Reducing Compression for Turbo engine

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

or you can use the excel i posted :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: come out to give you 3mm exactly to give you 8.1cr (added to a stock gasket)
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I only added that post with the mathmatical calculations for those who might be inerested in how the numbers are generated.....

I hate the idea of simply trusting someone elses calculations without going through it myself.

Plus.... as I go through the math it helps me understand all the variables that are influencing the end results.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

i'm not shooting you down or anything, i was just pointing out that for those that do not know certain factors (such as rod length) or understand the algebra to get where you did can use a calculator like the one i posted to achieve nearly the same results.

in the end... all three sets of calculations get you to the same place (within a certain degree of accuracy)

something i was reading today on this though, is that the use of thicker headgaskets is discouraged for any higher boost engine. the fuel burn quality can be choppy with thicker gaskets (due to random shape fluctuation in the gasket), which can cause for odd turbo behavior and even post-detonation (explosion in manifold) which can be terrible for a turbo.

long and short, if you want to push more than 10psi... look into a different method of lowering your compression!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Here is a quick guide to spacer thickness.

To get the ideal gasket thickness simply add the gasket + spacer

Example.... factory gasket = 1.3mm and you want a 1mm spacer..... buy an MLS gasket that is 2.3mm thick when compressed.

This is meant as a "rough" estimate for compression.... it should be acurate enough to pick the right size but I'd encourage people to check the results using the spreadsheet Audacityracing gave and the calculator link I gave.

First set is the Leganza 2.2L with 9.6:1 compression
Second set is the Nubira/Forenza 2.0L with 9.6:1 compression
Third set is for the C20XE with 10.5:1 compression
Fourth set is for the Lanos 1.6L with 9.5:1 compression
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

Here's that dxf file I created. I also added the profiles for T3 inlet and outlet flanges.

http://www.daewootech.com/users/stefan/ ... Spacer.dxf

The spacer should be 1.6mm thick stainless steel and the flanges should be at least 10mm thick.

You'll need AutoCAD to view it or another dxf viewer.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

Audacityracing wrote:Something i was reading today on this though, is that the use of thicker headgaskets is discouraged for any higher boost engine. the fuel burn quality can be choppy with thicker gaskets (due to random shape fluctuation in the gasket), which can cause for odd turbo behavior and even post-detonation (explosion in manifold) which can be terrible for a turbo.

long and short, if you want to push more than 10psi... look into a different method of lowering your compression!

The spacer method of lowering compression causes problems due to the combustion space becoming more knock sensitive. People have used spacers with high boost by decreasing knock sensitivity using water injection.

It's not, as you say the best approach :) but it serves people well that are on a budget.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
Audacity Racing
moron

and thanks for the dfx
Roadrunner 16V

Post by Roadrunner 16V »

In my engine I use special pistons for the compression reduction. Whit these i come on 8,2:1

Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

Those pistons are nice! So are those conrods! :twisted:
Planning for some big hp? :D

For other people on the board do you have the part number or job number of the pistons and the conrods? As well as the manufacturers? If you can give the info it'll help others greatly. 8)

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
Roadrunner 16V

Post by Roadrunner 16V »

Yes i planing something :wink:

these pistons you can buy at www.dsop.net -->Produkte-->Motorblock and scroll down to "Kolben"
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

They have some nice stuff..... but as usual... very expensive.

We can get forged pistons over here in around the $650 USD range..... the price on that site was 999 Euro... which is about $1200 USD
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
dog

Post by dog »

Erfinder@PrecisionBoost wrote:They have some nice stuff..... but as usual... very expensive.

We can get forged pistons over here in around the $650 USD range..... the price on that site was 999 Euro... which is about $1200 USD
where O where can you get forged pistons for our engine for $650. i so want to boost my car but do not want to just throw in a gasket.
04 Suzuki Forenza 2.0 with dreams of 325 hp per liter.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Just noticed this additional question.....

I think it was JE Pistons that quoted me that price ..... you could get them through a distributor as well.

Debo had a group buy going for JE Pistons but nobody was interested at the time.... http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3274
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

getting into topic...

if i add a spacer that combined with the gasket has 1.7 mm of thickness... how much will that be?

Efrain.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
Audacity Racing
moron

what's the gasket thickness in question?