Lemans/Kadett Project status: ACTIVE

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Efratech
Admin

Re: Lemans/Kadett Project status: ACTIVE

Post by Efratech »

Yesterday we took apart the block... a bit messy hehe but everything looks ok.

Left the block at the machine shop for a clean up and a little skim on the bores nothing major.

Just needs a new water pump and a set of piston rings.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

The car is painted but is still all apart, is been sitting there for more than a month.

The head is missing parts so I may have to buy one from the UK, it sucks really.

The front windshield was cracked and cant find it anywhere locally.... another headache.

My goal was to have it on the road by this time of the year but could not make it, disappointed.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Why not convert to the ecotec head?
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Since im running the Honda ECU, will need to fabricate a bracket for the ignition, pontiacjeff style... im kinda tired of not having a car and its more and more stuff going on.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

gse_turbo, whats involved on switching to a ecotec head?

I'dont know much about it.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

It just dawned on me that the crank will make that hard to do if you have the 16v crank.

If you have the 16v crank you would basically have to start with a complete Optra/Forenza motor.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

gse_turbo wrote:It just dawned on me that the crank will make that hard to do if you have the 16v crank.

If you have the 16v crank you would basically have to start with a complete Optra/Forenza motor.
I knew that just wanted to confirm it. Its a early XE block.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

After what? 2 years?

The block is finally together :D ... just missing a water pump (ordered).

The bottom has ARP rod bolts and studs.

Last time I used SR20 piston rings and went ok, they look/measure the same as C20XE so went with them again.

Why you ask? well bloody shipping kills me everytime I order something from the UK.

Still missing some head internal parts (lifters, springs, etc) but made a quick mock up to make a inventory of all the parts that were sitting around.

For those that dont know, thats a Honda ignition im running a OBD1 Honda management for easy programing.

Efra
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Well, the status should be changed to: NOT SO ACTIVE :gib:

The car has a 1.6 SOHC engine right now, the XE is on hold. It fires up but since it has the Honda management needs to be mapped.

I changed the ball joints and tie rods for some german items I found locally.

Basically whats left is: mapping, refresh the front seats, door cards (if i can find them since one of them is missing since the shop moved), hood vents, rear wing, rear brakes and to the body shop for some paint polish.

I dont like to say when it will be out anymore since everytime I set a date it has to be changed, but I really need the car it sucks to take the bus.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Hi Efrain,

Glad to read you!
ECU mapping is still a strange thing to me. How do you do this? Is it like a bios change? What material do U use? Simple PC?
Could it be done on old "ALDL" ECU?

Thanks,
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Its rocket science for me to but in hondas case from what I understand the OBD1 ECUs bin file can be modified via an EPROM, you download the bin file, modify it and upload the info to the ECU.

Heres a video from 2007 of my mapping session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXNnviX08c8
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Efrain: Good to see you and your ride are still around! It looks really good in that pic. I like that you've converted to OBD1 Honda ECU... around here there are SOOO MANY tuning options for that platform. Alot of guys with OBD2 Hondas convert back to OBD1 because of the tuning / mapping possibilities.
Daniel wrote: ECU mapping is still a strange thing to me. How do you do this? Is it like a bios change? What material do U use? Simple PC?
Could it be done on old "ALDL" ECU?
Honda OBD1 ECU mapping (tuning) is done in the same way as most other engine management platforms. You need to go through the fuel/timing maps in the ECU and determine (usually on a dyno) how much fuel and timing the engine wants at all the various load and RPM points. You use a laptop pc with special software and an ECU simulator/emulator to do this. Then once you are done you "burn" (write) the final maps to a special EPROM chip and install it inside the OBD1 ECU. At my shop, they tune many Hondas every month in this manner. Its relatively quick and cheap to do - that's why its so popular.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

If you were close I could give you enough interior/exterior parts to build three cars, it's unfortunate that the shipping would cost more than the value of the parts.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

That big pile of water between us sucks.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

And for the first time IN YEARS....

FINALLY DROVE THE CAR !!!!!!!!!!!!

:ctf: :ctf: :ctf2:

Needs alignment, mapping and lots of stuff but FINALLY!!!!!!

:D :D