What clutch w/ flat flywheel? 1.6 Lanos

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

woohoo2

What clutch w/ flat flywheel? 1.6 Lanos

Post by woohoo2 »

I think my slave is going out so I figured I would replace the clutch as well assuming it's an internal slave, It is right?

I have a flat style flywheel from a lemans but don't know which clutch kit to go with. I think my lanos uses the 8.5" but I know some North American Lanos' used the 7 7/8" and the lemans uses a 7 7/8". Any recommendations on brands for both clutch kit and slave? I was thinking Sachs for both but the Lemans sachs kit is more than I want to spend considering I won't even keep this clutch for 30k.
Daniel
Expert

Re: What clutch w/ flat flywheel? 1.6 Lanos

Post by Daniel »

Internal slave on 1.6 Lanos? Are you sure?
Latest Lanos model (2002) on rockauto shows external slave.
woohoo2

Post by woohoo2 »

Daniel wrote:Internal slave on 1.6 Lanos? Are you sure?
Latest Lanos model (2002) on rockauto shows external slave.
Oh it's not?!

I assumed it was because I'm fairly sure my Reno was. I remember when the slave went out on my Reno the dealer replaced the clutch free of labor charges. I figured if it was external it would have been a lot more labor to do the clutch and the D16 is very similar to the D20. So I'm just making assumptions here. Please confirm if indeed my Lanos uses an external slave because that would mean I can fix it today.

Would still like to know about what clutch I need with the lemans flywheel?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Very easy to see the clutch slave cylinder. Look if the moving lever (a twisted flat bar) is...moving for ~15mm when the clutch pedal is depressed.
P1020580-3-25%.JPG
No idea what clutch you need :oops:
woohoo2

Post by woohoo2 »

Daniel wrote:Very easy to see the clutch slave cylinder. Look if the moving lever (a twisted flat bar) is...moving for ~15mm when the clutch pedal is depressed.
No idea what clutch you need :oops:
I left my car at my other house and can't get down there till tomorrow so if someone can confirm that it is external that would be great.

I tried checking my PDF service manual I got from here but that section seams to be missing unless it is just out of order. I think there are a few other sections missing as well. Anyone know of a downloadable service manual with all the sections? Or at least the manual tranny and clutch section (5B & 5C)?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

woohoo2

Post by woohoo2 »

Thank you so much! I didn't think anyone would have it.

If the "clutch release cylinder" is the same thing as the slave cylinder then according to the manual it looks external and a fairly easy job.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

woohoo2 wrote:
Thank you so much! I didn't think anyone would have it.

If the "clutch release cylinder" is the same thing as the slave cylinder then according to the manual it looks external and a fairly easy job.
Yes, same thing.
Note: When you'll start to purge the new slave cylinder you'll probably need to manually lift the clutch pedal as it won't itself lift back at beginning.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Are you still interested in finding a clutch. I have a lot of options availble and I can mix and match any number of items for a custom kit.
woohoo2

Post by woohoo2 »

gse_turbo wrote:Are you still interested in finding a clutch. I have a lot of options availble and I can mix and match any number of items for a custom kit.
Probably not. Since the slave is external I don't plan on replacing the clutch now. However based on the symptoms there is a chance it is not the slave but a bent finger.

I have the engine and tranny from my wrecked Reno I plan on putting in when I have the knowledge on how to keep both power steering and a/c and time to do so. I only planned on using the flat flywheel because I have it and the clutch kits for both flywheels are about the same cost. If I do need to replace the clutch then I wouldn't mind a performance one but don't want to spend anything extra to have it for a few thousand miles. I found a clutch kit for under $100 shipped.

Can someone tell me which clutch the flat lemans flywheel needs in case I do need to replace it? I think I need the clutch from a 89' Lemans 1.6 with the F16. It uses a 7 7/8" clutch. The 2.0 lemans and lanos use 8.5" clutch. Also does the D20 with flat flywheel use the same clutch as the D16?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Where are you located? None of the 2.0 or 2.2 16v engines in the US came with a "flat" flywheel.

In either. Awe you want to stick with the 2.0 from the lemans and not the 1.6. Be leery about a cheap clutch kit especially if it's claiming to be anything in regards of high performannce.
woohoo2

Post by woohoo2 »

gse_turbo wrote:Where are you located? None of the 2.0 or 2.2 16v engines in the US came with a "flat" flywheel.

In either. Awe you want to stick with the 2.0 from the lemans and not the 1.6. Be leery about a cheap clutch kit especially if it's claiming to be anything in regards of high performannce.
I'm in the US. All I remember is I have a flat flywheel from a lemans that I bought for when I had my reno to increase performance.

What do you mean I want to stick with the 2.0 not 1.6 from lemans?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Can someone tell me which clutch the flat lemans flywheel needs in case I do need to replace it? I think I need the clutch from a 89' Lemans 1.6 with the F16. It uses a 7 7/8" clutch. The 2.0 lemans and lanos use 8.5" clutch. Also does the D20 with flat flywheel use the same clutch as the D16?
I don't know for sure that the 1.6 came with the F16, I think it was an F15 (4-speed). The bolt pattern for the flywheel to crank (as well as the pressure plate to flywheel on the lemans) is different between the 1.6 and 2.0.

If you are looking for clutch and flywheel options for a 2.0 make sure all the parts are for a 2.0.

Right now I'm working on developing a new pressure plate for the 2.0 lemans flywheel. I should be posting the info when it's done in the next week or so.