c20get

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

MMamdouh wrote:i was wondering how can boost break followers... now it makes more since that the downshift caused that.

MMamdouh
Boost pressure has a similar effect to increasing valvetrain weight - if you imagine the boost pressure on the back of the valve face trying to keep the valve open. If the valve has more "mass", it's harder to control for the spring and hydraulic lash adjuster.
You can increase the valve spring rate to combat this, up to a point, then you need to convert to solid lash adjusters as well to keep the valvetrain stable at high rpm and boost.
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
C20GET

Post by C20GET »

Well, for what it's worth...

1) I also live in New Hampshire
2) I have an 89 Sunbird GT with 230 thousand miles on the original engine and trans
3) I spent several years driving the car with stock parts at 12 psi boost
4) I currently run boost to a screaming 17 psi using the stock T25 (yes, it's overworked at that pressure)
5) I am using a 3 BAR MAP sensor and modified calibration to control fuel and timing
6) I am using the stock hydraulic clutch
7) I have not floated the valves on any occasion
8) I have not blown any rods, broken any cam followers, blown any head gaskets, or done any other damage to the engine.
9) I'm using the stock, original injectors and fuel pump

I have many, many hours of driving and datalogging invested in this car. I did not make changes by accident.

It's very important to install an intercooler if exceeding about 10 psi. The stock calibration relies heavily on excess fuel to keep the charge cool. If you use this strategy under high boost you'll find that the injectors just don't get the job done.
It's extremely beneficial to adjust many of the timing values. GM loves to use bunches of timing advance when it isn't really needed. There's no need to run the stock engine rpm to 7000 or even above about 6000. That will break things in the valvetrain.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

17Psi on your stock C20GET and T25 are you kidding ???

I belive the 12psi figure.... there have been quite a few guys to push up into that range with the stock engine.

I'm not trying to pick a fight but I really don't belive you.... perhaps your boost gauge is not functioning correctly

Even if you somehow managed to get the stock T25 to push out 17psi it would be producing super hot intake air.... resulting in low horsepower numbers and most likely detonation

I'm pretty sure that anything above 12psi requires a new turbo..... such as a T25/T28 hybrid from a Turbo Grand Prix or a T3 like Ned Southwick was using.

I don't see how it's possible for your stock injectors to push out enough fuel to handle 17psi..... I'm pretty sure they max out in the 12psi to 14psi range using a safe 12:1 A/F ratio

As well there is no way the stock fuel pump can handle that much flow.... even if you up the pressure via a regulator.... you still won't get enough fuel.

You'd have to push the stock injectors well above 60psi.... probably closer to 65psi.... which would immediatly blow the stock fuel pressure regulator.... and most likely damage the injectors after a short term of use.

Ok.... using a Brake Specific Fuel Consumption of 0.57 ( since it's stock and ports need to be enlarged to make use of 17psi ) and an 80% duty cycle with your standard static flow pressure of 43.5psi (3bar) you would need 44.8 lb/hr (471CC) injectors to make 250BHP

In this calcuation I was simply guessing the output of the engine to be roughly 250BHP at 17psi..... but I don't think it's far off the mark for a stock C20GET.

Last time I checked..... the stock C20GET injector specs were not even close to 45lb/hr..... I'm not 100% sure but I thought the stock injectors are only rated for 30lb/h which can just barely handle 200BHP

All the Getrag 282 transmissions I've seen were cable actuated when did a Sunbird come with a "hydraulic clutch" ????

Ned Southwick was running a fairly stock bottom end but there were modificaitons to the top end and he had to install extra injectors ( 5 injectors at first then 6 injectors near the end )

Hmmmm.... well.... here is Ned's car from Jbody.

http://www.j-body.org/members/sunbirdturbo/cars/1/

So.... he was running 20PSI with six stock injectors.... and he was looking to move up to using six 42lb/hr injectors and 116 Octane fuel to hit 25psi

Here is another J-Body/LT3 guy I remember that had piles of upgrades to make 17psi ( including four Mopar 52 lb/hr injectors and a fuel pump from a 1989 Pontiac turbo V6 Trans Am )

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2237171/1

The last thing that made me shrug my shoulder and go "huh???" is the statement about GM throwing in "bunches of timing advance" when it isn't really needed.

Don't you mean "timing retard" ????

GM retarted the timing to accomidate for the lack of an intercooler in the factory setup...... once you get the intercooler in there (and ideally a more efficent T28 or T25/T28 hybrid ) you can advance the timing to make more power.

Sorry man..... you seem like a good guy.... and I know you've been "around" .... but I can't see how you can run a stock C20GET at 17psi

I'd hate to see one of our members go out and try to run 17psi on a stock C20GET...... there are many things that need to be upgraded for that kind of boost.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

I have to agree with Chris on this agenda. Stock T25 will not make anything over 12psi, without running out of breath real fast. You might get into 14s range for a few hundred rpm in the lower range, but thats it. Turbo will fail, and you risk blowing your motor due to detonation. Larger turbo and intercooler setup is a must.

Factory fuelling system will not support more than 13-14psi. On my car, during dyno tuning, this is as much I could go without entering lean condition. Also, stock 28lbs injectors were running at 100%, which is not recommended on a long run. Ideally, duty cycle should not exceed 80-85%, maybe 90% but for short periods of time. Also, get GM Cyclone walbro fuel pump as its well priced and will support more power than you will ever need ;) You can get it off eBay for about $100 or so.

Once you get everything up and running with proper injectors, spark plugs with reduced gap, at least MSD blaster coil - then you can start by advancing about 2 degrees off base timing, and start raising boost. You should get either EGT gauge, or the wideband 02.

Tom

Post by C20GET »

Sorry it took so long to get back to this.

Chris, I am absolutely not kidding. Steady state boost settings call for 16.7 psi but the turbo will actually spike a little higher than that, although that's partly because GM's boost control code isn't able to compensate for intake or exhaust changes. I'll be glad to forward datalogs of the car running if you'd like to see them. I believe I have a few on my laptop. The logs are gathered using Datamaster scantool software logging values from the ecm and the engine sensors. I've had to switch to a MAP sensor capable of measuring a 3 BAR range of pressure in order to accurately read boost above 14.7 psi. The calibration is modified similar to what the Syclone / Typhoon crowd would use when they run the boost up. I don't have a boost gauge in the car other than factory, and that's about worthless since it shares the now 3 BAR MAP signal with the ECM. With the laptop hooked up so much of the time, I never really needed to install another gauge.
Even if you somehow managed to get the stock T25 to push out 17psi it would be producing super hot intake air.... resulting in low horsepower numbers and most likely detonation
This sounds like the type of phrase which gets thrown around the internet quite frequently. "super hot intake air... resulting in detonation." At what air temperature will the engine begin to detonate? Is it an arbitrary number? Or is it a relative thing? A stock engine with a 195 deg thermostat being driven in the southern climates during the summer can easily see intake air temps exceed 105 deg C. Especially if the vehicle is subject to stop and go driving in city traffic. 100 deg C seems pretty hot. I'd suffer pretty severely if subjected to a temperature much above 50 deg C for very long. Yet I rarely hear of anyone claiming their stocker was subjected to "super hot intake air temps" which led to an untimely demise.

Now a turbocharger will heat air as it compresses it, but the outlet temp is directly related to the inlet temp. We don't see average temps much above 32 deg C in this area. Cooler in = cooler out. And much of this car's driving time has been kept to cooler days. I keep an eye on IAT. And many people seem to overlook the fact that compressor figures all hinge around the amount of air moved by the turbo. Even though it's an easy habit to fall into, it's not really about engine displacement but about total air moved. The 8V head is really, really lousy in terms of flow. If I were trying to use this turbo on a better engine, it'd be worthless long before 12 psi.

The stock (roughly 30#/hr) injectors are past the 80% limit. And yes, they're barely good for about 200 hp at stock pressure. According to published numbers the fuel pump is also at it's limit I never would have gotten this far if I hadn't removed timing and trimmed the boost fuel and acceleration enrichment as much as I have. The whole dang thing is like a bomb waiting to go off in terms of fuel supply. Everything is pushed far more than anyone would have thought reasonable. And I would never, never recommend anyone else do this. Likewise I would never let someone set up a car like this. But the difference between what I'm doing and what many other guys have done is that I have spent many, many hours monitoring what's happening using the laptop, my wideband, and my own fairly capable senses where others just mash the go pedal and have fun. Call it an experiment in "just how far can the Sunbird really go?" I'm not a careless or ignorant kid just increasing boost because the car will go faster. There's a method to this madness. The reason I posted the reply I did is because I feel, based on my experience with my car and others, that I've got a fair idea of just what can be done to one of these vehicles and it's more than most think if the car is tuned correctly.

I'm also not trying to pick a fight. I want you to understand clearly that what I've done is actually make changes and use feedback to see how the engine responds to those changes. Rather than ask "everyone else" what I should or shouldn't do, I asked the vehicle. This vehicle responded fairly well. The reason Ned modified his car as he did was because he wasn't working from inside the ecm. He had a fuel curve which became linear with boost pressure increases after about 12 psi. And he was using OEM timing calibrated to about 12 psi, and with too much advance even at that pressure. He definitely needed additional fuel to reduce combustion chamber temps. I use correction tables in the ecm for much of my timing adjustments under boost. The MAT vs boost correction is a good one since that takes into account changes in IAT. Just picking some numbers, at 87.5 kPa boost and 80 deg C the OE table removes 3.2 deg spark advance. I'm removing 4 deg. At 100 kPa boost the the OE calibration still removes 3.2 deg advance. By that point I'm removing 4.2 deg. With a bypassed MAP sensor like Ned had, there's no possibility of change to timing after 100 kPa boost without an add on box. In my 3 BAR cal, at 120 kPa boost I've removed 5 deg timing. And by 175 kPa I've removed almost 6 deg of advance. That may not seem like much, but spark knock is like an avalanche in that it takes a little bit of a "push" to start it but a whole lot to stop it after it starts.

Ned's car is one helluva neat ride. And I can't give him anything but props for making it work. But it was done using stone knives and bearskins. Tony's car, the second one, is a fun car to drive. Being an auto with a high stall it's easy and fast to climb into boost. I think I've got some of the datalogs here from the tuning runs I made with it this past summer. He's up to about 20 psi IIRC. But those Mopar 52 lb/hr injectors aren't all that much bigger than Sunbird stockers when you check them out closely. Turns out Dodge rates 'em at a higher base pressure than GM. But at least they're not priced too badly. Tony's big problem now is making the front tires hook to the pavement. Same story in any front driver: All the weight transfers to the rear of the car.

I don't know when GM switched from cable clutch to hydraulics in the J cars. There are guys that know this type of thing off the tops of their heads but I'm not one of them. I know I've never worked on a Muncie / Getrag trans with a clutch cable that I can remember. I've got a GM manual here for the '86 and '87 model trans and they don't talk about a cable operated system at all. I do know that my 82 Cav with a 4 speed had a cable, so the hydraulics had to be installed between '82 and '86. If I use partsamerica.com and look up a 1984 Cav with 4 cyl (no V6 and no Muncie 5 speed in '84) I find that all J cars had a clutch cable. If I look up a 1985 w/V6 I find hydraulic clutch parts. I am also aware that GM of Canada sometimes does things differently, so there could easily be discrepancies between what you've seen and what I've seen.

