carbon/kevlar clutch kits...

everything under this forums belongs to Holland Sport Performance, previously known as: Daft Art Performance.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Pir0 wrote:That chart is exactly what i was looking for.
Yes thats a good informative post Garrett, thanks.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

;)

hey did you get your kit yet!?
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

gse_turbo wrote:;)

hey did you get your kit yet!?

nope :(
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

:shock: should have been there by now, I'll track it and let you know where it is.

Garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

gse_turbo wrote:the advantages in the carbon/kevlar disk is that the carbon and kevlar both have great bite but the biggest advantage is that the kevlar has fantastic cooling properties which is where most of it's long life comes from.

this disk is perfect for the type of driving you described, it's what the disk is made for. the description you gave provides a good rule of thumb and here is how it would break down.

0% race/100% daily driver/commuter car = full "fibertough" or OE organic type disk
70% street/30% drag or road racing under 350hp = full carbon/kevlar, marcel, sprung hub
50% street/50% drag or road racing under 600hp = 4 puck kevlar, no marcel, sprung hub
25% street/75% drag or road racing under 700hp = 6 or 9 puck kevlar, no marcel, sprung hub
25% street/75% drag racing under 700hp = ceramic 4 puck, no marcel, sprung hub
0% street/100% drag racing under 800hp = ceramic 6 or 9 puck, no macel, sprung hub
0% street/100% drag racing over 800hp = ceramic "button" type, no marcel, no sprung hub

these figures are approximations and the complete system (flywheel and pressure plate) will have an effect on how a disk will apply to the chart.

Garrett
Hi Garrett.... are you able to get the 4 Puck Kevlar, no marcel, sprung hub to fit the F28 ??????

I wish the full carbon/kevlar was good for a few more hp.... I am running the 1200lb pressure plate.... but I don't want to be pulling the car apart if the full carbon doesn't hold.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

Are these only for D20/F20 manual transmissions? or would they fit the D16 as well?
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

PrecisionBoost wrote: Hi Garrett.... are you able to get the 4 Puck Kevlar, no marcel, sprung hub to fit the F28 ??????

I wish the full carbon/kevlar was good for a few more hp.... I am running the 1200lb pressure plate.... but I don't want to be pulling the car apart if the full carbon doesn't hold.
hey Chris, actually the 4 and 6 puck kevlar discs like you want are available, this is the same kit that Jason will be installing soon. the 1200lb is ok but I have developed a 1500ld cove as well, the only one available anywhere for the pot flywheel.

daewooluvr wrote:Are these only for D20/F20 manual transmissions? or would they fit the D16 as well?
I have kits for both, both kits are pretty much that same with the diameters being the only real difference. right now the D20/F20 kits are 100% ready to go with the 1200lb and 1500lb covers but I'm looking for someone with a D16 flywheel handy to verify the specs for. right noy I only have the 1200lb cover for the D16, once I get the specs I need I can make the 1500lb cover available as well.

Garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'm using a flat flywheel.... and I'd consider switching out for an aluminum one but I think the engine was balanced with flywheel.... I will have to ask Tom and see what he remembers from the balancing process.

I think 1200 lbs should be enough for now..... I don't have hydraulics.... still mechanical so I'm not sure if I'd want to go up to 1500 lbs

Besides... if the 4/6 puck are good for 600/700hp then I shouldn't need to go with a higher pressure.... the 1500 would probably grab harder than the 1200

Send me an invoice for a 4 puck and we will give it a go.

Chris
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Bel Engines did balance the engine with the flat flywheel and the ARP bolts attaching it to the flywheel, as well as the aluminym crank pulley. Considering that the current rotating assembly is significantly lighter than stock (lightweight rods and pistons, crank pulley and lighter flywheel), changing out the flywheel may throw the balance of the engine down the drain. Perhaps its possible to balance the alu flywheel to the same spec as the flat one?? This way, at least in theory, the balance of the motor will remain neutral.

