Short Shifter!!!

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Goldenboy
Super

Post by Goldenboy »

anesTHEtic34 I don't know notting about tran but if i'm correct after what you sayed...the clip that you pull to put in reverse is only a lock??? So by removing it I'm not killing my trany?? I was thinking this thing was realy important to go in reverse! Otherwise it would already be cut I hate SCHOOL BUS SHIFTER LOL

Mat 8)
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The lock gate is there just to make sure you don't accidentally put it into reverse instead of first gear.

If you think about it normally you just jam the shifter as far to the left as possible and up to hit first but if you did that without the lock gate you would end up in reverse instead of first.

You would get used to it eventually but I don't see the point of cutting the shaft down... you certainly couldn't resell the car with it like that.
Goldenboy
Super

Post by Goldenboy »

Ya got that Erfinder :) Anyway whit all the mods on it....i'm not planing into selling the car for a long time. Of course if I can get a short sifter for a decent price I'll take it :)

Mat 8)
jimmyc

Post by jimmyc »

So the short shifter you can get in the UK will fit ours? I don't know the tranny of a 2000 Lanos, hell I still have to get my car. But I am getting the parts now anyway. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Thanks,
James Chagnon
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

You can use a B&M shifter, one of these http://www.bmracing.com/products/shft_manual/45102.html

Looks like this;

Alternatively you can use the Euro GTE/GSI shifter from the Mk2/Mk3 Astra or Cavalier/Calibra GSI. These are about 2" shorter than the stock items. Make sure you get the shorter lift up collars too.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Do you know the price for that shifter?
ImageImage
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

mocpac_ser wrote:Do you know the price for that shifter?
I only know the rip off UK price which is a rather absurd ?250ish (that's only ~?100 less than a super duper Quife shifter!). You could get it cheaper by purchasing through a US B&M dealership.

I'm using the GSi one in my Astra - cheap (from junkyard) and does the job.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
azazel19
Junior

short shifter

Post by azazel19 »

will that b&m shifter fit in a 00 lanos hatchback 5sp. because i'm tired of the boring stock shifter
"mess with the best die like the rest"
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

I'm using the GSi one in my Astra - cheap (from junkyard) and does the job.

Stef
Can you put a pic of yoy car shifter? Can I use that one in my nubira? I no have acces to that one can you get me one and how much will be in USD?
ImageImage
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

mocpac_ser wrote:Can you put a pic of yoy car shifter? Can I use that one in my nubira? I no have acces to that one can you get me one and how much will be in USD?
I'll take a pic for you tomorrow and some measurements so you can compare it to your stock shifter.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
jimmyc

Post by jimmyc »

[You can use a B&M shifter, one of these http://www.bmracing.com/products/shft_manual/45102.html ]

I called Performance Improvements in Oshawa Canada and they can get this shifter for 399.00 CDN. If we get 6 or more we get a discount depending on the quantity.
Thanks,
James Chagnon
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

jimmyc wrote: I called Performance Improvements in Oshawa Canada and they can get this shifter for 399.00 CDN. If we get 6 or more we get a discount depending on the quantity.

399.00 cdn IS HOW MUCH IN USD? :?:
ImageImage
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The exchange rate as of today is $1 Can = $0.7445 US

So $400 Canadian = $300 USD

This is not bad considering 250UK pounds = $459 USD
(1UK pound = $1.8389 USD)

And that $459USD wouldn't include the expense of shipping it from the UK to the USA/Canada/Puerto Rico
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

WOW... is espensive. man....
ImageImage