Replacing brake pipes

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Daniel
Expert

Replacing brake pipes

Post by Daniel »

Hi,

[LHD Daewoo Nubira wagon MY2000 probably build in may1999. 1.6DOHC A16DMS 78kW 106hp]

MOT discovered corrosion on some iron brake pipes.
How difficult and long is it to replace all pipes? I would use a copper/nickel brake pipes kit as I don't want/have tool to cut & flare raw pipes.
Is it doable without a pit nor elevator, just with jacks and stands?

Last question: I found kit of 8 pipes ( https://www.rexbo.eu/jakoparts/brake-li ... 0?c=100036 ) and another of 10 pipes ( https://www.rexbo.eu/jakoparts/brake-li ... 2?c=100036 ). But as far as I actually can tell there are 9 pipes on my Nubira :oops: . Which one should I choose?

Thanks,
Rodd1s
Expert

Re: Replacing brake pipes

Post by Rodd1s »

Try cleaning the brake pipes first - I had this before on my first Lanos, what appeared to be corrosion simply cleaned off with some good cleaning fluids and a soft steel brush or something similar.

Only if the pipes are genuinely corroded or wearing thin should you replace them really.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Thanks, will give a try. Did you coated pipes with some protection after cleaning? What about rust neutralisers like this one http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/s_trmt ... -Spray.htm ? Do they work really?

Don't know if you call this "genuinely corroded" :?
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

Those rust "neutralizers" can work in the short term to make it appear better, but to be honest that doesn't look much different from the brake lines on any other 10+ year old car you'll see.

Might worth giving it a good clean and spraying it with something like WD-40 every now and then to keep the moisture away as it displaces/repels water.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Ok then. This relieves some pressure on my mind. Maybe our MOT stations receives weekly special instructions to watch for specific components. To do "the quota".
I remember last year I had a written remark about "ID plate holes non conform". :chain:

But I will brush/clean/WD40 those pipes as weather permits.

Thanks again,
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

Daniel wrote:...
I remember last year I had a written remark about "ID plate holes non conform". :chain:

Ha! They'd have had a field day with mine then - no holes, just stuck on there. There should be no restriction on where the holes are as long as the screw caps match the background.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Rodd1s wrote:
Ha! They'd have had a field day with mine then - no holes, just stuck on there. There should be no restriction on where the holes are as long as the screw caps match the background.
Well here in Belgium the number plates are driver specific. And after 30 years or so with the same plate there was indeed some extra holes :lol: . Fixed with some putty and paint.