carbon/kevlar clutch kits...

everything under this forums belongs to Holland Sport Performance, previously known as: Daft Art Performance.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

carbon/kevlar clutch kits...

Post by gse_turbo »

Well we finally have most of the clutch kits sorted out...

Right now we have 8.0" 1000lb pressure plates for the "flat" (.080" step) and 8.5" 1200lb pressure plates for the "pot " (.787" step).

The disks are avialable in 8.0" and 8.5" carbon/kevlar for both the 1"-14 and the 13/16(3/4")-24 input shafts.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

can you explain this in rice & beans?
ImageImage
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

hehe I'm already on board for this behind the scenes....... but those are the first pics I've seen. Looks pretty nice.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
greenbluewoo
Expert

Post by greenbluewoo »

how much power would these handle
2.0 engine swap in the works
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

I'm with mocpac here. I've a general understanding why these are better, but, could you go into it in a bit more detail?

Their frictional force is greater right? Do they munch up the flywheel though? Would i be best going for a better flywheel too? And do they last longer than a normal clutch, driven in the same way day in day out?

Cheers man, Paul.
SAZ
---------------------
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

These are really good questions, I'll try and answer to the best of my ability but it you have about 10 minutes check out this video from Fidanza, they really didi a good job explaining the system.

This can also be found in the transmission section under Re: the "NEED TO KNOW" from Fidanza... Clutch Kits
Pir0 wrote: •Their frictional force is greater right? YES, because of the way this material reacts to pressure and heat the clamping ablilty is much greater than the OE organic disk.
•Do they munch up the flywheel though? NO, the C/K disk is very friendly to both the flywheel and driver. You'll never see the danamge that a ceramic disk causes with this kit.
•Would I be best going for a better flywheel too? NO, I always recommend a better flywheel but for engine performance reasons not because it's required
•Do they last longer than a normal clutch, driven in the same way day in day out? YES, The materials are very durable and would far out last the OE organic.

NOTE: Even thought the materials are far more durable than the EO type the disc can still "burn up" or glassed it just takes more abuse before it happens.

Cheers man, Paul.
greenbluewoo wrote: •how much power would these handle? This disk is good for around 275-300hp without a problem it's the pressure plate that will limit the power more than the disk.
Garrett
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Just a bumb question - in the video they refer to the "4puck" clutchplate as a kevlar type - from the colour on it, it looks like a copper clutch??? Can anyone explain the difference in behaviour between a copper and kevlar type??

Also what is the cost on one of these kevlar kits????
Nothing is impossible....it just costs more!!!!\

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

368KW/611Nm on wheels @ 2.4bar
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Kevlar is yellow in color....which is what these pucks look like... copper is usually darker.

Don't quote me on this but I belive Kevlar has a better "slippage" than copper/ceramic.

That is to say a Kevlar clutch is streetable because it has a small amount of slippage before grabbing where as most of the copper/ceramic clutches just grab and stick.... making it hard to start off in 1st gear... and you tend to get chatter.

I'm pretty sure the copper content is there not so much for a friction coefficent as it is to help distribute heat (get rid of hot spots) and increase the overall temperature handling characteristics of the clutch.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Chris said it best...

these complete kits are $265.00 plus shipping.

we will be working on several other clutch kit "Stages" that should be ready very soon. if there is an application or type of disc you are after feel free to contact me.

Garrett
xiaogary
Junior

Post by xiaogary »

how abt 7.5 inch with 7/8 X 24 spline?
Aveo 1.7M DOHC
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

any idea what the shipping costs would be to SA???
Nothing is impossible....it just costs more!!!!\

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

368KW/611Nm on wheels @ 2.4bar
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Nubaroo wrote:any idea what the shipping costs would be to SA???
I think it would be around $50 or so but I would have to double check that.
xiaogary wrote:how abt 7.5 inch with 7/8 X 24 spline?
I'll double check to see what sizes hubs are available but I think the 7/8 24 might be a long shot.

Garrett
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

That vid is good. But, in everyday driving with the odd burst of harsh driving, how long would these last? I\ve heard carbon clutches do last a lot longer than normal clutches, probably because there's less slippage in the bite? Any ideas on this?
SAZ
---------------------
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

the advantages in the carbon/kevlar disk is that the carbon and kevlar both have great bite but the biggest advantage is that the kevlar has fantastic cooling properties which is where most of it's long life comes from.

this disk is perfect for the type of driving you described, it's what the disk is made for. the description you gave provides a good rule of thumb and here is how it would break down.

0% race/100% daily driver/commuter car = full "fibertough" or OE organic type disk
70% street/30% drag or road racing under 350hp = full carbon/kevlar, marcel, sprung hub
50% street/50% drag or road racing under 600hp = 4 puck kevlar, no marcel, sprung hub
25% street/75% drag or road racing under 700hp = 6 or 9 puck kevlar, no marcel, sprung hub
25% street/75% drag racing under 700hp = ceramic 4 puck, no marcel, sprung hub
0% street/100% drag racing under 800hp = ceramic 6 or 9 puck, no macel, sprung hub
0% street/100% drag racing over 800hp = ceramic "button" type, no marcel, no sprung hub

these figures are approximations and the complete system (flywheel and pressure plate) will have an effect on how a disk will apply to the chart.

Garrett
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

That chart is exactly what i was looking for.

It also seems this is the clutch I want :P Might be a while before i get one though. But it sounds perfect for what I need.
SAZ
---------------------