What type of BOV should I use for my car?

Here you will find general facts about Daewoo Vehicles

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

john_trickle
Expert

What type of BOV should I use for my car?

Post by john_trickle »

There are a few important factors that will determine the type and size of a BOV for your car.

Engine type - some engines have a very restrictive layout and will only accommodate small BOV, or BOVs specifically made for that particular engine, See Kompact Series (link) and Model-Specific BOVs (link).

The amount of boost your turbo makes ��� high boost will require a high-flowing BOV, while a low boost, street applications will benefit more from a more restrictive BOV.

What should I look for when buying a Blow-Off Valve?

a. Construction. BOVs should be made from hard-wearing and solid material, after all it's going to be put under a lot of pressure and perform many cycles. Check the manufacturer's specifications for the type of material used. All Turbosmart BOVs are made from 6262 T9 Billet Aluminium, one of the hardest-wearing and toughest metals for the job.

b. Adjustment. As access to the BOV may be difficult, adjustment should be easy and require no tooling. Tool-free adjustment is easier and more precise. All Turbosmart BOVs feature a tool-free adjustment system.

c. Flow. The BOV must flow enough to eliminate compressor surge. With a large inlet port (38.1mm), Turbosmart BOVs outflow most other BOVs on the market.

d. Valve Seat. During the years of use a BOV will perform thousands of cycles. It is important that the Valve Seat is strong enough to withstand the wear and tear. Some BOVs use plastic seats or circlip piston retainers, both of which can eventually fail and drop foreign material into the engine. All Turbosmart BOVs feature an integrated billet valve seat, eliminating the possibility of a component failure.

e. Adapter Systems. A BOV must be fitted correctly in order to perform its function. Check whether there are adapter kits available for your car. Turbosmart supports all its BOVs with an extensive range of Universal and Model-Specific Adapters.

How to adjust a Turbosmart BOV

To adjust a Turbosmart BOV, rotate the cap in the ���SOFT��� direction up to, but not beyond, the indicator groove. With the engine at idle, the exhaust port should be closed off by the piston. Free rev the engine and back off quickly. The engine should return to normal idle speed - if the revs drop below idle or engine stalls, increase the spring tension by half a turn. Repeat until the engine free revs and returns to normal idle speed. Test drive the car. If the engine backfires or stalls upon deceleration or gear changes, check all BOV connections, prior to increasing the spring tension again.

JOHN_TRICKLE
Daewoo Lanos 1.5L SOHC, TD04L @ 7psi