Destroying an F16 tranny

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Destroying an F16 tranny

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I've decided that this spring I'm going to throw in my extra F16 tranny with the rebuilt 2.0L turbo just to see how much power a stock F16 can take.

It will be a while before the engine is broken in so it may take a few months before I bring the boost up to higher levels (I was thinking about running 8-10psi at first )

Eventually I'd like to see boost levels in the 18psi range but that won't be for a while.

I will keep my stock 1.5L SOHC and D16 tranny safe in my garage so that I have a low mileage engine and tranny for testing out any future modifications to the smaller engines.

I can get the F16's from a local scrap yard for $50 to $75 ( I have a deal with them for some other parts so he gives me good prices)

If I manage to blow up the F16 tranny I will see what part broke first which will allow us to know what the weakest part of the F16 is.
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

I'll be watching this with interest. I'm trying to decide between a F20 or the F16 that came with my old 2L engine. F20's stronger but weighs more........... There are more final drive options for the F16 too :?

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'm still shooting for 250WHP which is about 65WHP higher than what GSiTurbo is presently running (correct me if I'm wrong) with his F16.

I personally think something is going to let go at 250WHP but I guess we will see.

After the brake in period on the engine at low boost I'd like to raise the boost in steps to see how the tranny will handle a dyno pull.

I figure I should be able to raise it from 10psi to 18psi via a boost controller and the F16 will most likely break somewhere inbetween these two boost pressures.
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

Erfinder wrote:I'm still shooting for 250WHP
:shock:

F20's can destroy themselves when hooked up to a LET producing that sort of power! These g/boxes tend to strip teeth off the gears (usually 2nd or 3rd) when they go. Never seen one destroy a diff or anything else really. You can fit a Quaife gearset but it's cheaper to fit a F28!

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
john s

Post by john s »

It`s not the HP that brakes a gearbox its the torque. And i know that a F16 gearbox that are in good condition can hold for up to 300hp. I will be running and have always been running with a F16 gearbox. I still use the same gearbox 2 years later. So i dont think 250 hp will be any problem as long as you get the gearshifts right. Miss a gear att full rpm with a 250hp engine and the gearbox is long gone. But if you do your gearshift right and the gearbox will hold a long time.

A friend of mine was running a c20ne with 200hp (without any turbo ore things like that) and were using the F16 gearbox. It was no problem at all. And this car did 0-100km/h in 5.1 sec with a RPM top at 8500 (he had a starting rpm of 5000 ore something from stand still).
Kadett GSi TIC -85
Saab 900 Turbo -97
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

Thats interesting john. I can only say that F16's do seem to destroy themselves on a regular basis with modified Vauxhalls..........don't know why, our driving style, lack of maintainance? :?
I'll wait and see what happens as my engine is nowhere near finished yet, so I have time to choose what I want to use.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'm sure you could use an F16 with 250 hp if you were "nice and easy" on the tranny but since I want to break it so I plan to drive the crap out of it.

I suppose the type of clutch you use would also be a factor, if your power is smoothly slipping into the tranny with a nice organic full faced clutch it probably would be way less shock than if you use a four puck carbon or iron drag racing clutch which grabs and chatters on engagement.

I'm personally guessing the 2nd gear will be the first casulty as I tend to be very aggressive on the 1-2 shift.

Of course the differential could snap a gear tooth or two ( been there done that :D )

I think I'll try a stock clutch first to see how much power it can take... I imagine I'll burn it up so will have to make sure I use a junkyard flywheel and pressure plate (wouldn't want to wreck a good one)
john s

Post by john s »

I was using a organic clutch last year. But dident shift nice at all. Just put the clutch down and get the gear in as fast as possbile. But i have never missed a gear with the turbo engine. This year i have made my own clutch with four puck sinter. But havent tested it yet so cant say anything about it.

But if you want to brake the gearbox just miss a gear and you will se what goes first =). If you want a gearbox that holds together go for the F28 from calibra turbo.
Kadett GSi TIC -85
Saab 900 Turbo -97
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Speaking of breaking...

when i shift to third gear is "scraching" to get in at high revs (4500+) ... i think my third gear synchro is almost dead... :cry:
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph