Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Daniel
Expert

Re: Turbo Optra - Now on tuned Haltech @ 225whp

Post by Daniel »

exist3nce wrote:
Daniel wrote:Wow! What a nice job.
Sometime I watch STREET OUTLAWS on Discovery and I'm always impressed what those guys can do. I particularly like Farmer Truck. Do you plan to race too?

Congrats for your coming soon wedding.

Thanks man! Although I think you have me confused with someone else? I don't have any wedding coming soon lol..
Ha ha! My mistake. :oops:
Well, congrats for your job then ;)
7-even

Post by 7-even »

Love how this is coming out. I'm telling you this makes me want to change direction and start a collecting turbo parts lol
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

dyno run looks nice and smooth, we're you running progressive boost to keep the torque locked in around 200 ?

I was sure that your hair dryer would spool up at way lower rpm, seems like your up around 3300 rpm before you get the turbo really moving.

with the T3-super 60 the GSI engine was spooling up around 3750 rpm

after changing over to the larger ballbearing GT3071R the spool up was quicker and more efficient.

I did not get it on the dyno before the partial failure of the clutch plate, but I feel it was making approximately 265 lb- ft at 3400 rpm

why does the dyno graph posted stop at 5400 rpm, I would really like to see how your head flows up in the 6500 rpm range
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

PrecisionBoost wrote:dyno run looks nice and smooth, we're you running progressive boost to keep the torque locked in around 200 ?
I was sure that your hair dryer would spool up at way lower rpm, seems like your up around 3300 rpm before you get the turbo really moving.
why does the dyno graph posted stop at 5400 rpm, I would really like to see how your head flows up in the 6500 rpm range
Hey Chris, I'm not sure what you mean by my dyno graph stopping at 5400rpm? The posted graph goes until 6800rpm .... maybe its too wide and part of it is off your screen ?

As for the boost yes, it is tuned in a progressive manner starting around 7psi and ramping to 10psi by redline. As you can see there isn't much left after 6000rpm... when the turbo and motor are out of their efficiency range. No amount of progressive boost will bring it back at that point.

On the street with more fresh airflow, it achieves the initial 7psi by about 2500rpm which is decent IMO. Lets not forget this turbo is oldschool from 1994 and has been previously "enjoyed" in the Supra it came out of.

Next (winter) season, I still would like to change it to something bigger if budget allows. One of my friends has a used Subaru STi turbo that he is willing to donate, but there's a good amount of fab work again to make it fit.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
exist3nce
Expert

IS300 breaks 600whp

Post by exist3nce »

7-even wrote:Love how this is coming out. I'm telling you this makes me want to change direction and start a collecting turbo parts lol
LOL.. yahhh.. sorry for tempting you haha.. Don't look below..

On another note I've stepped up the power on my IS300 for the 2014 season.

615whp / 400 lbft

The car feels fantastic and the new open exhaust sounds amazing. Also note that we recirculated the wastegate dump for a more refined sound and increased rev limit to 8200 RPM.

Dyno Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMHOraahEEM
Last edited by exist3nce on Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

exist3nce wrote:
PrecisionBoost wrote:Hey Chris, I'm not sure what you mean by my dyno graph stopping at 5400rpm? The posted graph goes until 6800rpm .... maybe its too wide and part of it is off your screen ?
I was viewing it on an IPAD, so it must have cut it off. On my widescreen 56" computer monitor the graph goes up to 6600 RPM.

Ya, it sure takes a dive after 5500 RPM, I kind of expected that given all of the different U20SED graphs ( turbo and N/A ) that I have looked at.

IS300 looks good, perhaps once I sell my manufacturing business this summer I will finally have time to see if I can compete with those kind of numbers with the U20SED that I pulled out of the GSi car before I sold it.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Just for interest sake, I have put the two dyno graphs of U20SED turbo's together.

Both are 10psi max boost, the GSi also had a level of progressive boost. Main differences are turbo size ( T3 Super 60 ) and the major porting + 5 angle grind on the GSi head
Optra.jpg
(202.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Dyno-GSI.jpg
(77.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

^ yep this motor naturally doesn't want to breathe above 6000rpm in stock form. Makes sense though - they designed this variant more for smooth low & mid range torque IMO based on the intake manifold design, cams etc. However, that can be corrected to a degree with the right amount of boost at the right RPM's :)

Just to add to that comparison, I've put my old graph from before with the larger T04B to show that it is possible when the turbo isn't choking things up. If I had this turbo on there now with the Haltech and S2000 COP... wow I could really make some nice numbers and a sweet looking graph!

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Hopefully this summer I will get a chance to put the built 2.0L into either my Lanos chassis or my Opel Calibra chassis.

I'd love to put it into the Calibra, but the transfer case may explode once I pass 325hp-375hp range.

I'm thinking I should be able to manage 375lbft to 400lbft with 22psi then increase to 25psi as I push higher into the RPM range, that is the whole reason for going up to a GT3071R

I also have a new discopotato GT28RS, but I had that earmarked for the stock C20LET

I don't know what the T20SED head will flow like up there, but it has been prepared about as far as I can take it with respect to porting and valves.

If it starts to run out of steam on the top side I will definitely have to look at a different CAM setup.

I already have materials for a new intake manifold ( T20SED as well as C20LET ), I simply lack the time to fabricate anything at the moment.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
7-even

Post by 7-even »

Interesting comparison between the three graphs. Minus the IS300. They're all pretty close. I would have liked to see the optra tuning the haltec AND the old turbo just to see what kind of numbers it would have had. Chris was the u20 head built and ported when you ran it on the dyno? Just wondering if the 5500rpm drop is with the porting and valves or not. I know what trans Jason is running but what did you have in your car? Looks like the torque is past the "200" mark for the stock trans.
Jason are you planing to up the boost past 10lbs or has the turbo simply maxed out? I've always thought the intake manifold was a limiting factor on these motors. The ones available are simply way to expensive so fabricating one seems like the best idea. The ones I've mostly seen still have long runners but are a pretty straight run into the head. Doesn't this limit torque? Running a turbo you should be able to shorten up the runners with a custom manifold gaining some torque and power correct? Your still on a basically stock motor right? So they're still some room to grow with changing a few parts.
7-even

Post by 7-even »

615ho is a very respectable number! Are you going to enter any events this season or just run it on the street? I know you said I shouldn't look but I couldn't resist lol
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

@ Chris: I know you mentioned somewhere you selling your business? That will be a big change... hopefully you will indeed have more time to work on all your projects. It's too bad about those calibra transfer cases ... would be nice if they could handle more.

@ 7: Yes the Hatlech + bigger turbo would be nice to see. And hopefully we will still see that, although it probably won't be with the old T04B I had on there before. As for boost level in general, PSI is only one measurement and the larger turbo you go the more flow each psi really gives you - so chances are that yes I will see more than 10psi - but PSI doesn't really mean anything if its not put in context of which turbo and setup its on. For this turbo specifically tho I won't be going any higher - the power its putting out (225whp) is already at the upper end of its capabilities and the small turbine/exhaust side is choking up the motor pretty bad.

My motor is essentially still stock yes - with the exception of ARP headstuds, Cometic MLS headgasket, and ported/polished head & intake manifold. I'm going to keep it stock for now and cross my fingers it holds together a little longer lol..

The IS300 is 99% a street car.. I usually take it to the 1/4 mile track maybe once or twice a year with friends just for fun.. Its more a 615whp daily driver when the weather is nice LOL
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

7-even wrote:Interesting comparison between the three graphs.

Chris was the u20 head built and ported when you ran it on the dyno? Just wondering if the 5500rpm drop is with the porting and valves or not.

The engine is a T20SED ( basically the same as U20SED ) and the head was race prepped with stock cams, in other words it was heavily ported with all the tricks.

I'm not sure I see the drop your talking about, the GSi dyno shows a drop of 15lbft of torque from 4500rpm to 6000rpm and the horsepower was steadily rising.

The gearbox was an F20 imported from northern Europe with a 4 puck ceramic clutch, it has commonly been pushed over 250lbft for years on end without a problem when it supported a C20GET.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

exist3nce wrote:@ Chris: I know you mentioned somewhere you selling your business? That will be a big change... hopefully you will indeed have more time to work on all your projects. It's too bad about those calibra transfer cases ... would be nice if they could handle more.
It's a good thing and a bad thing ( both business and calibra ).

I already have another business on the side which needs further development.

As for the Calibra, I have decided to install my spare 2WD converted F28 which went through a specialized shop in the UK for the purpose of preparing it for high power rally racing.

I haven't decided 100% as to whether to modify the C20LET or whether I should drop in the built T20SED.

With the C20LET I can throw in some rods, ARP bolts and a good tune of the Bosch system, where as the T20SED will require a standalone.

On the rear end I plan to install a rather large electric motor, with a lithium battery pack, which will give me some serious grunt off the line and allow me to use all four tires on launch.

Electric motors have constant horsepower which gives massive torque at low RPM, but loose torque as you increase RPM

horsepower= torque * RPM/5252

So with just 20hp you get a torque of 210 lbft @ 500 RPM

If you run the motor in short bursts it's possible to push 2-3 times the rated HP through the system.

That is to say a constant 20hp motor over driven to 60hp for less than 10 seconds will produce 630lbft @ 500 RPM

Kind of like nitrous, but in this case I should already have a fairly large amount of torque also going through the front end thanks to the C20LET or T20SED.

In short, yes it would be nice to put all the engine power through the transfer case, but the electric motor thing is something I've been seriously interested in for over 15 years.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

What would be interesting is an electric motor used during launch that powers through gear changes of the gearbox up front - i.e.: launch 1st gear and electric motor kicks in, but when it comes to changing to second and you let off the throttle, the electric motor keeps pushing so that you don't lose as much acceleration during gear changes up to at least 2nd, maybe 3rd gear...

...just a though.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.