Thinking about another engine in my lanos

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

stancypers

Thinking about another engine in my lanos

Post by stancypers »

Hello,

I'm from Belgium and i have a Daewoo Lanos 1.5 from 2001.
I myself don't do the maintenance, i just know a lil bit about cars.
I recently saw a 2.0 GSI Opel Astra motor on the net for not much money and i was wondering that it will fit my lanos, I don't know the condition, its with steering box it says and all cables -> http://www.2dehands.be/auto-onderdelen- ... 25730.html
Also found this one with gearbox -> http://www.2dehands.be/auto-onderdelen- ... c_id=&afd=

I accually wanna know if this works without to many troubles, i will probly let my mechanic here in the neighbourhood do all of the work, but is this all worth it or will i lose alot of money? How much money does the work gonna cost you guys think? I was just wondering if it is possible for me

Thx
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Re: Thinking about another engine in my lanos

Post by gse_turbo »

Don't bother with the first one. The minimal gain isn't worth the work.

If you are serious about doing it you should move on the second one. It looks like it is Ina MK2 chassis (1985-92 iirc) which is good. You will need the engine mount and bracket and all the accessories like power steering pump...

It's an east swap and it's a direct bolt in but you will need everything that they will give you. Its all the little parts that are overlooked which make the job easy or hard.
stancypers

Post by stancypers »

Oke, thanks for your quick reply, so i will send a mail to that guy, btw, the engine is also chipped!
But what should i definitly ask so there will be no problems?
And would it be alot of work for a mechanic to do the job, and easy? Because i wanna spend my money on the motor, and without to much money to spend on the work
So if anyone would be so kind to give e list how things work and what i definitly should ask, that would be wonderfull and i'll be on my way to a faster lanos!!!

Thx and greets!
stancypers

Post by stancypers »

Oke, the engine has got 255 000km's or so, and it runs good the guy says, i don't know anything about engins so i don't know how i can be sure if this engine is good
He asks €750 for the motor, transmission, all the cables and i can get the steering pump with it he says
What u guys think?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Hi stancypers,

Beside the mechanical job, do you plan to use you modified car on the public domain? If so what can be the added cost for a adapted insurance and mandatory new "certification of conformity"?

Thanks,
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

The price is fantastic. Every bit of it is pretty much a direct swap. Here's alist of a few things you may have to deal with...
- power steering lines/hose
- A/C lines/hoses, if yo plan to use that
- ECU, Engine harness and instrument pannel (this will be the hardest)
- fuel line hook ups

I'm not sure what year vehicle the motor is coming from but you can choose to keep the gearbox that is already in your car or the one with the engine. In either case, the old one is cable clutch release and yours is hydraulic. Make sure you keep the hydraulic system, it's a direct fit to both gearbox.
stancypers

Post by stancypers »

Ok, thanks for the replies, i know alot more now! i think i found a nice motor, i can buy it at €500, with computer and cables, and all the stuff to mount the motor, i also asked about the steering pump, and he has everything laying around, and the motor has 144 000 km's or so, i definitly gonna buy this one i think!

Greets
stancypers

Post by stancypers »

Ok, i probly gonna get the last one i showed next week ;)

So, if i'm correct, i need the motormounts and brackets with it, so i can fit the engine properly, i need the power steering, the computer is already with it, and all the cables also, forgot something? Here it is -> http://www.2dehands.be/auto-onderdelen- ... c_id=&afd=