on a it if you ever made a kit. I really want a beefier 6speed tranny but being a daily driver I wouldnt ever be able to have all that stuff fabricated...or have the money to test it all out sicne I couldnt do most of the work myself. I would however be able to come up with the money if such a kit became available.

Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

No.... there isn't an LSD for the F40 yet..... but PontiacJeff manufactures plate type LSD's..... so I was going to see if he could make one for me.

I'm also going to send him an F16 differencial so that he can make an LSD for me...... his prices are about 1/2 of a Quaife.

Keep in mind there is quite a bit of difference between a plate LSD vs Quaife ATB.... the quaife is not a true LSD.... but it works better around corners than a plate type.

Plate types are great for straight line acceleration.... they do however make a "popping" noise as you turn the corner as the disks slip accross each other..... how much noise is dependant on the spring tension and ramp angles of the LSD..... it's possible that Jeff makes a "mild" one and you might not hear it around corners.

Anyways....... I'm working on it..... I hope to have some answers soon
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

PrecisionBoost wrote:I'm also going to send him an F16 differencial so that he can make an LSD for me...... his prices are about 1/2 of a Quaife.
Do you still plan on doing this?

One day...when I finally get a lanos I want a plate type LSD most likely, unless I choose to track it more than my lacetti then I might hold out for quaife. Just trying to plan ahead.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I actually took out the differencial when I was making that tool and the thought to send it to him completly slipped my mind.

Hmmmm.... I haven't seen him around in ages..... I think I might have his email somewhere..... I wonder if he's still active on Jbody.

I'd still be willing to donate it.... it should fit the F16,F20, F28 (with a small modification) so I would be interested in putting one into my F28 as well.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
spt14

Post by spt14 »

So will the F40 fit the Suzuki 2.0 Forenza? If so there are 3 on ebay for about $350-500.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Unfortunatly the F40 we have is suited for the aluminum Ecotec...... the F40 we need only exists in the UK ( bellhousing to fit our iron block motors )

If your going to pull one in from the UK (very rare and expensive) you might be better off with an F28 or M32 gearbox which are easier to come by
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Omega_5

Post by Omega_5 »

PrecisionBoost wrote:Unfortunatly the F40 we have is suited for the aluminum Ecotec...... the F40 we need only exists in the UK ( bellhousing to fit our iron block motors )

If your going to pull one in from the UK (very rare and expensive) you might be better off with an F28 or M32 gearbox which are easier to come by
Sorry to raise this thread from the dead like this, but I was wondering where you had found the ecotec style F40.
I'm in Saskatoon, SK, and happen to be looking for one.... but I'm having trouble locating one here in Canada.

Also, I read though the thread, and couldn't quiet piece it together, but what other models use the Ecotec F40?

Thanks a bunch! :)
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

well i was jsut bored so i searched for f40 transmission, found some pics.

i dont know if any one is looking at this tranny any more but i figured id post the pics

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: F40 6 speed Transmission ( UPDATED !!! )

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well.... here is a picture of the F40 (from Daewoomofo) and on the left is the mirror image of a 3.1L V6

Why does it matter that the two patterns are identical?

Simple... the Getrag 282 fits onto this 3.1L V6... and the Getrag 282 also fits onto the C20GET ( Sunbirt GT Turbo )

So if the Getrag 282 has the same pattern as the F40 then one can use the adapter plate found on the C20GET/Getrag 282 to make an F40 fit onto a C20GET or any other 2.0L engine.

At this point I am about 90% certain that I could make an F40 work..... the axles are different and there would be quite a bit of work to make it work.... but I belive that it is a very possible use.

This adapter plate from the Sunbird also explains how many of the Saab issues.... some Saab engines had our pattern and some had the pattern to match the F40.

I have to assume that the tranmission patterns and engine patterns could be interchanged by using the adapter plate
[img]F40-V6.jpg[/img]
Attachments
F40-V6.jpg
(135.05 KiB) Downloaded 1848 times
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

To make 100% sure I would need a picture of a getrag 282 from a C20GET.

Given there are lots of getrag 282's from the Quad 4 and V6's I doubt that one could find one online easily.

I'm going to head over to the J-Body forum and see if I can find a project with the 2.0L 8V turbo and Getrag 282.

Alternatively when the ground gets a little more solid (mud right now) I will go out to the wrecker and pull one apart to get pictures.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

heres the link to the f40, nice and cheap.....
http://www.allworldautomotive.com/auto_ ... 15210.html. who wants to buy me one? lol

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The gearbox is the cheap part.... making custom axles and fabricating mounts and linkage ( think it's cable based ) would be the larger cost.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos