Turbo Optra - Now on tuned Haltech @ 225whp

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

exist3nce
Expert

Turbo Optra - Now on tuned Haltech @ 225whp

Post by exist3nce »

Finally after almost 2 months of planning a research I'm taking my car in tomorrow to start the project. I'm putting $3k down to start, which should cover all the parts. They said they will do a baseline dyno, so hopefully I can get that soon. Goal for this project is 180-200whp @ 8psi (might go higher when I have more $ lol). I'll update this thread as more info / pics becomes available............. and ofcourse there will be a video when its done :)

hahah kinky i just had to post too :lol: :D
Last edited by exist3nce on Wed May 21, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 97 times in total.
aveosam
Junior

Post by aveosam »

so your paying someone to do the work? are you getting lower compression pistons? 3 grands alot for 8 psi
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Average going rate for one-off custom turbo setup is about 5-7K+ (4-banger)... And besides, exist3nce will have a peace of mind everything was done professionally and right, without guess work. Keep us posted!

Tom

Post by aveosam »

:lol: only going to cost around 1 grand for me....but neways what kind of work are you getting done? turbo header with turbo and piping ? or are you doing some engine work too?
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

Nice keep us posted :D 8)
T18SED Engine.

GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

aveosam wrote::lol: only going to cost around 1 grand for me....but neways what kind of work are you getting done? turbo header with turbo and piping ? or are you doing some engine work too?
Honestly aveosam, I don't see how you are going to squeeze everything under 1K for a complete turbo setup, that includes at least, but is not limited too:

- custom turbo manifold
- new turbocharger (even at eBay prices)
- turbo gaskets
- silicone hoses
- custom turbo oil lubrication lines in/out with fittings (good luck finding metric-to-imperial connectors...99% of all aftermarket fittings are imperial, and 100& of Aveo threads are metric
- reinforced turbocharger silicone couplers
- T-bolt clamps
- BOV
- oil filter relocation (most likely required)
- injectors with new plugs
- possibly required conversion to full return fuel system
- boost-dependent or Target A/F dependent piggyback
- uprated plug wires
- colder plugs
- gauges
- all the electrical wiring
- various zip-ties, hose clamps, gaskets, bolts etc
- raising rate FPR (say, 10:1)
- custom turbo-back system
- uprated clutch and/or pressure plate + labour
- labour
- gas used to go places to get parts
- dyno-tuning
- all the other parts I have missed

I am not trying to put you down on the system, but simply many people do not realize how much $ is overally involved.

Tom

Post by exist3nce »

aveosam wrote:so your paying someone to do the work? are you getting lower compression pistons? 3 grands alot for 8 psi
lol $3k would be cheap for the whole thing! final cost is going to be $5.5-6K. Staying stock internals for now. Yes I'm getting a shop to do it, because although I would love to do it myself I don't have the resources/tools/machines or enough practical or tuning experience to do such a custom job. I've spent alot of time learning the theory behind it as I at least want to know how the system works and exactly what each part does. If only I had a connection at a shop, could do it for much less. Oh well, you gotta pay to play.
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Any details on what the proposed setup will be?

8psi should be fine on stock internals.

What are you using for fuel and timing control? Tune will determine quite a bit...

--Tim
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

aveosam wrote::lol: only going to cost around 1 grand for me....but neways what kind of work are you getting done? turbo header with turbo and piping ? or are you doing some engine work too?
Pretty much everything is going to be custom........ from turbo manifold, to charge piping, to exhaust, and partially even fuel management. The plan is to use emanage and they will customize it to work with my car. This shop is serious, they will get emanage (or a variety of others) to work in situations they were never intended to. They custom design new circuits if need be to make the setup as reliable and robust as possible. They guy who is going to be working on my car said they have an Asian engineer who they stick in a room and make him work out solutions to ecu / fmu electronics problems if any come up LOL.

The shop specializes in Subarus, but they also do the 1 time custom jobs like mine. The guy who is putting mine together has over 8yrs experience building up almost every kind of car. When I went there the first time, they had a custom turbo job being done on a previous gen tiburon, a vortec s/c being installed in a g35 coupe, 400hp+ K20 RSX being built up, b18 turbo civic hatch, many WRX/STis and a few 240sx's. Needless to say I was impressed.
aveosam
Junior

Post by aveosam »

GsiTurbo wrote:
Honestly aveosam, I don't see how you are going to squeeze everything under 1K for a complete turbo setup, that includes at least, but is not limited too:

- custom turbo manifold
- new turbocharger (even at eBay prices)
- turbo gaskets
- silicone hoses
- custom turbo oil lubrication lines in/out with fittings (good luck finding metric-to-imperial connectors...99% of all aftermarket fittings are imperial, and 100& of Aveo threads are metric
- reinforced turbocharger silicone couplers
- T-bolt clamps
- BOV
- oil filter relocation (most likely required)
- injectors with new plugs
- possibly required conversion to full return fuel system
- boost-dependent or Target A/F dependent piggyback
- uprated plug wires
- colder plugs
- gauges
- all the electrical wiring
- various zip-ties, hose clamps, gaskets, bolts etc
- raising rate FPR (say, 10:1)
- custom turbo-back system
- uprated clutch and/or pressure plate + labour
- labour
- gas used to go places to get parts
- dyno-tuning
- all the other parts I have missed

I am not trying to put you down on the system, but simply many people do not realize how much $ is overally involved.

Tom
alot of freebees and no labour costs....the turbo core is going to be free but i am getting it rebuilt with everything for $200.....my dad is a mechanic and he does alot of free work for people and he gets alot of stuff for really cheap or free...custom exhaust and intercooler is free....its just really the fact that my dad has alot of connections that I can get this done for real cheap but theres not way ill be spending 2500-3000 on getting a turbo setup on my car...and we know what to do because it isn't our first time boosting a vehicle. my dad has a gmc jimmy with a supercharged 350
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

exist3nce wrote:Pretty much everything is going to be custom........ from turbo manifold, to charge piping, to exhaust, and partially even fuel management.
Welcome to world of Daewoo 8) There is very little available off the shelf... but thats half the fun!
exist3nce wrote:The plan is to use emanage and they will customize it to work with my car..
Emanage for fuel and timing will be good - you should have a real weapon on your hands in a little while.

Good to see you did your homework on the workshop and found a well established, knowledgable and helpful workshop too.

Sounds to me like you're on to a winner :smt028

--Tim
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

I guess I forgot to mention, the price will also include all labour and complete dyno tuning.
aveosam
Junior

Post by aveosam »

ubuyau wrote:
exist3nce wrote:Pretty much everything is going to be custom........ from turbo manifold, to charge piping, to exhaust, and partially even fuel management.
Welcome to world of Daewoo 8) There is very little available off the shelf... but thats half the fun!
exist3nce wrote:The plan is to use emanage and they will customize it to work with my car..
Emanage for fuel and timing will be good - you should have a real weapon on your hands in a little while.

Good to see you did your homework on the workshop and found a well established, knowledgable and helpful workshop too.

Sounds to me like you're on to a winner :smt028

--Tim
Thats what I love about these cars....its not just like a honda civic were you can just open up a catalog and order a part that a million other people have bought off the shelf too because everything needs to be custom....its frustrating at times but very satisfying in the end
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

I'd look into getting a qualife lsd from Chip. It's a bit pricing but makes it sooo much easyier to drive. Even if I wasnt on the track I'd get one if I could spare the money. It's much more safe to drive because the cars easy to control under accel.

So when Is this going to be done anyways? Or at least when are we gonna see the baseline dyno?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

aveosam! get me some of those free parts :)
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph