Recommended clutch setup for C20GET into Lemans GSE swap?

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Davinci_360

Recommended clutch setup for C20GET into Lemans GSE swap?

Post by Davinci_360 »

Earlier this year I acquired a beautiful bright red '89 Lemans GSE for $300. Almost perfect body, interior in fair shape, and has a blown engine (bad oil pump, I believe). I've had a C20GET in a Sunbird Convertible for awhile, and I was preparing to swap it into a 1.6 Lemans, until I came across the GSE. So, FINALLY, after saving up some money, and moving (into a house with two garage bays available to work in!) I'm about ready to begin working on the project.

Before I go spend a few hundred bucks, I'd like some recommendations from some of the more experienced members on here regarding pressure plate/clutch/flywheel combos for somewhere between stock HP (165-ish) and 200 HP. I want to start out stock and run it for awhile, and then eventually add a intercooler setup similiar to an Isuzu Impulse RS (on top of the engine - less plumbing) with a functional hood scoop.

What would you guys recommend?
benzino
Expert

Re: Recommended clutch setup for C20GET into Lemans GSE swap

Post by benzino »

Garrett (GSE_Turbo) can supply clutch kits that are meant to be a very nice bit of kit.
PM him and he will be able to give you more info
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Re: Recommended clutch setup for C20GET into Lemans GSE swap

Post by gse_turbo »

Hello,

I imagine you are going to keep the transmission in the Lemans. the F16 is a really good gearbox.

if you do that they you can use the Lemans flywheel on the C20GET and get an OE replacement clutch kit for the Lemans GSE.

if you want an upgrade, which I suggest, then disc part is easy. I make a lot of options in a 9.0" diameter with 24 spline. this is like the Nubira, Forenza and Reno.

there are a couple options for the pressure plate and flywheel. using the Lemans flywheel is a very good option. it's a common setup in Europe, they call it a "flat flywheel" but it has a 2mm step. It's been a while since I've done an upgraded pressure plate for that setup since it's not really used in the States much. (the Nubira flywheel is the most common type, 19mm step).
I'll have pull up some information but I can definitely do an upgraded pressure plate or the factory Lemans GSE.

if the Sunbird GT had a manual gearbox then that is another option. that's a truly flat flywheel. in that case, you could use the sunbird flywheel and pressure plate and the lemans disc. I think there will be an issue to resolve with finding the correct release bearing but i should be able to take care of that for you.

another option is to use the Nubira flywheel or a lightened version of it. thats really only necessary if you don't have a manual gearbox to start with and are converting from and automatic.

in any case, i can offer an OE type kit for any setup or an upgraded kit. it really comes down to what you want to spend. i suggest a 4-paddle kevlar disc and an upgraded pressure plate. it's an easy kit to drive on the street, it will hold a lot more power and torque and it will last longer than an OE type kit.
I've been driving with this kit for over a year and a half and I think it's great.

PM me with a price range you want to spend and we can go over some options to get the most for your budget.

Garrett