When to change timing belt?

Here you will find general facts about Daewoo Vehicles

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

daewhorider
Junior

When to change timing belt?

Post by daewhorider »

Hey i figured since im already doing work on my car to fix my engine i was wondering when shouldi change my timing to prevent a catastrophe, My Lanos is from 1999 1.6 DOHC, 30,000 miles on it. I noticed a lot of timing belt questions on here and serched but couldnt find exactly what im looking for.
Hi, I'm Andrei and I approve of this message.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2667367
Me car
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

I'm not sure what we would call the consensus, but between 30 and 45 is probably about right. I wouldn't go a day past 50, that's asking for trouble.

I change mine every 35k along with teh waterpump and tensioner. Let other people post up and see what they say is the best time to change it.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

The new interval for 1.6DOHC timing belt replacement is 60k km or 36k miles or 4 years.
You're a lucky man.

Daniel
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

I would say the best is about 25-35k not wayy to early but not up there in the ohh crap range. 30k is a good number to be an interval XD.
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

i'd say anywhere between 30k and 50k.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

if your worried about it, its time to change it. you cant change it too early (theoreticaly) but its very easy to change it too late.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
paul8488

Post by paul8488 »

So... I'm guessing that if my 2.0L Nubira timing belt has never been changed and I'm at 130,000 kms I'm on borrowed time...?!?
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

YES, change that belt NOW! lol

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
paul8488

Post by paul8488 »

Okay, I'm looking into it!

Is 30,000 kms not ridiculously low mileage to have to change a timing belt? Is that normal? Strikes me as very very early. If it has to be done it has to be done... I get that... just curious why it's so early.

What happens if the belt fails? Is there usually damage, or does the car just need to be towed and a new belt replaced? I had a car with timing gears and interference between the valves and pistons (a GM 2.5L IronDuke 4-cylinder), and when it failed the engine went BOOM! From the little I understand most cars now are designed to minimize catastrophic failure if the timing fails, but I'm not sure.
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

its a little bit more than just having to be towed away and in need of a new belt... more like in need of a new engine if the belt snaps.
better sooner than later, and as daewoomofo said: if your worried about it, change it.

im sure someone on here would be able to explain in detail what happens "When Cam Belts Go Wild!" and snap lol
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Oooh. When cam belts go wild, havent seen that one yet. Seen a few other of the going wild series though XD

I told a friend of mine he had a non interference engine, aka, wont bent valves if the belt snaps and now he refuses to change the belt UNTIL it snaps lol.

I'm sure there's logic in there somewhere.
SAZ
---------------------