GsiTurbo, I've got to say that I've been over 14 psi for a couple of years. The turbo hasn't failed. The engine hasn't failed due to detonation. Yes, the turbo's efficiency decreases very quickly as pressure increases, but it's not impossible to make 17 psi. Part of what I've looked at is the amount of temp increase which occurs, how long I typically stay in boost, and what the air temperature (and humidity) usually is before the turbo heats it. I live in a fairly populated area in northeastern US. I can't get out on a road and drive under boost for long periods of time. Between the types of roads, the traffic, the amount of people around me, and the risk of finding a cop it's just not gonna happen. So the question becomes, "what can I get away with during short acceleration runs?" Well... now the story might be a little different as to what is and isn't possible. I run under hard boost maybe 15-20 seconds at a time max. It's just too dangerous to push things for any longer. I set the car up so parts in the intake path reject engine compartment heat. I chose my intercooler so it doesn't become an interheater. To do this I've used thermal barrier coatings on intake parts to keep them from transferring radiated engine heat and I have a small intercooler which will cool off quickly instead of storing heat. It's an example of picking parts to match their intended application, not because someone else says "you need Brand X."
then you can start by advancing about 2 degrees off base timing, and start raising boost.
No!!! There's no need to advance the timing! GM puts way too much advance into these calibrations, especially at lower rpm and medium to high load conditions. They rely very heavily on the EGR system to cool combustion temps during part throttle conditions, and they rely on fuel to cool the charge under boost. The OE calibrations in these cars go through fuel faster than a 400 hp 67 Chevelle. It's silly to use this kind of fuel with the tools we have today. Cut back on timing, fine tune the acceleration enrichment, adjust the fuel multipliers under boost, and the car responds much better. Add an intercooler and you can leave some of the low boost, mid rpm timing values alone. Increase the timing and all you're doing is asking the head gasket to work harder to seal in combustion pressure, which it really won't want to do.
Once you get everything up and running with proper injectors, spark plugs with reduced gap, at least MSD blaster coil - then you can start by advancing about 2 degrees off base timing, and start raising boost. You should get either EGT gauge, or the wideband 02.
I posted when I first joined this forum that I wanted to switch to a 16V engine. I have one now, so I won't be doing much more with the 8V powerplant. I've done my testing / playing to see what is and isn't possible and that's as far as I need to go. I'm hoping to dedicate a decent amount of time and money to building a good, fun car out of my 'bird within the next couple of years. I've got a few other projects to take care of first, but I do expect to make a fun car out of the 'bird before I'm done with it.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Thanks for the detailed explanation..... I'm digesting the information you've given and will investigate further when I get some time.

I know that you've "Been around the block" with the LT3 engine.... and I remember you talking about reprogramming.... but I just can't get over the system efficiency issues at 17psi of boost.

What A/F are you measuring during test runs?

What fuel grade are you running?

How much power have you managed to make?

I know the factory settings are stinking rich.... but I have to think that your volumetric efficiency is really really poor (significantly less than 70%)

Using the stock throttle body at 17psi is probably a huge restriction.... in fact.... at 17psi... I have to think there are a half dozen restrictions causing poor cylinder filling at mid to high RPM.

You've misquoted me by saying "super hot intake air... resulting in detonation." when I actually said "super hot intake air.... resulting in low horsepower numbers and most likely detonation"

"Most likely detonation" would occur when the system suffers from heat soak..... your only making short bursts of boost..... and you watch the IAT.... but most people wouldn't do this.

I think it's irresponsible to say " hey you can take the stock C20GET to 17psi " which is what I got out of your first post on this thread.

You may have done it.... but as far as I'm concerned your specific tuning of the PCM and careful monitoring of all parameters is the only thing keeping the engine from going "boom" at any given moment.

I disagree with your statement about Intake temperatures.... the primary factor with regards to intake temperature is compressor efficiency... not ambient air temp.

I'm going to calculate mass airflow numbers with a bunch of variables and see where I end up on the T25 maps..... more out of curiosity than anything else.

As far as how you've had to retard timing..... I have to think it's a problem your particular engine has due to low efficiency.... a well designed C20GET should be able to advance timing off baseline factory maps without risking spark knock.

What on earth possessed you to push the engine to it's current state is beyond me.... it's like trying to make a square wheel roll down a hill as fast as possible without shattering into a million pieces.

I'm sure of one thing.... you probably hold the worlds record for least amount of horsepower created at 17psi of boost.

Sorry for saying that.... It's a little overboard.... but.... I usually tell it as I see it.... some people think I'm an asshole.... others think I'm great... either way.... I don't care.

Again.... I'm worried that some people might get the impression that 17psi is "ok" for a stock C20GET.... and it's simply not true.... your engine has significant changes in fuel and ignition maps.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
C20GET

Post by C20GET »

That's a great reply, Chris.

There's a lot to talk about in terms of engine tuning. There are many more clues to help you do a great job if you know what you're looking for.

What I did was not easy. I pushed my car to push the limits of my understanding and abilities. If even one person looks at what's possible with extensive ecm tuning and decides to investigate tuning their own car, then I feel my post was worth it.

This thread is way off topic. I can post full reply on or off list, I guess it depends on the interest level.

To the original poster, I also have some experience with the turbo Sunbird GT engine. And I'm also in NH. Don't hesitate to ask if you need a hand with anything.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I don't think it's off topic..... it's rare that anyone has anything usefull to say when it comes to "tech talk"..... and I think I've made my point to inexperienced guys so that they won't do something foolish.

I'm an electronics engineering technologist but I started out in Petroleum Engineering (got to 3rd year) so I took several engineering thermodyamics courses (which I hated at the time )

I'm familiar with all aspects of automotive engines.... I typcially read text books on dry subjects such as intake design (who knew you could write almost 1000 wonderfull pages on the subject !! )

I try to talk in a manner which most people understand so some of the stuff I say comes accross slightly wrong.... case in point.... the volumetric efficency in the last post.

I don't want to start confusing people by saying that your volumetric efficency was above 100% (which all turbo systems are) .... I was just trying to make a point by saying that you might be getting less than 70% of your theoretical air mass into the cylinder.

To say your running less than 70% VE is very much incorrect... but it allows others to understand where I'm coming from.

In theory.... your maximum volumetric efficency at 17psi of boost would be 215% ( which is to say you would stuff 4.3L of air into the natural displacement of 2.0L )

I'm saying that I doubt whether your managing to stuff in very much of the 31.7 psi (absolute pressure).... it's more likely something in the range of 22psi which is a 150% VE and equivilent to 3.0L of air pushed into the natural 2.0L displacement.

At this point it's just a guess.... but if you give me your fuel type, A/F and max Horsepower at a given RPM I should be able to work backwards and figure out the true volumetric efficency of your entire system.

One could then take projected mass airflow numbers and move back forwards showing the estimated losses associated with each part of the system ( turbo, intercooler, piping, heat transfer, cylinder head ports, valves, pistons, exhaust ports, exhaust manifold, turbine, downpipe, exhaust tubing, muffler.

Don't get me wrong........ this would take a while.... but this is the kind of stuff that interests me.

I have a 99 page guide to reprogramming the PCM..... but to be honest.... I'd prefer to simply use a more complicated system that allows more flexibility.

Most of the Factory and even aftermarket systems seem to be too simple and unable to truely learn to release the true potential of the engine.

My thought is that it should be possible to use certain techniques to maximize VE (and thus power) by influencing how the engine (heat pump) moves air throught the system.

If I ever manage to get some time..... I want to start manufacturing engine management systems and engine specific intake systems for various applications.... which includes flow bench analysis and fun stuff like that.

I'm into design theory more than I am racing..... but unfortunatly my sucessfull oilfield manufacturing business is killing my home life and hobbies... hopefully one day soon I will have my staff trained enough to finally be able to take over some of my duties unsupervised and allow me to take some time off ( about 5 days of holidays in three years..... which isn't exactly healthy.... starting to feel lots of stress )

So anyways.......... you may think your off topic.... but I'm worse... as usual.... but it's all good..... the original post was something that has come up a few times.... and I'm sure this one will fade away like the others.

One of these days a "tech talk" section will be added for stuff like Volumetric Efficency.... but until then..... things have to be laid out in a slightly simpler manner so that guys don't get confused.

Wow....look at the time.... best get to bed.... my daughter turns five tommorow...errrrr.... umm... I guess that's "Today" now.... and I have lots of work to do tommorow around the house.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
C20GET

Post by C20GET »

Thanks for clearing up the VE reference. It did seem like you were referring to the engine's base VE.

I have never heard anyone say they want more complexity in an engine management system. I've heard specific complaints with different calibrations. Complaints like "I want more resolution in the spark tables" or "can we make the VE table extend to the rpm I run the engine at" are common. It's also common to hear a variation on "Why can't the factory make these things simpler to tune" which goes a long way toward explaining why the aftermarket systems are so simple.

