Which has a better rear drum setup?

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Davinci_360

Which has a better rear drum setup?

Post by Davinci_360 »

I've been thinking for awhile about swapping the rear beam from a Lemans to my Lanos. It might seem crazy because they should be about the same - I remember that the rear drums on a Lemans slid on over the hub, though - making a rear brake job tons easier (no bearings to replace/repack). From a standpoint of routine maintenance it seems like it would be a good swap.

What do you guys think? What would the pros/cons be for swapping a Lemans rear beam into a Lanos?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Re: Which has a better rear drum setup?

Post by gse_turbo »

if you have a Lanos, stay with the Lanos rear beam. I think you have the two backwards. the Lanos uses the seperate hub and drum design.

if you were going to go through the trouble of the swap you are better off just converting to rear disc.
Davinci_360

Post by Davinci_360 »

I haven't had to remove my rear drums on my Lanos yet, so I'm not sure about the rear drum setup, but I know from experience that the Lemans drums pull right off over the rear hub.

So, you can confirm that the rear beams are interchangeable, right?

Rear disc brakes would definitely be MUCH better! I seem to remember that you had a conversion kit available for that ... is that still the case? I could use them on my C20GET Lemans project
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I did have a disc conversion kit that used a Saturn setup and a custom caliper bracket but I am looking at other options.

I have been working on more of a direct bolt on kit lately. I have front suspension and complete braking system from a 98 Saab 900 and I can say for sure that the rear hub assembly is a direct bolt on. Saab used a typical Opel 5x112 bolt pattern which is something to consider. I plan on doing the five-lug conversion but I would also like to find a 4x100 option as well.

things to work though are the brake master (Saab has ABS, most Lanos/ Lemans don't) and the park brake cable. a rear disc converion that retains the 4x110 bolt pattern and a factory park brake cable is easy in Europe but I'm trying to use parts that are easily available here in the states.

the master cylinder, park cable, and what to buy for shocks, rotors and pads (budget) is what is holding me up for my install.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

*5x110 is typical opel 5 stud from what I remember
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

aahhh, yes. good correction. I was thinking the first mistake I made. I bought VW wheels to use (5x112) and they weren't right. thanks for the bump in the head. :D
Davinci_360

Post by Davinci_360 »

I originally posted this due to the fact that I see a lot of Pontiac Lemans in scrapyards, and I thought I could pick up a rear beam to play around with ... maybe I could do my own tinkering with a rear disc setup myself

I seem to remember seeing the Saturn rear disc setup on the forum before - didn't it require a little bit of drilling with the bracket to make it fit just right?

A complete bolt-on rear disc setup would be excellent - I'm sure you'll keep us posted on any further developments with that!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

well... it is a bit complicated

the older lanoses (97 to mid00) came with the easy setup where the drum slides of the hub

the newer models (01 till now) came with the hard setup where the drum and the hub are one part

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

and the newer ones came with non-integrated front hubs from MY01

I have a build year 2001 but it's MY00... i.e. integrated front hubs and non-integrated rear drums... so even more confusing
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~