Thinking About Getting a LSD...

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

Thinking About Getting a LSD...

Post by BosnianLanos »

Do we know of any company that makes a limited slip differential for the Lanos Sport transmission? I've always been told that the Lanos sport has "shorter" gearing than the regular manual, but I don't know how or if this would affect LSD fitment. I'm sure there is an Opel equivalent that would work, but I'd appreciate if some of the more knowledgeable members would let me know.

I'm kicking this idea around, as torque steer from the nitrous is getting a little hairy, and will only get worse with my jet increases. I'm also thinking about getting into some track days where the LSD would be quite useful.

Prices of the actual product as well as installation estimates would be greatly appreciated!
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Assuming you have D16/F16 transmission there should be a Quaife LSD for it.

Check this out:

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Vauxhall-Astra- ... fferential
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

exist3nce wrote:Assuming you have D16/F16 transmission there should be a Quaife LSD for it.

Check this out:

+1. You can't get a better LSD than that...and is that price in Euros or am I crazy? Cause that price is very very good.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

kinkyllama wrote:
exist3nce wrote:Assuming you have D16/F16 transmission there should be a Quaife LSD for it.

Check this out:

+1. You can't get a better LSD than that...and is that price in Euros or am I crazy? Cause that price is very very good.
It's in UK sterling pounds.
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

kinkyllama wrote: +1. You can't get a better LSD than that...and is that price in Euros or am I crazy? Cause that price is very very good.
haha you wish it was Euros, 99% chance its in GBP.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

$1036 at the current exchange rate! And I can say I was expecting worse.

Anyone know what a pro shop would charge to install?
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

BosnianLanos wrote:$1036 at the current exchange rate! And I can say I was expecting worse.

Anyone know what a pro shop would charge to install?
Yeah, that's about 40% less than I could get it from any US dealers. It's even a little less than any of my UK dealers retail prices.

All I know is they'll charge more than swapping out the clutch. When I've had mine LSDs installed they didn't even charge me for replacing the clutch/flywheel.

How soon are you thinking of getting one if you do anyways?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

There are a few other things that I need to take care of before I do that. I need to finish up painting my car and eventually lowering...right now, body roll is nasty.

It's something that I could see myself doing in 6-12 months, I'm waiting to see if the Dollar gets any stronger against the Pound!
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

torque steer? you should drive mine...

ive done some quick shifts into 2nd gear and ive to turn the steering to the left to keep it straight with the wheel spin.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

BosnianLanos wrote:There are a few other things that I need to take care of before I do that. I need to finish up painting my car and eventually lowering...right now, body roll is nasty.

It's something that I could see myself doing in 6-12 months, I'm waiting to see if the Dollar gets any stronger against the Pound!
PM me before you do. I'd like to get one some day for a lanos, probably around the same time as you. We could probably find another person wanting one and hopefully get a discount.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
ant0ny

Post by ant0ny »

Efrain A. wrote:torque steer? you should drive mine...

ive done some quick shifts into 2nd gear and ive to turn the steering to the left to keep it straight with the wheel spin.
Getting the ATB is definetly the way to go... less agressive than a clutch type LSD. I have a ATB in my box.

Also for torque steer... if you havn't already done it, upgrade your drive shafts to "Equal Length" shafts from say a Calibra.