I'll put in a bid for OE management. The Sunbird turbo calibration has 2079 variables (a table is considered a variable for this claim) to adjust. Some are relevant only to factory hardware used for testing, but there are still over 2000 possible values to adjust. This ecm is from a family of ecm's known as a "P4." There are specific hardware variations between P4 ecm's, but the basic architecture is usually similar enough that code from one ecm can be used in whole or in part in another ecm. This allows you to import sections of code from at least 3 other vehicles which used turbocharged engines including the Pontiac McClaren turbo Grand Prix and 2 different models of Lotus. And finally, since the code is written in a well documented assembly language, it's possible to write your own custom code to perform tasks exactly as you feel they should be performed. Combine this with some published ecm "mods" such as extra memory, better peak and hold injector drivers, and the ability to "finish" populating various boards with components not originally used in that application, and the factory ecm seems to have a high degree of flexibility.

I actually have a 'Woo / Delco pcm on my desk. I'm hoping to have time to start trying to get the calibration out of it to see if it matches anythign used in a GM vehicle. Might be nice.

I'm a mechanic simply because that's the trade closest to what I want to do for fun. I've spent 3 years pursuing an EE degree, but had to leave when both my wife's parents became terminally ill. I've worked in race shops, high performance shops, dyno shops, a corvette and muscle car dealership, new car dealerships, and I had a business repairing farmer and rancher's equiment for several years in Montana. I've had piles of GM training and a whole lot of hands on experience. I currently maintain a fleet of school buses (easy work and doesn't get in the way of my fun time).

The rest of this post is the reply I typed yesterday. I have to meet family for breakfast. Enjoy your daughter's birthday. Family is far more important than "car stuff."

-------------

I haven't ever told anyone to try and follow in my footsteps, nor have I implied that 17 psi boost is an easy goal to reach. There were a few things I read in this thread which caused me to post my response.
To get 200whp out of the C20GET you would need to port the head, replace injectors (stock size will work fine...don't take a chance with used injectors ), install an intercooler, get stronger valve springs (to combat valve float) and run the engine at about 14psi of boost.
if you ask anyone, the rocker arms are the first thing to blow if you up the boost.
I also worry about bad information floating around. Porting the head will help tremendously, but it isn't needed. I've never heard of the rocker arms failing simply because the boost is increased. I'm not sure what pressure level constitutes "overboost" but I know of a few engines including mine which should be considered fairly high boost. Stronger valve springs will provide good insurance against damage, but I feel good stockers will hold up. The cam really stops making power below the redline and there's no need to run significantly higher. You're better off not to use the stock size injectors at this power level even though it is possible.

Although this one rang so true I had to laugh:
At 180 whp you shouldn't have to worry about the tranny... and frankly.... unless you have a limited slip I doubt very much that you can put that to the ground.
As far as timing, my experience is that GM in the 80s and early 90s loved to use excess timing both in turbo and NA applications. I feel this was probably to help improve off the line acceleration and seat of the pants feel. The best indicator I've found of excess timing before detonation is engine oil temp. Before detonation occurs, engine oil temps will rise. When the crank is too close to TDC for the cylinder pressure to be efficiently converted to mechanical energy, it's the engine oil which takes most of the abuse. As a result the oil temp rises, sometimes considerably. If you back off timing and the temp drops, it's an indication that you probably have timing too far advanced. Yes, you often can increase timing without detonation. But that doesn't mean you're making the most power or that you're doing the best you can for your engine.

Starting in 92 with the LT1, GM really did a much better job with ignition timing.

I have no idea what kind of power my LT3 is producing. The last time the car was on the dyno it was non intercooled and producing around 10 psi. I intercooled it shortly after but I've never returned to the dyno. I use 87 octane fuel and add 4 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to every gallon of gasoline. I use MMO in all my cars. AFR's start around low 12's but peak in the high 12's heading for 13.0 at the top of the rpm range. It's very important to keep the rpm to fairly low levels because higher rpm doesn't allow enough time for the injectors to deliver fuel. I try very hard to observe the stock redline.

I don't doubt the engine's base VE is low. The only real way to tell is to estimate from fuel usage and hp produced. GM's tuning leaves indicated VE greater than 100% even before the boost is applied. I'm fairly sure my 8V engine didn't achieve Indy or Formula 1 engine VE numbers when new. But if you try using the base hp numbers for a 92-94 NA PFI to guesstimate base VE of the turbo engine I'd have to say it's probably closer to 80%. It's sad to think my engine may have lost an additional 10% VE over time.

