NA mods for 1.6 E-TecII

Post by khoobear »

Currently driving an Optra magnum '07 1.6m E-TECII

mods done so far:

1) pipercross open pod
2) lightweight crank pulley
3) adjustable vernier cams
4) 270 deg camshafts
5) 4-1 header w/o cat and 2nd center bullet removed & replaced with 2" straight through with operated stock muffler
6) VTTR front mini 6pot brake kit w/ 302mm rotors
7) rear slotted and dotted brake disk
8) 2 point front under bar
9) upsized rear anti roll bar
10) 4 point lower side brace
11) rear lower bar
12) BC coilover
13) short shifter
14) lighten flywheel with stock clutch

i would like to go down the N/A route and currently im thinking of changing to hi comp pistons and maybe lighten and knife edge the crankshaft.
what compression pistons shld i be looking at and other things should i change?
and also i would like to maintain street drivability and occasional track my budget is about USD2.5k
Mr.Psycho

Re: NA mods for 1.6 E-TecII

Post by Mr.Psycho »

Hey man

Well few things, the more power you get from it the more drivabilty for everyday you'll lose. But things like individual throttle bodies, from maybe a larger bike ie gsr 38mm throttle bodies. Too large throttle bodies will lose low down power.

Then you'll need piggy back chip or ful standalone management to bring out the motors full potential. You'll most probably need arp bolts for the conrods as you'll be revving the car a bit harder to make the power.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I would suggest looking towards the SBD Motorsports for ideas on your N/A 1.6L

If you look at the kit for 190bhp they have moved to 11.5:1 compression pistons with forged connecting rods.

In the 164bhp setup they have inserted ARP bolts in the connecting rods to move the Redline from 7250 to 7750 RPM

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Taper%20Kits/New ... uction.htm

here is the price list : http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Price_List/Vauxh ... 20list.pdf

With your budget their kits are probably outside your range, but the information is good to help you see where you make the power, which is allways by increasing the Redline.

So personally, I would look towards increasing the strength and decreasing the weight of the pistons and connecting rods.

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

Go into Vauxhall and you will find an assortment of parts for the 1.6L engine
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
khoobear

Post by khoobear »

Mr.Psycho wrote:Hey man

Well few things, the more power you get from it the more drivabilty for everyday you'll lose. But things like individual throttle bodies, from maybe a larger bike ie gsr 38mm throttle bodies. Too large throttle bodies will lose low down power.

Then you'll need piggy back chip or ful standalone management to bring out the motors full potential. You'll most probably need arp bolts for the conrods as you'll be revving the car a bit harder to make the power.
ITB is abit too extreme for everyday use i guess. it im not going to go further, i will do a ECU retune to realise the potential of the mods done so far. :D
khoobear

Post by khoobear »

PrecisionBoost wrote:I would suggest looking towards the SBD Motorsports for ideas on your N/A 1.6L

If you look at the kit for 190bhp they have moved to 11.5:1 compression pistons with forged connecting rods.

In the 164bhp setup they have inserted ARP bolts in the connecting rods to move the Redline from 7250 to 7750 RPM

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Taper%20Kits/New ... uction.htm

here is the price list : http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Price_List/Vauxh ... 20list.pdf

With your budget their kits are probably outside your range, but the information is good to help you see where you make the power, which is allways by increasing the Redline.

So personally, I would look towards increasing the strength and decreasing the weight of the pistons and connecting rods.

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

Go into Vauxhall and you will find an assortment of parts for the 1.6L engine
thanks, have been looking at the site for awhile. but the kit is for LHD if im not wrong whereas mine is a RHD so modification would be needed and also, the space clearance between the block to the firewall, need to do some measurements.

im thinking if i use back the stock pistons, and i shave the block by 2mm to increase the compression, can the pistons n rod withstand it? (however, i read that shaving of block is the least recommended way to increase compression).

another question, if i change to a high comp pistons (flat top), say 11.5:1, would it have enough clearance for my 270cams? or do i need to have a valves pocket on the pistons?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

SBD is in England, all Vauxhalls are RHD

I would not think that RHD vs LHD would make much difference.

If you shave the block your likely going to have problems with the piston clearance anyways, so either way the pistons need replacement, I would however suggest staying away from shaving the block by any significant margin.

With respect to pistons, you would have to contact someone like SBD who use high lift, high duration cams with high compression pistons.

I'm more of a turbo guy, I see N/A builds as pointless, but I'm not here to comment on what you like, so I'm trying to help you as best I can.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Mr.Psycho

Post by Mr.Psycho »

I agree with Mr Precision, boost is my favourite lol.

Why not see if you can source x16xe pistons, they are just about flat top pistons and the motor istelf has a compression ratio of 10.5:1. If the daewoo and opel heads are the same cc then it should up your compression. See what stock cams the x16xe guys can fit to the heads before piston replacements are required.

Unfortunately I have to clue how much parts cost your side of the world. But while your motor is apart balancing, lightening and flowing of your head can be a good way to help increase the power/torque.

One other way its to go for the small block 1.8 crank and pistons with your block bored out to 80.5mm.
This will produce more power/torque as you have more cc's.

Just remember the more mods you do to the motor keeping it n/a the more low down power you will lose. So daily driving will be harder.