quick off the line Automatic tips

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

quick off the line Automatic tips

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I was looking at an article in a magazine that talked about an interesting method of getting off the line very quickly with your automatic tranny.

The guy stuck his car in 2nd gear and held on the brakes hard with his left foot while putting the accelerator nearly all the way down with the right foot (2nd gear doesn't have enough power to break loose against the brakes)

When the RPM's hit 5000 the guy quickly lifts his brake foot and pops the tranny into 1st gear..... all the time keeping his foot on the accelerator.

I don't know how hard it is on the tranny but the guy was getting amazing results by foolling with the RPM level to pop it into first with. (showed 60ft time results at 3500,4000,4500,5000,5500,6000 RPM launches)

I don't have an auto tranny except for my work truck (which is shut down for the winter) so I haven't had a chance to try it.

I usually just keep one foot hard on the brake and add just enough gas that I'm just barely moving and then when the light hits green I pop my foot off the brake and go to the floor with the accelerator.

Perhaps many of you use this method allready..... if you do.... how is it on your tranny?
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

when i had my 1.5 8v auto...

i used the same method has you (hold the brake with my left foot, and add some gas...) and i never had any problems with it

ohh the old days...my car was slow has hell... but is not really fast right now :roll:
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

cant u just put it in nuetral and drop shift?
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

errrr....

you can do it if you want but that will DAMAGE your tranny...
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

so putting ur foot on the break and reving the engine would work??, cant u damage ur brake system?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The reason for putting it into 2nd gear and reving it is so that the brake system is able to keep the wheels from spinning. (2nd gear has less torque than 1st gear)

When you have it in 1st sometimes your brakes can't handle all the torque and slip. (especially if your car has lots of horsepower)

and no..... putting your foot on the brake and reving it doesn't hurt the brakes.
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

u mean a burn out?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

burn out = slow off the line = loosing to a slower Honda Civic

The point of what I described is to get the engine RPM into the higher levels so that you can get more power to the wheels without "burning out"

Any idiot can light up their tires.....it takes a true racer to put all the power to the ground without slipping......it's a sweet feeling.....like being hurled out of a slingshot.

My buddy took me in his 9 second "track only" Trans-Am one time and put a $20 bill on the dash. (stuck it there with scotch tape)

The deal was if I could reach it during the 1/4mile it was mine.

Needless to say I've never been subjected to that kind of acceleration before....I could hardly lift my arms.... I don't think I got within a foot of the $20 bill and I was trying really hard. :D

Since then I've been looking to find something that could bring me back into that feeling of pure adrenaline.
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

cant u really eat up ur brakes?
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

cant u really eat up ur brakes?
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

NO
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

rnt u griding ur brakes?
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

No because you wouldn't be moving
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

the car does move a little trying to go above 2000rpms, r u sure u dont move? u do move and really really eat up ur brakes dont u?
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Daew0Leganza wrote:the car does move a little trying to go above 2000rpms, r u sure u dont move? u do move and really really eat up ur brakes dont u?
Why do you keep thinking the brakes are being warn down when the car IS NOT MOVING?

If the car does not move, the brakes are not wearing AT ALL.

No movement = no friction = no wear.

The brakes do not wear away just because you step on the pedal when the wheels are not turning.

Again, NO MOVEMENT = NO WEAR.

Example: Put your car in park. Step on the brakes. Did they wear down? NO. Why? The wheels were not turning and the brake pads were not being rubbed on the disks.

This is the same logic that follows the idea that when you have your foot on the brakes, the wheels are not turning and the brake pads CAN NOT wear down. EVEN if the engine is revving at 2000 or even 5000 rpms.

The ONLY thing that will get warn down is the clutch disk because you are making it slip. NOT the brakes.

Cliff