'01 Nubira Automatic Transmission Problem?

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MCriswell90

'01 Nubira Automatic Transmission Problem?

Post by MCriswell90 »

Hey there guys. I just bought my first car, an '01 Nubira wagon. So far I've found that finding a repair manual is very difficult if not impossible, so I'm here for the next best thing, and I would really appreciate any help I could get.

While I really like this car, the problem I'm having is that when I'm driving, I can't accelerate past 2.5 rpm. When I do, the rpm will jump and the car will rev up, but will cease to actually accelerate. Since I can't seem to find a manual, I don't know if there's a sensor on the transmission/transaxle that could be faulty, or if it's a hose somewhere. I was wondering if perhaps someone here knew?

I should add that the car had been sitting since '08 when I bought it just a week and a few days ago. The transmission fluid needed changed and the rear brakes replaced, but other than that everything seemed fine.
MCriswell90

Re: '01 Nubira Automatic Transmission Problem?

Post by MCriswell90 »

Okay, I may have figured out the problem, or rather, my grandfather did. Apparently this car requires you drive in 3rd gear, not just Drive Range D. I suppose you could call it a rookie mistake.

On another note, my grandfather seems to think that because of the rpm problem in what I assume is overdrive for this car, that the overdrive is messed up. What do you think?
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

did you just replace the fluid or did you flush it?
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
MCriswell90

Post by MCriswell90 »

I'm not sure. When I called a transmission tech and told him what was going on, he said that it sounded like the transmission might be going out. Is there another one that is compatible with the Nubira Wagon in case it is going out? I doubt I'll find another one sitting around somewhere in a junk yard.