1999 Daewoo Lanos 1.6L DOHC

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

caselles

1999 Daewoo Lanos 1.6L DOHC

Post by caselles »

Hello Forum,
I'm new here and I don't know THAT much about cars in general, but I plan on learning on the job. I'm mechanically inclined and will be doing all the work myself (for the most part, aside from an engine bore or whatever route I decide to go.) First and foremost, I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly which engine is in my car. I've read various things, which are all inconsistent... is it the X16XE ? Please help? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
A16DMS Looking for parts. Message me if you can help. Headers/highflow exhaust mani.
highflow throttle body/intake manifold.
valve springs/lifters/cams
caselles

Re: 1999 Daewoo Lanos 1.6L DOHC

Post by caselles »

After a quick google it looks similar but not exact. IDK if its the E-Tech II or not... The throttle body is quite different and on the engine it dosnt say "ecotech" it says "E-Tech"
A16DMS Looking for parts. Message me if you can help. Headers/highflow exhaust mani.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Welcome.

The specific engine code is A16DMS. There is a plastic engine cover that would have said D-TECH, which sounds like its been removed.

What are you looking to accomplish?
caselles

Post by caselles »

Thanks for the response. The Plastic engine cover is still on it and it says "E-Tech" on it. Im not exactly sure yet, just pricing out parts at the moment, id like to go N/A prolly.
caselles

Post by caselles »

gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

That's my mistake. I should have said E-Tech, D-tech is what was put on the 2.0 motor. At any rate the engine code is A16DMS.

It shares a lot of parts with the 1.6 Aveo and Wave in North America as well as othe Daewoo 1.6 motors around the globe but the Lanos configuration is unique to that chassis.
caselles

Post by caselles »

Thank you very much for the info. Are there any Opel parts that fit it?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Many of the internals are the same specs but virtually none of the cylinder head parts.

There really isn't much reason to worry about what does and doesn't fit other Opel engines because anything you could want for your build is available specifically for the Daewoo 1.6.
caselles

Post by caselles »

Oh great, that is really good news. I'm currently looking for headers. I would like 4-2-1 possibly 2 1/2 or 3". What do you think? I have a 3" intake at the moment and would like to go 3" all the way back. I dont really want to have to weld my own exhaust all the way back but if I absolutely need to I can, but I definitely cant weld the headers.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I did a set for 4-2-1 with a 2.5" collector back. It was good but it seemed like I gave up a little torque. To really take advantage of te type of exhaust N/A you would really need 11.0:1 compression ratio or hight.

2.0" is the biggest I would suggest for the 1.6 as is.

If you're interested and intend to raise compression ratio, my header is for sale since I'm in a different motor now.
caselles

Post by caselles »

I am interested in raising the compression ratio at some point. How much are you asking for the headers? you can PM me if you'd like, or just post it here. However what is all involved in changing the compression ratio? Engine bore? new piston heads? rods? valves and springs? lifters and cams? What can I keep stock?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

My suggestion for an N/A bottom end build would be Wiseco pistons, modified stock rods with ARP bolts, ARP main studs, new bearings, lightened flywheel, balanced rotating assembly.

I'll send over that PM.
caselles

Post by caselles »

As I said, I dont know much about cars in general.. I know what the majority of the parts are in an engine, I dont know about the abbreviations though, such as ARP. I also dont know what the benefit of having higher quality pistons and rods are? At what point is it necessary to replace those? I understand that you can break them if you have too much power, but does replacing them actually increase your horsepower? or just make them able to withstand more horse power coming from other mods? Where am I getting the increase in horsepower by replacing those other things? I understand replacing the exhaust and intake will give me some. but where can I get more without a Turbo?