Power steering acting weird on 2000 Nubira

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Fishbone

Power steering acting weird on 2000 Nubira

Post by Fishbone »

Car just started doing this...at low speeds, or stopped the power steering feels like the "power" part of that equation is cutting in and out, resulting in the steering wheel jerking through it's range of motion. Checked the simple things - lots of fluid in the reservoir, and no signs of leaks...both ok. No weird noises coming from the steering system, and about half the time it drives fine, with no sign of any problem. Any ideas what's up?
2000 Nubira SX
2005 Mitsu Ralli//art
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i am not a power steering expert but lets look at this logically... the part responsble for delivering the power assistance is a simple valve at the steering wheel colum, this valve senses when you turn the wheel and starts to apply the assistance according to the direction you are going... seems that this valve having trouble.

again i am not an expert on this particular car part so better wait for someone with more experiance.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Maybe you have air in the system? I have never bled a power steering system before, but if you take it to your favorite shop, I'm sure they can bleed it for a few bucks and check if that is your problem. Maybe your pump is on the fritz, overall, there are quite a few possibilities.
Fishbone

Post by Fishbone »

Thanks for the input guys...another possible cause I've found by doing some more digging is that Nubira's have speed sensitive power that varies the boost dependant on speed...and input from a specific sensor. So it could maybe be that sensor acting up too. Because what it feels most like is the power assist increasing and decreasing (not going away completely) as the wheel is turned.
2000 Nubira SX
2005 Mitsu Ralli//art
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

well i know on my old lebaron the power steering went out and it would only be a bitch to turn when i'm coming off of a complete stop. actually driving the car was easy since it had the momentum already. if the sensor though isn't throwing a CEL it's probably not that but always worth a shot.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Fishbone

Post by Fishbone »

Yup, I've had a previous car (was a broken PS belt on that one) that suffered complete power steering failure and like you said, it was a bear to turn the wheel when stopped or even at low speed. This situation with the Nubira is not like that at all - just a very noticeable varying in the amount of assist when turning the wheel. At full stop, it's sitll no big problem to turn the wheel, like would be the case if the power steering had failed completely.
2000 Nubira SX
2005 Mitsu Ralli//art
Fishbone

Post by Fishbone »

Problem solved (fingers crossed!) - contaminated fluid. Spent a couple days siphoning as much old fluid from the fill reservoir and then pouring in new - did this several times...drive, take out fluid, add new, drive some more with lots of steering lock to lock to circulate the fluid...and the sticky steering began to noticeably improve. Now it's smooth as silk again!
2000 Nubira SX
2005 Mitsu Ralli//art