I am not using a stock TB. I'm using a ceramic coated throttle body and intake from a 92 - 94 pfi engine adapted to the LT3. Tony posted flow numbers for both intake / TB combinations on Darkmuck's site.

I misquoted deliberately. I wanted to address the detonation issue. I agree that lower intake air density is reducing hp from what it could be.

Compressor outlet temp depends on temp change across turbo. Temp change relates inlet temp, outlet temp, pressure rise, and compressor efficiency. Outlet temp is directly proportional to inlet temp. The amount of change is affected by efficiency and pressure rise.
You may have done it.... but as far as I'm concerned your specific tuning of the PCM and careful monitoring of all parameters is the only thing keeping the engine from going "boom" at any given moment.

Yes, it is because of my tuning. I mentioned careful changes and extensive datalogging.
As far as how you've had to retard timing..... I have to think it's a problem your particular engine has due to low efficiency.... a well designed C20GET should be able to advance timing off baseline factory maps without risking spark knock.
Discussing proper timing can occupy an entire thread. When the knock sensor sees knock you've gone too far. It's the ecm's way of catching an "uh-oh." You need to prevent knock, and often this means looking at timing values at lower rpm and lower loads than where the knock appears.
What on earth possessed you to push the engine to it's current state is beyond me.... it's like trying to make a square wheel roll down a hill as fast as possible without shattering into a million pieces.
That's a great analogy. Ned's car seems to serve as an example for so many people, yet it's built with early to mid 1980's thinking. Computer tuning has been around for 20 years, but the C20GET guys don't seem to utilize it. I figure if I can get one or two people at least thinking about what's possible with good tuning, someone may take an LT3 even farther than Ned's. I know at least one guy is well on the way. If nothing else the fuel mileage and reliability can be increased greatly without losing performance. For me it's a matter of pushing my understanding and abilities.

And since the original poster is from NH, I figured I'd say "hi" if the opportunity shows up.
I'm going to calculate mass airflow numbers with a bunch of variables and see where I end up on the T25 maps..... more out of curiosity than anything else.
Well, you'll probably determine that the engine is running in a near vacuum at a temperature near the melting point of titanium. :)
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Finally took some time off work (been working 12 to 16 hour days this week )

This is way off topic.... but it's good stuff... it will make a good addition... and eventually I will move it into a "tech talk area"

ECU complexity.... it's my personal opinion that the stock ECU's and most of the current Aftermarket systems are pathetic.

I would say my biggest issue is that they don't have enough resolution in both ignition and fuel maps and they ignore humidity in their calculations.

Through parallel processing it would be much more efficent to build a nearly unlimited number of maps on the fly... these days memory is cheap.... why not build tens of thousands of high resolution maps using significantly better sensor data.

One group of processors would monitor and log sensor information, one processor would take the log information and compare it against existing maps, one processor would calculate the standard Mass airflow data for fuel and ignition, one processor just for the turbo system (to achieve maximum efficency while controlling boost) and another processor would evaluate information from "extra sensors" to find the most suitable map to follow.

I would also like to integrate wheel speed monitors (tap into ABS system) an accelerometer to measure G forces, a nice wide band O2 sensor, pyrometer,air temp sensors before turbo and after turbo and a hygrometer ( since humidity has a significant role in how the engine behaves )

Basicly I want to create a system that knows exactly what's going on.... instead of guessing.

The ECU will know if you decelerating into a corner in an aggressive manner.... and have specific maps ready in case you plan to power out of that corner.

With the ABS speed sensors the ECU would also act as a traction control system... so it knows where the limits of the traction are via wheel speed versus G levels... and picks a power level suiting your needs.

Ideally... I would also integrate a drive by wire throttle body feeding back to the turbo inlet as a blow off valve... this would allow the ECU to control the pressure levels in a very accurate manner without creating resonant wave patterns like you would find in a regular intake plenum using a simple blow off valve. ( can control the load on the compressor wheel more efficently )

As well.... the throttle body could allow the turbo to flow a larger volume of air than the engine is using if and only if it moves the mass airflow vs pressure ratio point into a mor efficent area of the turbo map.

Sure this sounds complex... but the point is to make a system that can self learn and improve your vehicle's performance as you drive it.

The more time it has to learn the more it can learn and decide exactly how to manage the engine.

Log information would be awesome.... real time data showing things like wheel slippage, G forces, estimated power output... and lots more.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

With regards to the Valve springs... like Stefan said... the boost pressure is a factor.

At 31.7psi (14.7psi + 17psi)you are adding another 10 lbs per square inch of comressive force to the back of the valve versus the stock 21.7 psi (14.7 psi +7 psi boost )

I don't know the exact square area of the valve... but a quick guess would be something in the range of 2.2 square inches (can't remember intake valve size)

So... 2.2 multiplied by 10lbs extra boost gives you 22lbs.

22lbs of additional pressure on the spring is significant.... as well... consider the fact that old springs will be softer than new springs and thus have less opposing force to the valve.

I used 14.7psi in my calculations which isn't completely accurate.... don't forget that the vacuum created by the cylinder moving away from TDC also imparts some force onto the spring.

All in all.... any increase in boost should be counter acted by installing a different set of springs with a higher spring constant.

Now onto the followers.... a turbo engine running 17psi of boost will have significantly higher brake mean effective exhaust pressure.... which means that it will be significantly harder for the exhaust valve to open up.

If I were to guess.... I'd say a turbo system running 7psi of boost would have cylinder pressures somewhere in the range of 500psi at the time when the exhaust valve is trying to open.

At 17psi of boost.... well... the BMEP would be much higher... probably in the range of 750psi

Again these are just estimates... but I would imagine they aren't far off.

So.... your adding 250 psi to the face of the valve... which is roughly 1.6 square inches.

So 250psi X 1.6 square inches = 400 lb

I don't know the pivot points but I can guarantee that a very significant increase in shear force is created due to the extra cylinder pressure.

The cam is pushing up on one side of the follower and the cylinder pressure is pushing up on the other side.... it doesn't take an engineer to realize there is a significant risk of breaking the component by upping the shear force by 40% to 50%.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
C20GET

Post by C20GET »

I understand the argument behind increased spring pressure. I'm not sure I agree with it as it's usually presented. The issue for me is not one of increased pressure on the port side of the valve, but of neglected or incorrectly guessed pressures on the cylinder side. I generally leave the discussion alone because I haven't yet had the chance to get a graph of cylinder pressure and exhaust port pressure to investigate further. I simply wanted to point out in this case that stock LT3 springs can handle higher than factory boost pressure.
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

There has been some very interesting posts put up on here :)

C20GET, are you Slowej from jbody.org? Sorry if your not, I know there are a few people on there that are good with the stock ECU.

The stock springs seem fine with the boost turned up. I know Tony has run past 25psi with new stockers. It's the combo of raised rev limit and increased boost I don't like.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
C20GET

Post by C20GET »

Ahhh... my cover's been blown. :oops:
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I definitly recognize the name Slowej..... belive it or not... I'm not trying to piss you off.... I just like arguing and discussing stuff like this.... even if I turn out to be wrong... I really don't care..... it's still worthwhile discussing the issues.

You mention graphing the cylinder pressure.... I'm curious how you intend to do this... I've been looking for a good solid set of forumulas but given the number of variables it seems there is no simple solution.

I'd imagine cylinder pressure depends on compression, cylinder head volume, cylinder temperature, fuel inlet pattern and a bunch of other variables.... I'm sure one could guess.

I took my numbers from two graphical plots made by Corky Bell (maximum boost).... I simply estimated values at 2.16 atm (17psi boost) while adding in the location of the opening of the exhaust valve.

I assume Mr. Bell published these numbers based upon measurement and not a formula.... but I could be wrong.

Getting the Brake Mean Cylinder Presssure is easy as pie... just calculate in reverse from the torque numbers.... but this is simply the average pressure between 0 deg TDC and 135 After TDC... making it impossible to move backwards from there.

That's part of the reason why I asked about horsepower levels.... I was hoping to move those numbers backwards and do some estimation on totaly system efficency.

You have a very unique motor.... I'd just like to learn a little bit out the system efficency.... since you've pushed the engine to a point where it's at the "edge"
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos