Reducing Compression for Turbo engine

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Reducing Compression for Turbo engine

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I just thought I'd bring this up.... my original guess of adding 1mm to the head gasket thickness was almost bang on.

I found a company in the UK that supplies a special gasket for the 2.0L 16V that is meant specificly to reduce the factory compression down to a level that is acceptable for addition of a turbo.

They are advertizing a 1.9mm Kevlar gasket for a couple hundred dollars.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

What else do you need when you lowering the compression? If i remember right it would be highly effective to have adjustable cams... but not required?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
Mr_Efficiency

Post by Mr_Efficiency »

Yeah, if you raise the head to much it can throw off your timing, why do you have to lower the compression, is it really that high? theres guys on other forums boosting cars with 9.5:1 comp with no problems you just cant go to high on the boost.
I know its better to take out the compression, I'm just saying its not a necesity to boost a car.
Mr. Efficiency

-91 Pontiac Grand Am SE (stock car) - 2.3 Quad 4 HO
-90 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP clone in progress - 3.1MPFI / Future holds: 3100 turbo, 5 speed
-And a pile of parts in the corner that will someday become a 2.0 DOHC turbo GASE
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Sure you can do it with 9.5:1 and you will make more power than if it were 8.8:1 but the margin for error is significantly higher.

A few mistakes in tuning the 8.8:1 won't be as serious as mistakes with the higher compression.

With 8.8:1 you don't need as high of octane either.... you could probably get away with mid grade with a low boost application. (6psi).... although premium grade would make more power.

Given he lives in Arizona..... I think he should go with lower compression.... they get some awfully hot days out there in the summer.

I don't think you will have to worry that much about rising the cylinder head 1mm..... hard to say.... I've never done the calculation to see how much it rotates.

Hmmmm lets see if I can do an estimate..... I'm going to guess the cam gear is around 120mm in diameter (roughly 4 3/4" )

I don't have one with me to measure..... but that dimension seems about right.

Ok....... so..... the circumference is found as 3.1415X120mm =377mm

Divide that by 360 degrees and you get 1.03mm per degree.

So.... if you raise up the cylinder head by 1.03mm it should equal roughly one degree of rotation of the crankshaft gears.

Hmmmm..... one degree doesn't seem like much.... I don't think that you would have to worry about having adjustable cam gears.

It's going to move both cams 1 degree clockwise...... I can't remember which way the cams normally rotate.... Clockwise or CounterClockwise

So it will either advance the cams by 1 degree or retard them by 1 degree.... depending on the normal rotation direction of the cams
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

A lot of people have doubled up on head gaskets, added spacer plates, etc. when turbocharging the C20XE - none have worried about cam timing or fitting adjustable cam pulleys...

Who was the supplier of the head gasket? If you don't want to make it public, pm me.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Stefan wrote:A lot of people have doubled up on head gaskets, added spacer plates, etc. when turbocharging the C20XE - none have worried about cam timing or fitting adjustable cam pulleys...

Who was the supplier of the head gasket? If you don't want to make it public, pm me.

Stef
So i can add 2 gaskets and go turbo... how long have they last Stef?
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Stefan wrote:Who was the supplier of the head gasket? If you don't want to make it public, pm me.
I don't remember... I just happened upon the site.... I don't think it was courtney....hmmm.... not sure.

I personally would go with a custom Multi Layer Steel gasket..... Tom said he can get a variety of thicknesses.

I thought Kevlar might be a bad idea.... so I didn't bother keeping the post.... I thought Kevlar broke down over 500 degrees.

Do you know much about Kevlar gaskets?

I know they are used on the intake sometimes.... but this was the first time I had heard of one being used as a cylinderhead gasket.

The info I was interested in was the fact that they specified this 1.9mm gasket specificly for reducing compression on the X20XEV for a turbo conversion.

I will see if my browser history still has it in memory.

Chris
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Can you throw some numbers on how thick ill need it?

Remember that the XE has a 10:5 compresion.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

to get teh xe to 9:1, you'd need to add 1.2mm onto the stock gasket :?
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

Efrain A. wrote:So i can add 2 gaskets and go turbo... how long have they last Stef?
Yes, Courteney in the UK used to do turbo conversions on the astra using the two head gasket and spacer plate approach. Most of these were good for up to 260hp iirc. Their life depends on installation and what you use the car for. I have known people to poorly fit them up and blow gaskets within a couple of days...
For a 10psi boost they'll be okay as long as they're properly installed and detonation or long periods at high engine temps are avoided.

