280mm - now 308mm Front disks

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

wolfhound
Junior

280mm - now 308mm Front disks

Post by wolfhound »

Thought this might interest you guys looking for bigger brakes

280mm Zaphira 5 stud disks modded to fit the 4 stud Woo hub instead of the 256mm disk.

Modding them wasn't that difficult and the disks themselves only cost me US$130 for both, i tried to get the 308 OPC disks but they were only available from the GM Dealer and they worked out at US$360 for the set.

I am using these Brembo calipers on the 280mm disks but i am sure it wouldn't take that complicated a bracket to mount the std caliper on the bigger disk.

AND aint these just mouth watering, picked these up for a song, couldn't resist. now just gotta make up brackets to make them fit the Woo.

Also picked up a set of Opel Kadett Super Boss rear disks, going to Johannesburg (600kms) next weekend to a wedding and picking them up same time

So that should really sort out the brakes.

Sean
Last edited by wolfhound on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
Pirelli 215/35 P Zero Nero tyres
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

You shoulda went 5 stud m8 :b

The 5 stud cavalier v6 5 stud hubs fit the Nexia, so im guessing they should fit the lanos too, seeing as they're all based around the same thing. Nice one anyway, they'll definatly stop ya.
SAZ
---------------------
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

what is the minimum rim size to use with such upgrade?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

15" or 16".

Probably 16" with the huge calipers.

A friend of mine had the 280mm disks but the smaller calipers and he ran the 15" Fanblade wheels i have. Was a nice tight fit. Looked well, and stopped well. His pads were shite though. Overheated quickly on the track.

Brake fadeeeee! :smt119
SAZ
---------------------
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Hi there.

I am running a Nubira with standard brakes - shitty to say the least and in desperate need for an upgrade. Thanks for the info on the Zafira discs - will check them out. I also looked at discs and found a 280mm Ford Mondeo (bakkie???) have the same offset on the hats as my Daewoo but they also have 5 holes.

Are the OPC discs 4 or 5 hole discs??? I might consider them if they are 4 holes. I looked at Mr Turbo and there I can get Opel 4 hole "hats" and then I can "marry" them to 308mm discs which should fit perfectly in my 19" rims....but the problem is the hats and discs will cost me R 3 800.00 for the pair, and then I still need decent calipers!!! What to do????!!!!
Nothing is impossible....it just costs more!!!!\

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

368KW/611Nm on wheels @ 2.4bar
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

The OPC brakes [OPC is the VXR of the rest of europe right?] are all 5 stud.

Do you need the 308mm disks? Or would 280mm do?

Things like the Vauxhall Cavaliers came with 280mm Disks, but they're 5 stud. And the Vauxhall Omega 3.0 mv6 came with pretty big 2 pot calipers.

That's one setup worth concidering.

The only other thing offhand I can think off is doing what Séan's done and get 5stud ones and get them machines to the PCD of the 4stud ones you need.
SAZ
---------------------
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Providing my math is right, 280mm works out to just over 11". That should fit nearly all 15" wheels. I sell 11.75" wilwood kits with a caliper about that size and you can fit some 15" wheels with it.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Thanks for the feedback. However - going from a standard 257mm to 280mm appear not to be very impressive gain in surface area when I look at it. Also running 19inch rims do allow for quite a bot more than 280mm. I am sure ANY increase in disc size will surely help with stopping power, but will 280mm be enough to stop brake shudder, discs warping and cracking as per my standard discs???

Maybe if I go 280mm, have then slotted AND drilled AND use softer racing pads I would get the desired results/improvement???

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Nubaroo wrote:Thanks for the feedback. However - going from a standard 257mm to 280mm appear not to be very impressive gain in surface area when I look at it. Also running 19inch rims do allow for quite a bot more than 280mm. I am sure ANY increase in disc size will surely help with stopping power, but will 280mm be enough to stop brake shudder, discs warping and cracking as per my standard discs???

Maybe if I go 280mm, have then slotted AND drilled AND use softer racing pads I would get the desired results/improvement???
I'd like to think the 280mm rotors are enough...but depends what your doing with the car?

If your worried about it then do brake cooling ducts, they aren't too much work or money.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

I do not use the car for track racing - just every day driving. Maybe once a day I will boost the car nicely and then have to brake fairly hard from say 160KM/h to say 60KM/h. As a result the discs buckle and sometimes surface cracks appear. I am using fairly high quality discs from our local suplier and Ferrodo Ceramic disc pads. The brakes don`t "fade" after a couple of hard stops - just the cracks that appear worry me....LOL! :lol:

Maybe 280mm rotors, cross drilled and slotted with decent soft racing pads will help???

phantom

1995 Daewoo Racer

Post by phantom »

Anyone can tell me the best upgrade for this model its almost the same as the Celio but i really want a break upgrade. I would love to know also the type of caliper to match the disk thanks in advance!
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Nubaroo wrote:Thanks for the feedback. However - going from a standard 257mm to 280mm appear not to be very impressive gain in surface area when I look at it.

Also surface area doesn't make much of a difference in braking, with the bigger rotor the pads are furthur out which in return gives it more torque to slow down the rotor. Pads make the biggest difference of all, but if your warping factory size rotors you def should get something bigger
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

Nubaroo wrote:I do not use the car for track racing - just every day driving. Maybe once a day I will boost the car nicely and then have to brake fairly hard from say 160KM/h to say 60KM/h. As a result the discs buckle and sometimes surface cracks appear. I am using fairly high quality discs from our local suplier and Ferrodo Ceramic disc pads. The brakes don`t "fade" after a couple of hard stops - just the cracks that appear worry me....LOL! :lol:

Maybe 280mm rotors, cross drilled and slotted with decent soft racing pads will help???
My mate Rich has a '94 Opel Astra 200TS, which runs the 288mm disks as standard and he only got his brakes to fad after 20 minutes of hard drving at Phakisa last June when we went up to a BMW track day. his disks are just the std ones, but slotted, and we think they faded because he basically boiled the fluid.

From what i can see, it is entirely possible to put on the 280mm Zaphira disks and then make up an adaptor plate and still use the std calipers with uprated pads. Remember you are moving the calipers further out thus increasing the area effected by the torque.

Anyway, either use the EBC pads or trying to get hold of some carbon fibre ones, aint cheap though, i bought a set for my old type Mini with its 7.5" Cooper S disks and the pads alone were 65GBP, they take next to no time to warm up though.

Sean
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

Some more pics of the 280mm upgrade.

Sean
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

And here is us working our butts off :-) I'm the bigger bald guy with the Black shirt

First off we started with a block of billet alloy and used my mates milling machine to create the basic shaped,

the slot is there to clear the CV joint.

And thats it bolted in place. the only prob now is that the caliper is so big, the wheel hits it.
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's