how to tell if GM or MF trans or Z vin? (Nubira)

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MrbLOB9000

how to tell if GM or MF trans or Z vin? (Nubira)

Post by MrbLOB9000 »

How can I find out which trans I have other than auto?

and what does z vin mean? My Vin has a z in the middle, is that all this means?

I have a 02 Nubira 2.0L that I need to get radiator hoses and spark plug wires for. Looking over at rockauto.com they list different hoses and spark plug wires depending on type of trans (radiator hoses) and if you have a Z vin or not (spark plug wires). Auto7's radiator hoses list GM trans, MF trans and standard trans, others seem to just list auto and manual/standard trans but I've had problems trying to find parts for my car before. I know I've got an ULEV and years ago had to go with the Suzuki Forenza's o2 sensors (that was a bitch to figure out), so don't wanna get bitten again buying a bunch of the wrong stuff to see if it will fit.

over on daewoous.com I see that there are three lower radiator hoses:
96271485 which has a "P/CD" that is "ED"
96271486 which has a "P/CD" that is "EE"
96340780 which has a "P/CD" that is "EG" but also says "From vin" 726813, which mine ends in 769926, so I assume I need this one but I don't know what a p/cd is so I'm not sure. But even if that is the part I need, that doesn't really help because the vast majority of the radiator hoses don't list the OE part number.

for Upper radiator hose it only lists one that makes sense: 96271481 which is designated for CDX (which I have) and option for AC ( which I have)

for spark plug wires, from what I can tell from daewoous.com there is only one OEM set of spark plug wires which is 96460220 , don't know why some are marked as for "z vin" by the manufacturer on rockauto.
Daniel
Expert

Re: how to tell if GM or MF trans or Z vin? (Nubira)

Post by Daniel »

You'll find some explanations if you click on top of daewoos.com page "Legend Option Codes Abbreviations".

"Z" stands for "2.0 DOHC, MPFI, Family II" engine. Maybe length of HT wires depends of engine family?

Decoding VIN
VIN.JPG
Maybe something you could find handy.
http://demo.ovh.com/fr/6b040a984b48c4fd ... d80553e6b/ . Available for 30 days from now.

Remember most of Daewoo references are printed/engraved/embossed on original parts. Even rubber one ;) .
MrbLOB9000

Post by MrbLOB9000 »

Ok, so Z vin just means 2.0L which is what I have, good. Still need to tackle the radiator hose though.

I had looked at Option Codes link and Abbreviations link and they didn't have the P/CD stuff in it, didn't click on legend, which says this about it:

Code: Select all

P/CD 

This column indicates related part identification code, which refers to the two-digit identification label used on the vehicle production line. If the original part contains this sticker, it may be helpful in specifying the correct part (this is especially helpful when specifying wiring harnesses.)
Note: Not all parts will have a part identification code. 
Is that really the only way to tell? Try and find a mark on it somehwere that has those two letters?

Also, still don't know what the MF trans and GM trans stuff is all about, how do I tell and is there really two different transmissions that might be in the car?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Is that really the only way to tell? Try and find a mark on it somehwere that has those two letters?
If (still) present you can't miss such label. Remember that many parts wear in clear their own references.
still don't know what the MF trans and GM trans stuff is all about
It's "G" or "M" or "A" or "F". Click "Legend".

4. T/A (Transaxle)
M = Manual T/A

A = Automatic T/A (All)
G = Automatic T/A (GMPT)
F = Automatic T/A (ZF16)
. = Common
how do I tell and is there really two different transmissions that might be in the car
What kind trany you have should be mentioned in your "Certificate of conformity".
Or you can download my link and look at section "VII. TRANSAXLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER" which help you finding the T/A identification plate.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Double post