gse_turbo's new-bira (dialup warning)

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

some better pics of the porting...

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

pulled the pistons today... the bearings look ok but there was a ton of play in the rods on the crank :? the skirts on the pistons are pretty well scratched but I think they will polish out. I'll order new rings just to be safe.

Garrett
greenbluewoo
Expert

Post by greenbluewoo »

the porting looks good did you use a dremel and what kind of bit did you use
2.0 engine swap in the works
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Looks like you had fun with the porting! Sorry to hear that sooo much work is needed. Keep it coming.....
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

...well day 14 (original due date) has come and gone :/

Post by gse_turbo »

thanks guys, it's a Dremel brand but it's a bit more industrial than the average one. instead of using the usual 1/8" shank it uses 1/4 shank like most air tools. I used a couple different carbide bur bits and a couple different sanding drums. I'll have to post some pics, it's a pretty cool tool.

Well when I first got the car I had planned on getting it on the road by today but that is WAY out of reach.

I think I've oredered everything I need beside the piston rings. just waiting on...
•flanges for the turbo and header
•thicker head gasket
•oil cooler adaptor and cooler
•oil pan gasket

I'll have a lot more progress to report by the begining of the week :/
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Ah i wouldnt worry m8. I hate setting dates for car stuff anyway, can never stick to them. Always soemthing else that goes wrong or happens in between.

Looks like you're ready to rock'an'roll once you get them parts though, which is good. Love the feeling of getting new parts to slap onto the car. Can't beat it, it's so addictive too.
SAZ
---------------------
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

well what was supposed to take a few days have turned into a few weeks. I was first hoping I'd have the car on the by friday last week (before the piston issue). then I pushed it back to the Friday that just passed, would have made a nice two year anniversary from the first time the car was fired up (still waiting on parts :roll: ).

the parts are still rolling in, and we're finding little gremlins but it's very close. (fingers crossed) I'm hoping the piston rings and and oil pan gasket are the last of the parts for the motor itself. I had to order a different water-to-air intercooler because of Clarence issues so now we're waiting on that as well.

while I'm waiting on the engine parts we started in on the electrical. this is where the last of the gremlins are hiding so we're pretty much just going to take it back to factory and start over. it looks the the eManage was run to the correct wires on the ecu but it wasn't wired in properly.

there is one question I have... what is this plug in the pic? it looks like a radio plug in but it's not. it was run into an aftermarket alarms but all that's been removed. do the Nubi's come with a factory alarm system and remote door lock system?

Image Image Image

I should have a really good amount to update by tuesday, stay tunned :D

Garrett
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

well I'm gathering up the parts trying to make the final Friday night drag before the season is over. I have a ton of pics but not really as much progress as I'll like, once more is done I'll post an update.

...right now I'm just going to add links to old threads from Debo, sort of giving me a history of the car.
head gasket and coolant issues

the disaster

the first time it was up for sell

"blocks"
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

well no major progress, still waiting on the new water-to-air intercooler, catch can and some parts to do the battery relocation. just got the ball hone in to clean up the cylinder walls so I'll hopefully be putting the motor back together today.

like I said, no major progress but here are some pics anyways...

de-cast and balanced rods
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

the old JE pistons :roll: I STRONGLY dislike the quality of these pistons and I'm not being parcial to Wiseco. the used a 85mm core for these 86.5mm pistons and you can see the forging marks where there wasn't enough material to be cut away. it's minimal so I just had the pistons reconditioned but it shouldn't have been that way from the start. at first I thought it was damage or detination but you could still see clean lathe marks, it just never touched the area. there is scorring on the skirts but what I'm referring to is on the crown above the rings, sorry fo rthe poor pics :/
ImageImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I ordered this off brand wastegate diaphragm ($25) to try and save a couple bucks but it didn't work (like Tial said it wouldn't) so for $50 I got a genuin Tial diaphragm assembly and got it back together. :? no shots though with the top on for some reason.
Image Image Image Image

Tial wastegates (and I'm sure all wastegates) come with specific vacuum fittings and I DO NOT recommend changing them out. the reason the diaphragm tore in the first place is because someone changed the fittings and they threaded in to deep and actually made contact. if you have to change the fittings make sure you cut the threads short like here.
Image Image
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

here is where the water supply for the turbo should be tapped, there is more pressure here than the back side o fthe head where it was before.
I tapped two 1/4" pipe thread holes, both spots are just as good but I like the one by the bolt hole becase there is more material fo rthe threads.

got my oil cooler plate in, it took a little effort to find the right one, I'll actually add these to the site once the car is done and I have more time for an product update. ...keep in mind that they wont come red, just wanted to paint mine :D
Image Image Image

got the head cleaned up a little and got one of our new products on :D the factory 9.9 grade torks bolts are ok but these are 12.9 grade stainless cam cap studs and nuts, not a set price yet but once the car is done I'll get back to adding new products to the site.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

and here are some pics of my valve cover and another part I plan to add to the site very soon, a carbon fiber spark plug cover :thumb:
Image Image Image Image

Garrett
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

gse_turbo wrote:here is where the water supply for the turbo should be tapped, there is more pressure here than the back side o fthe head where it was before.
I tapped two 1/4" pipe thread holes, both spots are just as good but I like the one by the bolt hole becase there is more material fo rthe threads.
You tapped both? My cooler Z20LET therm has the same piece tapped on the left.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

ya I did both, I'll see which one is easier to run lines from and plug the other. that and I did it so incase I need a water for soemthing else a can have it handy, nothing in mind just an option.

Garrett
ls400x

Re: gse_turbo's new-bira (dialup warning)

Post by ls400x »

Do the cam bearing cap fasteners commonly fail requiring the different ones?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I've never heard of the factory fasteners failing
ls400x

Post by ls400x »

Oh, so one of those non value adding upgrades...

Did you consider a oil-water heat exchanger instead of an oil-air? Oil-water (coolant) is really quite an elegant solution

Are you worried that you remove the nice outer layer with the residual compressing stress by fringing the conrod?