Lemans/Kadett Project status: ACTIVE

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Efratech
Admin

Re: Lemans/Kadett Project status: ACTIVE

Post by Efratech »

You know, still today I'm kicking my self about it.

I'm one of those guys that love the "factory engine" kudos no matter what...

No Saab engines around here unfortunately.

Challenge? Its not about the challenge is about being able to source parts locally.

Im still confused.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

It's been realized that the standard iron ECOTEC head flows better than the XE head anyways. Keep your bottom end and swap in the late model head and manifolds.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I have two good 16V heads kicking around my shop, but I have to wonder how much it would cost to ship and whether it would actually arrive at your place.

I'm pretty sure there are some problems with this, if I remember correctly the XE and SED have different timing belt shapes ( notches are different )

I'm guessing you could modify it by either using XE parts on the SED or SED on the XE, but I can't be sure about compatibility.

Lastly I do have a good C20LET head ( still on my engine )

I was planning to insert the high power T20SED into the Calibra, originally I planned on moving the C20LET head over to the T20SED block to make the conversion of the electronics easier, but now I'm unsure.

I would like to run 400whp in the Calibra, I know that the factory Bosch system is pain to work with so I was considering a standalone management system.

If I'm going standalone then there is no real reason for me to swap the C20LET head over, if anything I would be going backwards because the T20SED has been heavily modified in every single way to be able to flow high boost levels at 8000RPM.

As well, I would have to solve the issue of making the timing belt system compatible between the T20SED block and C20LET head

So........ like I said....... I could probably give you a T20SED or a C20LET head if you want, my biggest concern is shipping.

The last thing I want to happen is for you to say it didn't arrive or it was damaged.

Chris
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

I think that would be a cool swap... I definitely know the pains of hard to source parts :(
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Chris,

Once again thank you for trying to help.

I kinda have my mind all madeup but not 100% sure.

Ive looked into the SED head but need to change more stuff to get it right.. and then need to sort where the hell im going to put the Honda ignition !

Is the Calibra engine apart already or you´re using this as an excuse to start working on it? :badgrin: (i mean this in a good way)

Shipping is not an issue, local mail kinda sucks but there a couple of private companies that do a great job, basically all located in Miami then ship them up to DR.

On friday I bought 2 second had OEM engine mounts for the FWD SR20 for $55 USD... and only took 30 mins to have them both in my hands...

Cant beat that availability of parts...

The car should be paint ready this next week... after that is the engine...
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

What's the placement of the sr20 mounts like?
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Went to the shop today and its slowly getting more work. All the glass is off the car.

We started working on a non GTE bonnet because I was told the one it had was bad repaired bye the oldddd owner, but once I told them I wanted the GTE vents on it, they decided to repair it.

They didnt want to sacrifice both of them to make one. They're hard to find lately.

If someone can give me a hand, Im after the rubber that goes around the rear and front windows.

Let me know if anyone knows where to buy it.

8)
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

benzino wrote:What's the placement of the sr20 mounts like?
On the timing belt side should be similar to the x20sed, the position of the main mount of the tranny also changes, but nothing crazy.

Once those two are in place the third one on the back can be custom made.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Update:

Before we got the car into the final paint process we decided to start the SR20DET since it will "need" fabricated mounts and such.

On our first attemp we first aligned the engine using smaller and bigger size jacks on the bottom.

We could not get it align corrently with the shafts (straight) due to the intake not clearing the master cylinder.

With the intake off we moved the engine about 1 inch more to the back and this time looked good for the shafts.

This is the front transmision mount.

And this is the engine side.

The FWD SR20 uses a side mount around the cam belt (chain) area.

What are you looking here (similar to the XE front mount) is were the alternator goes and the factory SR mount (just hanging there).

The PS pumps runs on the other side of the engine (were the alternator should be on the XE).

So we're making a custom mount base using the SR's alternator placement and the SR's factory engine mount location. (more pics to follow).

After this we started to draw how the base mounts would be.

Both mockups are done, but my cell phone died just before I could take a pic of the engine side one.

The backmount (the firewall one) also aligns very good with the base location on the SR's transmision, so we will make another custom base for it.

To our surprise since both XE/SR are similar in size the factory MK2 mounts will be used!

Next is to finish the base mounts made to finally fit the engine and then work on the shafts and inner CVs.

And about the intake manifold, since I had a custom one made on the XE we will custom fit it into the SR20 :wasntme:

Im very happy with this because I didnt want to cut/weld or modify anything related with the mounts.

More pics to follow!

Efra
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Wow nice progress so far! Is that last picture your car with the old setup?
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Yes that was the old XE :(
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Looks like a nice fit :D

It also looks like it would fit a lot better if you were RHD too...
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Don't know if you have seen or heard about this? Looks pretty insane/awesome
http://www.ynet.com.au/images/Kadett_Hybrid.pdf
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

benzino, its the first time i've seen that!

Looks pretty awesome but I would have used an SR20!

Well recent news are that the SR20 swap is dropped, I found an XE head locally, where you might ask...

This Lacetti runs in the Dominican Touring Series, this car was built by RML is an ex WTCC car that ended up in one of the islands in the caribbean and then was then bought by a Dominican.

As you know this car uses the XE powerplant and the first engine it had blew up a while a go, they know me from Boostiao and for my car, in first race of the year I asked if they had some spare parts because they have bought some high spec XE engines from the UK and other lower spec ones.

One of them is a 2011 spec XE from the WTCC Cruze! with a price tag of 21,000 GBP :shock: (includes ECU and other electrical parts)

Anyways they said they had a spare head from their first engine and it was almost factory spec just ported and springs as far as i know.

It looks in very good shape, so back to the old and trusty XE we go!

It will be taken appart for a full check and clean up.

:badgrin: :D
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

those valves look HUGE!!! hahaha
awesome work mate