How do I install an OEM rear spoiler on 3dr 2000 Lanos?

Here you will find general facts about Daewoo Vehicles

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

mattruffer471

How do I install an OEM rear spoiler on 3dr 2000 Lanos?

Post by mattruffer471 »

I just purchased a rear spoiler for my 2000 Daewoo Lanos hatchback and I have no idea on how to install it. It has 4 bolts attached to it and no brackets were included. It looks like I should drill holes in the rear window to install this!! Can anyone tell me how to install this and if it uses brackets, where can I get them? Thanks for your help, Matt
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

you would have to drill them, no brackets just straight drilling..
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

if you can find someone at a auto glass place to drill it go for it. but i doubt anyone will do it. when i called around for my spoiler they all told me that its Tempered glass so they won't drill through it. on how light the oem spoiler is i say pick a dry weekend and just use some 3M double sided tape or something like that. now just make sure its the strongest you can find. and i say dry b/c it takes about 24 hours for it to set completely. i would wait like a few hours, or better yet all night, after install (if you choose this route)but only for in-city driving.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

nick (lanos 2001) had the same problem, you will have to go get "Gorilla Glue" and epoxy it to your window.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
mattruffer471

Post by mattruffer471 »

Wow, I never imagined that there would be holes in the rear window, does anyone have a close-up photo of this. I would love to see it. Maybe I can find rear glass off of a Lanos in a junkyard that came with a rear spoiler? Does anyone have one for sale?
wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

Spoke to a local car customiser about putting the std spoiler on my Lanos, he told me they glue it on with a special product called Sikafix or was it sikaflex :? . Apparently they use it to stick on front windscreens as they no longer use window rubbers, and all modern cars have "glued" on screens.
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
Pirelli 215/35 P Zero Nero tyres
2woo4you0

Re: How do I install an OEM rear spoiler on 3dr 2000 Lanos?

Post by 2woo4you0 »

Sorry I know this thread is old but it's in the FAQ so I know my info will be helpfull.

There are two popular methods for mounting spoilers without drilling. Most BMW, LEXUS, ect guys do it because they can't bring themselfs to drill into their nice cars. Some are just trunk mount, roof mount, and some have used the methods for mounting spoilers to the glass.

First off, 3m Window Weld, the stuff allot of people use for strengthening motor mounts as well as the obvious purpose of sealing windshields. It isn't considered as good as the 2nd method but it can be bought for under $10 and has allot left over. It's what I used to mount my Lanos spoiler and had enough to seal off my custom front lip, reseal my headlights & tailights, and used allot for another custom thing. I still have some left too. You could use the extra to strengthen your motormounts, it's not my preffered method to do that but it's the cheapest and if you already have it.... Oh, you can buy it at some auto stores I think, but I'd call first. I didn't see it at homedepot, ace, or harbor freight. Online prices for one thing of it is overly expensive but I got a great deal on a pack of 12 online. You'll need a chaulk gun to dispense it which I've seen at homedepot for under $2.

Now the 2nd and probably slightly safer method. This is OEM spoiler glue, little more pricy but if the factory uses it on cars with a max speed of over 130mph you know it'll hold. It be picked up at any BMW dealer for about $18 and here is the part number: Betalink-K1 (BMW part Number 82-69-9-408-866). If I remember right it's like a 3m double sided tape but much much stronger.

Now some people go to an auto store and buy 3m molding tape (I think that's it) but I didn't feel at all comfortable doing that. I went to o'Riley, autozone, and pepboys and didn't see anything that seamed safe. The had several different kinds and when I checked how many pounds it was meant to hold per foot or inch it didn't add up to nearly enough. Nevermind the weight of the spoiler but I wouldn't be suprised if at freeway speeds there's over 300#s of downforce. I'm not sure how acurate that's but I had an ARP wing on my s2k that's what specificy for it and it made over 1000#s of downfoce near my top speed.