is white smoke from the muffler a problem?

Here you will find general facts about Daewoo Vehicles

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kelzurd

is white smoke from the muffler a problem?

Post by kelzurd »

hey, i got a Daewoo Lanos LS 1999 model,
and most of the time in the morning wen i start my car, white smoke from the muffler comes out
is there a problem with my car?
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

First, where do you live and is it cold outside in the mornings. Second, does the smoke have any odor to it. Third, are you having to put oil in it often. This will help us answer your question.

Jimmy
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

First things first, dip your oil and see if you have too much in it.
SAZ
---------------------
Rodd1s
Expert

Re: is white smoke from the muffler a problem?

Post by Rodd1s »

kelzurd wrote:hey, i got a Daewoo Lanos LS 1999 model,
and most of the time in the morning wen i start my car, white smoke from the muffler comes out
is there a problem with my car?
thats what diesel engines do when they're cold. check your oil as mentioned above.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
kelzurd

Post by kelzurd »

i live in australia, sydney
and its not that cold in the morning, its summer here now

i recently got this lanos, about 1 month ago
the oil isnt at "max" wen i dip it in, so its not too much in it

there is like a order to it, like i said its mostly wen i start the engine of the day
like the first time i drive at any day, white smoke usualli comes out of the muffler, but say the 2nd time i drive that day, usualli wont happen, although it happen like 3 times, but mostly it doesnt happen,

i figure myself, that i thought it was too hot lol, coz where i park it, the sun shines on it, i usualli drive around 11am onwards hardly drive in like 8am or 9am that early, so the sun does shine on my car.

i remmeber once, in the morning, white smoke came out, and i drove to my friend house, and then after a while, i drove again, and then smoke came out again, so it was a 2nd time, but i cant remmeber if the sun shine on it or not,

thx for the help also
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

Tank the plus wires off and check for oil on the sparkplug contacts. Also, remove the plugs and see if there is oil in the cylinders. Odds are it's a cam cover gasket (if I was a betting man)
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

Yeah, I'd go with the cam cover gasket too. Seeing as how it's not cold outside and you're oil is a little below the full line. Probably when the car sits the oil is soaking down through the spark plug hole and into the cylinder causing white smoke until the oil burns away.

Jimmy
kelzurd

Post by kelzurd »

ok

jus wonderin, is it a major problem or jus a minor?

and wats the affects of it if i dun fix it ?
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

Effect will be fouled spark plugs and ruined spark plug wires and loss of engine oil/eventual smoke coming out from under hood from oil puddled on top of cam cover. You're car will start not running well i.e. misfiring. Honestly, rather than risk it I would just go ahead and buy the gasket, plugs and wires and change it all. I did mine and it only cost me a little over 70 dollars. It's not an extremely difficult job and if you need instructions just pm me and I'll get them to you.

Jimmy