CRAZY Sound from my car...

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

drjdup

CRAZY Sound from my car...

Post by drjdup »

I'm driving the other day and I'm coming to a stop light smoothly... then I hear this crazy sound, as if I'm dragging something metal under my car... I stop and look under my car I don't see sh*t... So I drive off turning down the street to the right then I start hearing it again as I'm driving... I pull over look under the car... sounds like it's coming from the wheels but I can't tell which one... I'm thinking it's the rear now though... I was able to drive to a friends house close by but as I'm pulling up the sound completely goes away!!! I didn't see anything behind me fall off or anything...

Well I drive it home later that night and no problem... I was nervous however... I did hear little whistle or squeal come from the wheels ever now and again... everything seemed find until yesterday...

I'm leaving work and I hear this horrible grinding or grumble sound coming from the rear right before I can on the highway... as I pick up speed it doesn't get any better and it almost feels like my rear right wheel is wobbling... like it's warped or something...

So I got off immediately and parked it... Now when I put it in drive and just let it roll there's a horrible squeal coming from the rear wheels... I'm gonna go take the wheels off and have a good look this morning... any ideas!?

Jarmar..............
daewooluvr
Expert

Re: CRAZY Sound from my car...

Post by daewooluvr »

drjdup wrote:I'm driving the other day and I'm coming to a stop light smoothly... then I hear this crazy sound, as if I'm dragging something metal under my car... I stop and look under my car I don't see sh*t... So I drive off turning down the street to the right then I start hearing it again as I'm driving... I pull over look under the car... sounds like it's coming from the wheels but I can't tell which one... I'm thinking it's the rear now though... I was able to drive to a friends house close by but as I'm pulling up the sound completely goes away!!! I didn't see anything behind me fall off or anything...

Well I drive it home later that night and no problem... I was nervous however... I did hear little whistle or squeal come from the wheels ever now and again... everything seemed find until yesterday...

I'm leaving work and I hear this horrible grinding or grumble sound coming from the rear right before I can on the highway... as I pick up speed it doesn't get any better and it almost feels like my rear right wheel is wobbling... like it's warped or something...

So I got off immediately and parked it... Now when I put it in drive and just let it roll there's a horrible squeal coming from the rear wheels... I'm gonna go take the wheels off and have a good look this morning... any ideas!?

Jarmar..............
could be wheel bearings
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

If drum brakes perhaps loose lining inside.
Like that :shock:

drjdup

Post by drjdup »

well... I took the car to a recommended mechanic and when I got there he tells me he can't help me... "It's a Daewoo"...

So I leave and head back to my friend's and the rear right wheel comes shooting off on down the road... Now what!?

I'll try to post pics for you guys... hopefully ya'll can help...

Jarmar....................
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

So it was a wheel bearing.

And tell your mechanic he's an ass bandit. If he had any sense he'd know it's practically the same as ANY other GM car and is so easy o work on. Stubborn cunt.
SAZ
---------------------
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

Pir0 wrote:And tell your mechanic he's an ass bandit. If he had any sense he'd know it's practically the same as ANY other GM car and is so easy o work on. Stubborn cunt.
i agree your mechanic is a complete asre hole, every mechanic i have seen know it a GM car, your mechanic need to go back to college
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

drjdup

Post by drjdup »

Well I guess I'll do it myself... anybody know what parts I would need and where to get them from... I haven't done much work on this car but I'm not a complete stranger to auto mechanics...

Jarmar...................

p.s.
and how would I know if I have ABS...

2000 Lanos 1.6L Stock
xiaogary
Junior

Post by xiaogary »

Your brake hub In your 2nd picture (the rear circular 10-12 inch metal plate which the dum shoe rest on)

will have someting like this behind. Mine is a cut out version from 10-12 inch diameter to 4-5 inch. The whole drum or circular plate was cut off leaving only the internal cental piece to retain the ABS sensing teeths.

Time to change to disc brake. See my rear brake disc conversion in another thread.
Aveo 1.7M DOHC
drjdup

Post by drjdup »

Here's a few pics of the damage... I was riding down the street at about 35mph when it all happened... luckily I was able to pull into a vacant lot where a gas station use to be... feel free to point out anything you see that needs to be replaced...

Head on shot... can see some brake fluid leakage coming from somewhere...

Side shot...

Back of the wheel and tire... as you can see the drum is still attached the to lugs... quite greasy... is that normal?

Jarmar..................
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Pir0 wrote:So it was a wheel bearing.

And tell your mechanic he's an ass bandit. If he had any sense he'd know it's practically the same as ANY other GM car and is so easy o work on. Stubborn cunt.
+1000

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

drjdup wrote:
Back of the wheel and tire... as you can see the drum is still attached the to lugs... quite greasy... is that normal?

Jarmar..................
given what happened then yes this is normal... the outer bearing is totally stripped and the wheel got off the rear axle assembly... thank god you were not going too fast when that happened.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
drjdup

Post by drjdup »

Yeah I am completely grateful that it happen when, where, and how it happened... if it had to happen... Looks as though I'm going go at it myself today... it doesn't seem like a difficult job at all... I'm going to replace both sides while I'm at it... I've got the Inner & Outer Bearings, cotter pins and ofcourse tools... I'm thinking I need to pick up any seals necessary, grease (not sure what kind), and I saw someone mention "packing" the bearings unfortunately I'm not familiar with that terminology... Can anyone elaborate?

I'll also attempt to document the procedure with photos maybe for a how-to or something... here's a pic of the drum on the "good" side... Looks wet because I was trying to wipe it down in hopes to find the retention screw... apparently there isn't one...

looks like I'm going to have to pull the cotter pin and the castle nut to get the drum off...

Let me thanks all ya'll for what you're doing... I'm looking forward to contributing...

Jarmar..................
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I had the same exact thing happen to me.

The mechanic who did my last inspection failed to put the cotter pin back in and the axle nut backed off thus destroying the wheel bearings, axle spindle, and rear brakes.

The bearings aren't that bad to do.

Packing the bearings means that you take axle grease and push it inside the bearing all around until you cannot get anymore grease in them.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
drjdup

Post by drjdup »

yeah... it looks like the retaining washer behind the castle nut was left off from the previous owner... looks like I have some damage to the wheel cylinder...

And the bearings are a real simple job but unfortunately the old outer bearing is stuck on the axle rod... I've finally gotten it to turn a bit but can't seem to pull it off... frustrating...

Jarmar.................
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

drjdup wrote: >
>
...hopes to find the retention screw... apparently there isn't one...

>
>

Jarmar..................
You have a "one-piece" drum and no retention screw since it's hold by the castel nut.

My pics are for a "two-piece" drum where detent screw prevents drum for falling on assembly line.

I don't know if one type of spindle is stronger than the other but I don't understand that we can loose a wheel like it happened to you.
You were lucky.

Daniel