MMamdouh's rear brake upgrade FINALLY DONE!

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

MMamdouh's rear brake upgrade FINALLY DONE!

Post by MMamdouh »

finally after too much questions and research the project is complete

parts were acquired last week and the donor car is a '94 Opel vectra (the 2000cc version)... i got the brake setup and hand brake cables and metal brake lines just in case

my first concern was the bolt pattern compatability between my rear suspension member and the vectra components... i took an old lanos rear axle from my mechanic to do the comparison and the bolt patterns were concurrent... only difference was that the lanos axle got 4 studs but the vectra setup got threads... it is not a problem since since i got the studs with the vectra setup

the brake setup was fitted to the axel and we removed the rotors for inspection and cleanup as it was rusty.

the axle measurements are the same as the lanos axle and same goes for the bearings

the OEM metal brake line was long enough to be attached to the new caliper so their was no need for the lines i bought

the hand brake cable was the tricky part... the one from the opel was not a direct fit to the lanos as far as the link between the dual cables and the cable attached to the hand brake handle... lengths were almost the same so we were facing one of two options:

1- modify the opel vectra to fit the e brake handle
2- modify the lanos cables to fit the rear disks

i went with the second option as i wanted to keep my OEM setup intact... i also got a bracket from the vectra car that holds both the brake line and the e brake cable but it would have required welding this bracket to the rear suspension member and i was not willing to do so

instead i modified the bracket by cutting it in half and discarding the part holding the brake line and use the e brake part to hold the wire and attached it to the stud that was holding the OEM cable

i have also got a set of new pads as the ones that came with the parts were in bad shape and worn out

the e brake pads were calibrated and the calipers were bled and the setup was completely assembled and ready for testing

the test drive showed better response from the brake pedal... no change in brake power though... surly their is a bedding period for the new pads and system has to be bled after some kms so i am expected better brake performance when i put more kms on the car and bleed the calipers

the impressive part was the e brakes... i can now easily lock the rear wheels even if i have passengers in the rear seat... how could small pads put so much braking power?... i don't know and i don't care as long as it is working perfectly :D :D :D

it is worth mentioning that i didn't change my proportional valves yet... i did a quick parts comparison between different p valves from the 1.5 and 1.6 brake setup and found some confusing things so i will open a separate thread for that issue to find out what exactly i need to do

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
yasser

Re: MMamdouh's rear brake upgrade FINALLY DONE!

Post by yasser »

congratulations man MABROK
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Congrats on the brake job!! I remember how happy I was when I first fitted the rear disc brakes in the GSI.
the test drive showed better response from the brake pedal... no change in brake power though... surly their is a bedding period for the new pads and system has to be bled after some kms so i am expected better brake performance when i put more kms on the car and bleed the calipers
Drive it for a bit and check the "shine factor" of the rear discs. If they appear only shiny, as opposed near-mirror (like front rotors), you are not getting full rear pistons travel. Keep in mind you do not have a standard sliding piston rear setup, but 2-pot rear calipers....so factory master cylinder now has to operate 4 pistons at the back :-)

Post by MMamdouh »

thanks for the reply man

i will give the disks a look during the bleeding process and see what they look like

on the other hand i have made a post regarding the P valves and I'd like to hear your opinion regarding what i understand and what i found out and what you recommend based on them findings

i know I've been asking you too much questions regarding that so please bare with me :oops:

thanks for your advice and support man

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

yasser wrote:congratulations man MABROK
thanks yasser for the reply... it is not only you that got himself a rear brake conversion :D

mine was harder though since i borrowed parts from outside the lanos and even the daewoo family... yet it is still in the GM family

MMamdouh
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

MMamdouh wrote:i know I've been asking you too much questions regarding that so please bare with me :oops:
i personally think that its a good thing that your asking the questions, brakes are mothing to do half assed, they are avital part of the car. i think you have every right to ask questions about brake modification. also your questions will help others in doing a rear disk upgrade... i want rear disks :cry:

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

and one more reason for so much questions is to make a full documentation of the swap project... i think this is daewootech's first "fully documented" rear disk swap on a lanos and surly this post will be a very useful guide for similar projects

MMamdouh
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

daewoomofo wrote:
MMamdouh wrote:i know I've been asking you too much questions regarding that so please bare with me :oops:
i personally think that its a good thing that your asking the questions, brakes are mothing to do half assed, they are avital part of the car. i think you have every right to ask questions about brake modification. also your questions will help others in doing a rear disk upgrade... i want rear disks :cry:

win the uk the mk 2/3 astra rear disk will just bolt on to our rear axle, but not sure about the lines
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

so.... about rear disk\disc brakes for the US.... whats the donor car? im wanting to go rear brakes, but i also know that the master cylinder has to be modified or replaced, but rear disc 96% operational is better than drum brakes 99% operational. (atleast in look, imo.) lol!

ideas/for sure for the donor car?
thanks in advance
~wolf

p.s. '00 lanos HB
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i have just realized that with the current brakes upgrade to both the front and rear; my 13" spare tire won't fit the front or the rear so practically i have no spare tire since the rear upgrade was done... got myself a used 14" rim and put one of my old 185/60/14 tires on it to solve the problem.

More pics:

MMamdouh
nexia182
Expert

Post by nexia182 »

i want to do that using rotors and calipers from CHEVROLET ZAFIRA!!!!!!!!
DAEWOO NEXIA Turbo
1/4 Mille---> 12.9@2.600m OVER SEA LEVEL
OPEL POWER
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

are you sure the zafira shares the same rear suspension design with your car?

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

GsiTurbo wrote:Congrats on the brake job!! I remember how happy I was when I first fitted the rear disc brakes in the GSI.
Drive it for a bit and check the "shine factor" of the rear discs. If they appear only shiny, as opposed near-mirror (like front rotors), you are not getting full rear pistons travel. Keep in mind you do not have a standard sliding piston rear setup, but 2-pot rear calipers....so factory master cylinder now has to operate 4 pistons at the back :-)
is this shiny enough??

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

calipers now in sexy red

MMamdouh
nefary
Junior

Post by nefary »

good job mmamdouh
I wanted to do so but you say this can't fit my aveo
I found that there are diffrences between both cars part NOs . but I think they have the same brake assembly
I searched the parts catalouge of both cars
and I found this
please need your opinion before buying any parts that will not fit
Attachments
lanos.jpg
the lanos rear axel
(131.37 KiB) Downloaded 1303 times
aveo 2.jpg
the brake assembly
(106.46 KiB) Downloaded 1304 times
aveo 1.jpg
the aveo rear axel