Post by gse_turbo »

since that list was made i've been able to get most testing in and more feedback. the numbers are pretty correct but more so when used with the 1500lb cover. (at least that's what I've sold the most of) I'm still working on the an uprated cover for the flat flywheel i've really only focused on the pot style because that's what most people have. it may be some time before I have even a 1200lb flat cover, I think the lemans is only 1000lb.

tom made a good point about about matching the balance of the two flywheels. in reality the flywheel should have been balanced before being installed. same with the crank and then everything should have been assembled and then checked and adjusted from there. it's possible that the flat flywheel is balanced on it's on still and swapping them may not affect anything.

let me see what I can do about a 1200 or 1500 flat flywheel, I've had a couple requests so I sould get on that anyways.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I allready have a couple of 1200 lb flat flywheel pressure plates.... so all I really need at this point is the 4puck Kevlar clutch.... if you can send me a price for it we can get this thing rolling.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

sounds good. pm me with your paypal address and i'll get you get you an invoice out to you.
jorge
Expert

Re: carbon/kevlar clutch kits...

Post by jorge »

Hi, did you have a 1500 or 2,000 lbs pressure plate for daewoo lanos 1.6? And how much is the price for puerto rico
Con mas mec.s que un taller jajajajaja Mec. Diaz, Mec. Cheo Racing, Mec. eljunito, y ed flash tunning simplemente los mejores!
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Re: carbon/kevlar clutch kits...

Post by gse_turbo »

right now the strongest pressure plate that I offer is the 1500lb. this is 500lb higher than the 1.6 16v and 300lb higher than the 20./2.2 16v. the standard clutch release bearing can't handle much more then this. even at 1500lb it makes a funny noise once and a while. I've had the same kit for over two years. it's seamtwo cars and three engine and transmission combinations and still looks ad works great. I just had it all apart and inspected about two months ago.

to use the 1500lb pressure plate on a 1.6 you have to modify the flywheel to accept the larger diameter. if you are interested I have just the flywheel you would need. here's a quote from my build page...
gse_turbo wrote: The clutch kit is kinda special. The lanos comes stock with an 8.5" kit and because of the design, you can't outright use nothing bigger. This pressure plate and disc is for a Nubira which uses a 9.0" kit. the whole reason for wanting to use the Nubira kit is that I have already design a pressure plate for the Nubira (and like chassis) that has more plate load than stock. The Lanos comes with 1000lbs of plate load, the Nubira comes with about 1200Lbs of plate load and my pressure plate is at 1500Lbs of plate load.
I really love this disc as well, it's a Kevlar puck disc and it drives amazingly! It's more pricey than a ceramic disc but has close but not quite as much hold as a ceramic. Aside from the great holding power, it drives like stock and it is nearly impossible to damage your pressure plate or flywheel which ceramic and sintered iron are known for. Another cool thing about Kevlar is that you can damn near burn it to no and and as soon as it cools it's just about as good as new.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re:

Post by PrecisionBoost »

gse_turbo wrote: I'm still working on the an uprated cover for the flat flywheel i've really only focused on the pot style because that's what most people have. it may be some time before I have even a 1200lb flat cover, I think the lemans is only 1000lb.
let me see what I can do about a 1200 or 1500 flat flywheel, I've had a couple requests so I sould get on that anyways.
Any progress on a 1500lb flat flywheel pressure plate ???

What are you prices these days for 4 puck kevlar ( F28 ) and the lower rated carbon/kevlar ( F16 ) ?

My T20SED turbo clutch is dead with a capital "D" as it's torn to pieces.

As well I'm dropping in a C20GET (which has a stock clutch) so I should probably drop in a new clutch and pressure plate

By the way, I have a brand new M32 sitting in my garage, never took the time to figure out the missing bits required to install it ( need clutch, shifter with cables, various hardware bits and compatible drive shafts )

If your planning an M32 to Lanos ( or lemans ) conversion I would be interested in a set of drive shafts (ideally high hp )

PM me some prices when you get a chance...... chris
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos