bent clutch release shaft ?

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

NubiraDellwoo

bent clutch release shaft ?

Post by NubiraDellwoo »

Been awhile since I've been logged in...
too busy trying to keep my junk rolling... :sigh:

to the point...

2001 Daewoo Nubira SE 2.0

So... my clutch slave cylinder blew it's seal the other day and so I replaced that...
all seemed fine until this day... and then I lost the clutch again.

it would seem the slave is extending but the release shaft/arm is not engaging and compressing the slave back in...
I can start the engine using the starter and it's obvious that the clutch disc is fully engaged to the flywheel as I can drive the pos... that's how I got 'er back home ;)

The clutch pedal returns... but I think it's just the pedal's spring doing that...

I talked with my regular Daewoo parts supplier (Gary of Coates Daewoo) over the phone... and he suggested that the problem might be not with the clutch... but instead with the clutch release shaft/arm... he claimed that (tho not recently) he remembered having to replace at least one awhile back...

Anyone have an experience related ?

Was wonder if ya'll thought it was most likely the pressure plate gone... or somehow related to the clutch fork or release shaft and /or fork ?

The clutch has 89K on the ODO currently... I usually make a clutch last most times 150K +

Thanks... if you can help on this issue.
'01 Nubira SE 2.0
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: bent clutch release shaft ?

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The clutch forks are attached to a main shaft which is attached to the lever that is attached to the slave cylinder.

Clutch fork could have cracked and is now slipping on the main shaft or your pressure plate is in bad shape.... or your clutch release bearing is damaged.

The slave rotates the main shaft... then the forks push the bearing into the pressure plate in order to disengage the clutch..... so if any one of those go wrong then your clutch won't disengage.

Oh.... also another thought since this happened to a friend just recently.... it's possible that your pressure plate bolts have come loose.... which will result in the clutch not disengaging.

Any way you cut it.... you will have to drop the gearbox to find out what is wrong with it.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
xiaogary
Junior

Post by xiaogary »

Yes. Open it and take some pictures to show us. Buy a spare clutch kit. Anyway it does not cost much. If really is clutch plate causing problem, change it. If its the fork, I think quite difficult. Just pray that its not the synchroniser or bearings inside that gone hay wire and jammed. Those are hard to find/buy.
Aveo 1.7M DOHC
NubiraDellwoo

Post by NubiraDellwoo »

aw'rite... so Idecided not to dig into this clutch issue myself...

took it in to have a clutch replacement...

New clutch pak installed and they machined the flywheel...

they get it all back together... and well... it still don't disengage...

well... sorta... found that by spacing the slave cylinder out... that the clutch would disengage... partially..

So it all leads back to that damn release shaft... I was told by an ex Daewoo service tech that the arm (at the slave cyl.) on the shaft can bend (turn?) on the shaft... causing misalignment with the slave cylinder... I googled the crap outta this and could find no history recording that as ever being an issue.

The guy working currently on the car... just don't seem to think that's possible... but cannot explain why the fork is not turning enough to disengage the clutch.

I did find a cracked clutch fork in one thread... But he said he inspected that and didn't see anything wrong...

aside from the possibilty the problem lies in a defective shaft... what else could be of issue ?

sad... but the value of the junk car is not worth the value I'm paying for this damn clutch work...

should have done it myself... sigh.
'01 Nubira SE 2.0
NubiraDellwoo

Post by NubiraDellwoo »

Thought I'd share the outcome... so others might know...

well... it was a bent release shaft... I think the shaft got twisted from where the bolt notch is in the shaft on up to the top of the lever arm...
How ? don't have a clue... fatigue ? I guess.

Sadly it would seem I screwed up the 2nd gear syncro, when the clutch failed, while I was trying to drive it home a few blocks. :?

Anyone got a spare manual Nubira tranny ? :(

Maybe it's just time to sell 'er to the scrap yard ? :chain:
'01 Nubira SE 2.0
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

*tear drop* good luck on finding one
~wolf

i wish they could bury cars. hahaha. like people.
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

hey wolfy he is in so cal too, buy it from him and have 2 woo's

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

**off subject** lol. i didnt know. but then i have to buy a new tranny... so either way.. i might as well wait until he buys it, then buy it off him, but i think im just gonna keep mine for now. no money and im needing to be independent soon, so money will be getting tight. :/ unless someone wants to trade me auto for their M/T hahaha. after i paint it i guess..
**on subject**
so cant you just buy the 2nd servo? or does it need to be a whole new tranny?
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
paulsaveo

Post by paulsaveo »

I am new to this forum, but currently active on aveoforum.com. I currently have the same issue. Does anyone know where I can get the clutch release lever, ive been searching for almost 4 weeks now. GM cant even get the lever for me. At this point it looks like I am going to have to get a complete trans from a junk yard just to get the lever. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Is the p/n: 96144874 that you need? It seems that it is fitted on several other Daewoo types: http://www.autodilykrc.cz/eshop/detail/96144874 . Look at scrapyards.
(No, I don't know how to order on autodily)
paulsaveo

Post by paulsaveo »

thank you daniel, that is the part I need, where I am a located, wrecking yards wont pull a trans just for the lever, but they will if I buy the whole trans. Ive been searching for 3 weeks now, I found a company in china that has it but they will only sell in bulk.
paulsaveo

Post by paulsaveo »

I have a brand new clutch release lever in my hand. Daniel, I appreciate your effort in trying to help.
Lanos01

Post by Lanos01 »

I found this thread wile searching my problem and think I may have a bent clutch fork:

I have a 2001 Lanos with 228k mi, original clutch. A few days ago, the clutch started not going all the way to the floor, and not fully disengaging. Since the clutch start switch was not closing, I by-passed it so I could crank the engine in gear to get rolling. The clutch slips a little when held down as far as it will go. I replaced master and slave cylinders and bled the system and it was still the same. The pedal goes to about 2" from the floor and hits a hard stop. Opening the bleed valve on the slave cyl allows the pedal go to the floor. The suggestion was made that the throwout bearing is probably causing the problem, so I had the clutch replaced today. Still doing the same thing. The clutch disk that came out looked almost new with almost as much lining as the new disk. I'm taking the car to a transmission shop in the morning and will post results of that visit.
Lanos01

Post by Lanos01 »

Well, the guys at the trans shop told me about the same thing the mechanic suggested. The rubber hose that goes to the slave cylinder has collapsed on the inside and is not allowing fluid to pass through and move the throwout bearing. I ordered a new hose - should be here Thur.
Lanos01

Post by Lanos01 »

OK - got the new hose. Since the hose is under the battery, I removed the battery and battery box for clear access. There were several small black flecks in the fluid that came out of the old hose. After replacing the hose and bleeding the system, the clutch pedal would still go to only about 2" from the floor.

To be certain all air had been bled, I removed the slave cylinder from the engine, leaving the hose connected, and pushed the piston in with the bleed valve open. With the slave cylinder still off, I looked at the clutch release shaft and noticed a mark on the bell housing where the other end of the arm has been hitting. The shaft has about 1/2" to 3/4" of wobble. A call to my parts supplier confirmed that this shaft should have no play and I should not be able to move it by hand.

The clutch release shaft is supported by two nylon bushings ($3.00 each) which have worn out. I should have these (and a new shaft - $26.00) by the end of this week.