2000 Daewoo Lanos S 1.6L

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

tfulton11b

2000 Daewoo Lanos S 1.6L

Post by tfulton11b »

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have been searching and searching for performance parts for my car. I live in the United States and besides a few bolt on like cold air intake and a few chips I can not find anything. I would love to re-do the internals and few extra mods (cam, intake, etc.) and build my engine then eventually when its ready and I am bored with current mods install a turbo. Any info or internet sites that you know of to order such parts and any info on parts in general to buy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Trevor
tfulton11b

Re: 2000 Daewoo Lanos S 1.6L

Post by tfulton11b »

also quick note. The B series engine for Honda civics produced in the US were 1.6L DOHC engines with minor differences. wondering what if any parts could be used on my car. thanks again
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Hi Trevor, welcome to the forum

Well, you've come to the right place. There is a ton of experience and willingness to help by the members here.

To get straight to the point, I have specialized in developing and selling performance products for GM/Opel/Daewoo for nearly ten years. Virtually anything you could possible want is available and it really comes down to budget. There are options for simply upgrading the standard internals or going fully forged items.
tfulton11b

Post by tfulton11b »

Well budget isnt much of an issue as this will be a slow process build. I really just wanna have my car performance ready. I want to strengthen all the internals to have it ready for a turbo to puch around 8-13psi (big range i know, just depends on where my car stands at that time) as well as forged internals i would like some other power adders increasing hp leading up to the boost i.e. cams, heads, and intakes. Thanks again
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

That's actually not a lot of boost. I've seen the standard 1.6 16v manage well at that level with no mods. The factory rods are forged so they will handle quite a lot of abuse. Unless you plan on 20psi or so I wouldn't worry about aftermarket internals.

I would consider ARP rod bolts, coating the factory pistons with ceramic tops and low friction skirts and then increase the ring gaps for boost. I would also suggest polishing the crank and balancing the rotating assembly.

That type of setup would be safe for 15psi+ and cut the cost in half.

Doing a less expensive bottom end means you can focus your buget on the cylinder head. In my opinion, the head will achieve the biggest results.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Where are you located?
tfulton11b

Post by tfulton11b »

Washington state
tfulton11b

Post by tfulton11b »

do you know any good turbo kits for my car that can produce the 15-20psi boost? for somewhat affordable
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

The most affordable options I've seen actually use the factory cast manifold. I've seen the non-turbo outlet cut off and the turbo flange welded on. Another option is making a U-pipe that positions the turbo like a 'top-mount' turbo system.

The Lanos doesn't offer a lot of room for turbo placement so there are to two things I would suggest before anything.
- Relocate the oil filter from the left side of the block to the right side of the block. I'll try and illustrate this if needed. I have an example from Team Insight on the WTCC Lacetti which is simple and awesome.
- Relocate the radiator & A/C fans to the front of the radiator (or A/C condensor). A custom fan shroud will be needed and may require two new slim-fans.

Those things will give you a lot of room to where you can mock up the turbo location with everything still together and the car functional. Then you can decide what's best.

Other options are available, some involve modifying an already available manifold and of course custom. My suggestions above stand for any direction you go. If you want to make a tubular manifold I sell the header flange if you needed. I'm trying to finish a couple header projects right now but if you like I could probably take on one more.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

sounds like good advice, my only input is:

1 ) The build up of a 2.0L is cheaper in the long run, it will make more reliable power and it is a direct drop in.
2 ) Be sure to focus money on sensors and engine management ( wideband O2, EGT, standalone ECU )

Before starting, is your car a manual 5spd or an automatic ?

Your gearbox/transmission are the main limits to maximum power levels.

Are you are mechanically inclined ?
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
tfulton11b

Post by tfulton11b »

it is a 5 speed. I know some about this stuff but im no mechanic and I am on a military base with really no means to work on it myself