Stock XE gaskets are 1.3mm when compressed. Spacer plates are normally 1.6mm thick and made from stainless steel. This gives and extra 2.9mm of thickness over the stock single gasket. Gasket and spacer bore are 87.7mm.

I'll try and upload the dxf file for the spacer onto my space on your server in the next few days (maybe tonight if I get the chance) you can then give it to your tuner to get one laser or plasma cut.

Erfinder: I asked about the gasket as a friend wanted one. I couldn't find a supplier (that I knew of). I wasn't going to recommend the steel one as he doesn't want to get the block and head surfaces re-machined for the proper surface finish required by the steel gasket.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I couldn't find it in the history on my browser here at work.... so it was probably on my home computer.... I will do my best to find it for you.

One of these days I'm going to measure the cylinder head chamber volume so that it's easy to come up with all the required info..... I keep forgetting to do it..... perhaps I will get some time over the holidays.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I can't find the link at home..... but I did find this...

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=36487

I also found a guy talking about how he used a 1.9mm head gasket on his calibra to lower the compression to 8.8:1

So.... perhaps I was confused... perhaps the Kevlar 1.9mm gasket was for a C20LET to move the compression down a tiny bit.

If the stock gasket was 1.3mm and the lower compression one is 1.9mm then the difference is only 0.6mm
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

check www.racingdownloads.com for a set or racing calculations in excel. there is a head milling calculator in there and if you LOWER compression, it gives you a negative number and that's the added distance you need to add. that's how i firgured my number up there for the XE
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

here is a great site for these questions.........

http://not2fast.wryday.com/turbo/compre ... sion.shtml

I came up with my own mathmatical forumlas bases upon simple volume and compression calcuations and it turned out to be the same as I found on this page. (very close )

A 1mm spacer should bring the stock 9.6:1 compression down to 8.8:1

based upon my calculations an XE an extra 2.9mm would bring the compression ratio down from 10.5:1 to roughly 8.1:1
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Ok... some math....

Total Volume of cylinder / Compression volume = compression ratio.

The total volume of the cylinder is simply 1/4 of the engine displacement plus the compression volume

The compression volume is made up from a series of things.... compression chamber volume, gasket volume, spark plug displacement, valve displacement, piston volume, deck to piston clearance volume.

But fortuantly.... we don't need all these pieces of info to calculate the change in compression for a given gasket thickness.

Since Total Volume ( Tv ) = cylinder displacement (Cd) + comp volume (Cv) we can substitute into our first equation and move things around a bit.

Tv = Cd + Cv

Tv / Cv = Comp ratio (CR)

so...

Tv = ( Cv )( CR )

Substitue Tv= Cd + Cv

Cd + Cv = (Cv) (CR )

Further reduction of formula gives...

Cd = (Cv) ( CR - 1 )

Since we know the compression ratio and the cylinder displacement we can find the Compression volume

( 1/4 )( 2.0L ) = Cv ( 9.6 - 1 )

0.5L / 8.6 = Cv

Cv = 0.0581395L = 58.1 CC (cubic centemeters)

(1L =1000CC)

So... now that we know the Compression Volume we can add a spacer and then move backwards to solve for the compression ratio.

Lets add a 1mm spacer

Let's also assume that the spacer is slightly bigger than the bore.... so let's make it 87.5mm in diameter and 1mm thick.

The volume this spacer adds to the Compression volume can be found as follows:

Spacer Volume = ((3.1415)( 8.75cm / 2 ) ^2 ) ( 0.1 cm )

Sv = 6.013 cm^3 = 6.012 CC = 0.006013 L

So the new volume equals the stock Compression volume plus the spacer volume

New Volume = Cv + Sv = 58.1 CC + 6.013 CC = 64.113 CC = 0.064113 L

Putting this new compression volume back into the equation gives us...

(1/4)(2.0L) = Cv ( CR - 1 )

0.5L = 0.064113L ( CR - 1 )

0.5L / 0.064113L = CR -1

CR = 8.78873

So the new compression ratio with a 1mm spacer is 8.8:1

This is just a "quick" estimate as there are many more factors which need to be put into the real calculations.... which is done on that link I gave on the last post.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos